Paid Members Scratch Posted January 8, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 8, 2024 Yup, same here. Spent all of Christmas Day and Boxing Day that year playing the Destruction Derby demo and bought it on the 27th with the Christmas money I'd received. Remember having to go out and buy games, even having the disappointment of not finding stock? Great days. Quote
Merzbow Posted January 8, 2024 Posted January 8, 2024 TIL that Majora's Mask's dialogue is often so depressing because Miyamoto is a bit of an evil cunt and it was developers projecting in to the game because of him forcing such horrible crunch. Quote
Merzbow Posted January 9, 2024 Posted January 9, 2024 Double post but this is a cool follow on from the Wrestlemania VHS. I might have to watch the full documentary now. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted January 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2024 These look sooooo cool! Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted January 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 10, 2024 I have very happily, after only recently starting a new playthrough of the original game, discovered KeeperFX, a fan-made open source Dungeon Keeper remake. It's been around in some capacity since 2008, but the first "full" version was released in November. The graphics are more polished, there's a lot of bug fixes and quality of life improvements (like being able to click and drag when building rooms, rather than doing everything one square at a time), and a ton of new keyboard shortcuts, as well as a "New Game+" version of the original campaign, a ton of new levels, and workshop support to add new levels, mods and new content, and a multiplayer mode. It's a lot of fun to play, but hard as balls at times. There's a level relatively early on that's pretty tricky, but can usually be won by turtling in the middle of the map and letting the Heroes and a rival Keeper fight it out between them, but with the new AI, the new Keeper is just that much better, it makes it a lot harder to keep on top of it - they're smarter in combat, and will take your monsters prisoner, which allows them to replenish their numbers much quicker than usual. I'll see if future levels are that hard too! I also discovered a fun story from the development of the original Dungeon Keeper, that at one point there was a feature where rival Keepers would send threatening messages to your fax machine or printer if you were playing late at night, but it got removed because it freaked out beta testers. I 'love mad ideas like that. Quote
westlondonmist Posted January 11, 2024 Posted January 11, 2024 On 1/10/2024 at 8:11 AM, BigJag said: These look sooooo cool! what about a handheld with trackball and a paddle? Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted January 11, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 11, 2024 I like it. A bit perplexed that it looks like it'll only play Atari games. I can't really think of any good Atari titles. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted January 12, 2024 Members Posted January 12, 2024 Thought this might be of interest to some. https://www.theguardian.com/games/2024/jan/12/the-15-greatest-sega-arcade-games-ranked Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 12, 2024 Posted January 12, 2024 57 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Thought this might be of interest to some. https://www.theguardian.com/games/2024/jan/12/the-15-greatest-sega-arcade-games-ranked I could feel myself getting angrier with each scroll down thinking they'd forgotten Daytona. Glad they didn't. It's actually quite a tough list to put together considering how many bloody good arcade games they had. Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted January 12, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 12, 2024 (edited) I'd switch OutRun and VF2 around, but fully agree with the number 1 pick. Virtua Racing is far too low though. Virtua Tennis is noticable by its absence though and should be in there. Also, if it really was a true top 15, Daytona 2 would also be listed. Not a bad list though, overall. Edited January 12, 2024 by Scratch Quote
DavidB6937 Posted January 12, 2024 Posted January 12, 2024 1 minute ago, Scratch said: I'd switch OutRun and VF2 around, but fully agree with the number 1 pick. Virtua Racing is far too low though. Virtua Tennis is noticable by its absence though and should be in there. Also, if it really was a true top 15, Daytona 2 would also be listed. Not a bad list though, overall. Daytona 2 definitely doesn't get as much love as it deserves, but I always put that down to the lack of home release meaning a lot of people just forget it. I often forget how much I enjoyed Virtua Tennis in the arcades, mostly because I played it way more at home over the years. But it's such a simple yet effective game. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted January 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 21, 2024 (edited) How's everyone doing? I've recently been offered a Japanese N64. I already have a UK one. Is there any benefit in owning a Japanese N64? Edited January 21, 2024 by BigJag Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted January 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 21, 2024 (edited) Virtua Racing is far too low on that list. I've been playing the brilliant port by M2 on my Switch, and it's fantastic. Mind you, that's most of M2's ports for you. I wish they'd pop their Streets Of Rsge collection on there that was on PS3/XBox 360. EDIT: The D-pads on those Atari controllers both look horrible. Edited January 21, 2024 by jazzygeofferz Quote
Paid Members FLips Posted January 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 21, 2024 Based on the ones I've played I can see why Space Harrier ranked so high for the cabinet alone. Like they've said, the game isn't great but that cabinet shotting you about is wild. Crazy Taxi and Outrun are a blast too. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted January 21, 2024 Paid Members Posted January 21, 2024 My memory of Virtua Racing is playing it in a huge sit down motion cabinet. Which was an incredible experience. I can't help but think that even a quality conversion. Will be a disappointment on a handheld device. @jazzygeofferz what does the home version offer over the arcade game? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.