The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Been playing some emulated PS2 games on my laptop over Christmas, but its a bit laggy cos my laptop isn't great and I only really use it for internet browsing these days. So going to buy a PS2 console from cex. Am I better buying one of the original fat PS2's or the slimmer versions? or does it make any difference?

Just now, DCW said:

Been playing some emulated PS2 games on my laptop over Christmas, but its a bit laggy cos my laptop isn't great and I only really use it for internet browsing these days. So going to buy a PS2 console from cex. Am I better buying one of the original fat PS2's or the slimmer versions? or does it make any difference?

If it makes a difference a few years ago I bought a big fat original and it refuses to play any discs with a "dark" underside of the disc if that makes sense. It was only £30 and all the games were pretty much a quid and obviously I cba to fix it but just an FYI.

For clarity, there are mirror discs and dark discs and I'm sure they are the technical terms :)

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Ha yeah, only £1.99 but it's some trash made in machine code. There were some classics released on those budget labels though, I think even Dizzy started as one.

Oh absolutely.

I'm pretty sure stuff like Stuntman, BMX Simulator, and Kickstart were in those bargain selections.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, BigJag said:

Oh absolutely.

I'm pretty sure stuff like Stuntman, BMX Simulator, and Kickstart were in those bargain selections.

The Mastertronic special. 

1w9x7.thumb.jpg.512f3c81a6e6da49534d32c905f6676b.jpg

My sister worked at a newsagents in the early 80s and got me this poster. Had it on my wall for ages. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I got my first computer on Christmas Day in 1984 - An Amstrad CPC 464 with a green monitor that set my dad back £200. That works out at around £620 in today’s money, so no small change given we weren’t well off at all.

I’ve no idea to this day why my dad even considered it, as even now he just doesn’t get computers, iPads, the internet or indeed anything more technical than a newspaper. He must’ve had to do a ridiculous amount of persuasion to get my mum to agree to it, too.

I was far more interested in writing the Basic code from the manual than I was playing the games, but once I’d exhausted the Amsoft cassettes that came with it (Harrier Attack being the strong highlight) dad offered to take me to Woolworths to get a new game.

I remember being somewhat overwhelmed with the choice, with 2.99 buying you anything from any of the main genres. So it’s still genuinely baffling to me to this day why I chose this brass sod.

spacer.png

It wasn’t even a £2.99 game, but one of the £1.99 ones. I did complete it though.

The Amstrad still sits on my desk in the office and it still works. I’d imagine the chances of any modern computing device still working flawlessly in 40 years time is almost zero.

Edited by Scratch

• Awards Moderator

57 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I’d imagine the chances of any modern computing device still working flawlessly in 40 years time is almost zero.

bbc city GIF

The demos on some of the old magazines were amazing too.  I remember a mate bringing round a cd with the first bit of GTA 1 on it, and we spent weeks running over innocent pedestrians.

even the old spectrum mag demos had hours of gameplay and random bits of software…some real gems on there.

I’d never have completed dizzy without their maps

The first CD demo I had was the first ever PSX "Demo One" and it was the perfect thing to put in the box with the console, it came with playable versions of:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Destruction Derby    
Loaded
Wipeout

We went out and bought Destruction Derby the day after on Boxing Day because of it, pretty sure the only place open was a Dixons rammed with families buying PlayStation games too.

• Paid Members

Very strong memories of that disc! There are games I look back on really fondly from that era, and then realise I never played in full, I just played the demo to death. They were such a huge part of how I experienced the Playstation. 

I've already mentioned it before, but now I've finished it, I can't recommend this book on the Bitmap Brothers enough:

https://readonlymemory.vg/shop/book/the-bitmap-brothers-universe/

For one, it's a beautiful book. But mostly because it's a real labour of love and really sheds light on the development of some incredible games - some of the things they achieved with a fraction of the processing power available today is mindblowing when you see it all laid out and explained. The story of their downfall is really interesting, too, as it's basically a story of the industry overtaking them in many ways with the pivot to CDs and 3D, but also of the decline of the British and European cottage industries as Japanese and American companies dominated the market, and small developers either got swallowed up by it or had to fight a losing battle. A really compelling read if you're into this stuff, as well as a lot of lovely art pages.