The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Awards Moderator
On 11/26/2023 at 2:16 PM, Merzbow said:

A great little documentary on one of the best Mega Drive games, I originally had an earlier version in a double pack with Madden which this goes into a little, too.

Everything by Noclip is very well made. They recently bought a job lot of old games show footage, trailers and other random shit and are digitising and uploading to their second "channel" :

https://archive.org/details/@noclipvideo

Edited by Onyx2

• 2 weeks later...

My youngest started playing Kuru Kuru Kururin on Gameboy Advance/Switch online and immediately started having large scale meltdowns because she couldn’t do it. I helped her complete a couple of levels and was hooked immediately. It’s the equivalent of that IRL game where you have to carefully manoeuvre a metal loop around a circuit without touching the track, except you’re a duck flying a weird gyrocopter thingy around narrow mazes. Classically easy to pick up and difficult to master, if you’re like me with no time or patience for learning new games, this is tons of fun. 

I watched that earlier! I feel bad for that one developer having three stages scrapped but it didn't look like they ever got past the concept stage? Although the concepts were seemingly reused later on 3 so I hope she was paid for it..

Edit: Now this looks cool, I'm hoping they have the original animations to work with and it's not some weird AI upscale.

Edited by Merzbow

Apologies for the cross-post, but thought this discussion belonged here. I was more of a SNES kid so my experience of Aladdin was naturally quite different. Obviously I was aware of the Mega Drive version looking more like the film but soon was already used to Capcom-style gameplay and managed to complete that back in the day. I beat it again early this year on PS4 using save states and without going for 100% of those gems you were meant to collect. I just wanted to revisit it and get any ending this time.

Immediately after I had a quick go at Virgin's Sega effort as part of the same compilation disc and found the contrast in styles jarring, but it's still a 2D platformer at the end of the day and I'm sure I could make it to the final boss and cross that one off the list if I come back to it at some point. 

Somehow finished that console's version of The Lion King legitimately when I was younger too but I doubt I'd have the patience for it now. Sure, there were some tricky bits but it wasn't a game any of the magazines I bought then felt the need to publish a walkthrough for so I was surprised to see its online reputation decades later as an apparently hardcore tough title worthy of things like a 'Debunking the Difficulty' vid. 

• Paid Members
On 12/14/2023 at 5:09 PM, RedRooster said:

I love discoveries like this: 

It's mad that decades later, cut levels are still being uncovered. 

That desert zone looks like it was repurposed for the desert/western level in Sonic Mania. 

I had a crack at Kuru Kuru Kururin in emulated form on my phone. It's fun, and can be a little tense at time. There's a similar one a few years ago called Roundabout that came out on PS4 and XBox One with some very tongue in cheek FMV cutscenes, and a plot about being a limousine driver. I never played it myself, but heard good things about it. 

33 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I had a crack at Kuru Kuru Kururin in emulated form on my phone. It's fun, and can be a little tense at time.

Cheers for this - I used to love this game when I was younger, I used to play it on the GBA all the time. I hadn’t actually realised it was on Switch Online, and had it not been for your post I’d not have checked! 

I always feel like the GBA doesn’t get the love it deserves - there were so many fun, quirky games that came out for that console that are kind of forgotten about now - and there’s no other way to play them. Even the GBA versions of the Final Fantasy games have exclusive content that have never made any of the more recent ports, and it’s great stuff too. I might do a wee recommendation list some time, actually.

• Paid Members

I used to love playing Fire Pro Wrestling on my GBA when I used my student loan to buy it in Uni. The port of Super Street Fighter II Turbo was pretty special as well, and the magic Crayfish worked to get Alpha 3 ported to the Gameboy is beyond unbelievable. Final Fight Zero was pretty good, too. 

20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I used to love playing Fire Pro Wrestling on my GBA when I used my student loan to buy it in Uni. The port of Super Street Fighter II Turbo was pretty special as well, and the magic Crayfish worked to get Alpha 3 ported to the Gameboy is beyond unbelievable. Final Fight Zero was pretty good, too. 

I'm sure I owned both those Street Fighter ports but Alpha 3 seems to have gone missing after my latest house move (alongside, more inexplicably, my SummerSlam 2010 steelbook - the game was a loose used copy so I can at least understand how that was misplaced without any packaging). Still enjoy a blast of SSF2 Turbo now and then though. 

I've kept got my old GameCube with a Game Boy Player attached to the bottom so I can play GBA carts on a bigger screen, but as @RedRooster said it's absurd that there's no legal way to enjoy the vast majority of those titles on more modern consoles. 

• Paid Members

Kim Justice released a video yesterday about Data East's arcade output in the 90s. There's some bangers on that. It is over an hour long, though.