The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Are they like the Gameboy carts that just have a C battery in them that you can replace after prising it open?

Yeah, like the GB you need the specific screwdriver for it as well.

• Paid Members

Got this 26” whopper for £50. My wife said she wishes I looked at her the way I look at it. 
Took us both about 15 minutes to get it up the stairs. 

9AA3CE22-CC6C-4611-AFFF-3F8E1E6093D4.jpeg

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FLips said:

Got this 26” whopper for £50. My wife said she wishes I looked at her the way I look at it. 
Took us both about 15 minutes to get it up the stairs. 

9AA3CE22-CC6C-4611-AFFF-3F8E1E6093D4.jpeg

If ever you feel down, just know you’re living the life all of us wish we were. Bravo, sir. Bravo 👏 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nice little clip on the Game Genie here. 

I don't think I ever remember anyone I know having one to be honest. 

I had one on the PS1 at my Dad’s because he refused to get it chipped for I suppose legally moral reasons and this was a workaround. Don’t think I ever used it for cheats though, but I just didn’t know what it was at the time. I’d go mad with it now as some of the cheats you can exclusively get on them are mad. Someone else might know more but is it to do with the genie altering code for the game or something?

1 minute ago, FLips said:

I had one on the PS1 at my Dad’s because he refused to get it chipped for I suppose legally moral reasons and this was a workaround. Don’t think I ever used it for cheats though, but I just didn’t know what it was at the time. I’d go mad with it now as some of the cheats you can exclusively get on them are mad. Someone else might know more but is it to do with the genie altering code for the game or something?

Yeah it directly alters the code, I had some alternative device called the Xplorer on PS1 and I only ever used it to fuck with the Smackdown games. Like adding new match types that broke the game, somehow a barbed wire ropes one that looked awful and didn't really work..

24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I didn't have one till many years later and one came with a NES I bagged from Cash Generator, I like how they advertise one plugged into a bootleg cart here, probably one of Codemasters unofficial games.

spacer.png

This is the one I had. If I remember it came with a book with a list of all the cheats. Spookily groovy indeed. If blowing the cartridge like a Harmonica didn't fix dodgy games, and if poking the cartridge holder inside the console didn't resolve it, sticking the cartridge inside the Game Genie and hoping for the best added another layer of crude, ineffective troubleshooting for games that suddenly stopped working. 

I didn't have a Game Genie (I was an Amiga kid), but I did buy an Action Replay for the PS1, to help me beat the final (proper) Sephiroth boss fight in Final Fantasy VII, as I just couldn't get past him. I've since legitmately beaten him several times, but when I was younger I didn't consider level grinding as being something I might need to do - and I missed a lot of the side quests that might have helped. I also used it, on a separate play through, to resurrect...well, you know who. Weirdly, there is still character-specific dialogue for the character in question even after their death. I'm not sure why that ended up translated, but it's there. 

You could also use it in Driver to drive around Newcastle. As far as I'm aware, there's no way outside of a cheat device to do that. 

You're not alone with FFVII. There was a fair bit of buzz about the game and for many it was their first real foray into that kind of RPG, some younger gamers didn't really know what they were getting. Whilst it wasn't tremendously complex by today's standards there were those who didn't really focus on the game mechanics and just got swept along by the story. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FLips said:

Must have been an Action Replay. Game Genie never got past the 16 bit era.

25 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

You're not alone with FFVII. There was a fair bit of buzz about the game and for many it was their first real foray into that kind of RPG, some younger gamers didn't really know what they were getting. Whilst it wasn't tremendously complex by today's standards there were those who didn't really focus on the game mechanics and just got swept along by the story. 

I managed to get swept away by the story up until the final, final boss (the one-winged Angel Sephiroth) - with a few stumbling blocks along the way. I struggled with Dyne as Barrett was under-levelled, and Proud Clod was a pain in the arse, but I got past him in the end. First time round, I completely missed Vincent and I may also have missed Yuffie - I can't quite remember. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Must have been an Action Replay. Game Genie never got past the 16 bit era.

Very likely then! It was a teal colour thing plugged into the back ports of the PS1. I believe later models of the PS1 removed the ports entirely so people couldn’t use them anymore.

Similarly to others in here I had a disc version on PS2 that I used to cheat my way through Final Fantasy X.

1 hour ago, FLips said:

Very likely then! It was a teal colour thing plugged into the back ports of the PS1. I believe later models of the PS1 removed the ports entirely so people couldn’t use them anymore.

Similarly to others in here I had a disc version on PS2 that I used to cheat my way through Final Fantasy X.

It was a disc version I used on PS1, I had no idea that there was a plug-in version of this! 

It came with a memory card, although I can't remember how exactly that was used.