The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Sega have announced that Shenmue will be released on current gen consoles. Shenmue has a pretty strong cult following. It won't be remastered though. I guess they're going for the authentic look.

Edited by BigJag

From what I've seen they've just given it a resolution boost and added some better lighting techniques, I'm sure that's down to laziness more than anything as this is Sega we're talking about. If only they had given the game to Bluepoint, they do some lovely remasters/remakes.

I still think Sega are just being cheap, but you never know.

There's maybe another "Mini" in development, SNK has announced a "new games machine" which'll have a compilation of Neo-Geo games on it. I'd be tempted to get this unlike all the others so far as it's a console I coveted and still covet to this day but the price it and the games has always been ridiculous.

• Paid Members

Definitely keen on a mini Neo Geo if it's affordable, that was like the holy grail of consoles in the '90s - occasionally you'd see it mentioned in a magazine, all the reviews seemed to be amazing, the games looked incredible, but you never ever saw one in the shops, and nobody you knew owned one.

Most of the best games are already available elsewhere - I must have had Metal Slug on five or six different consoles by this point - but to have them all in one place, with a system designed around playing those games specifically? Yes please.

• Awards Moderator

Two friends and I had a Neo Geo CD each, it was much cheaper console than the cart version. Couldn't care less about Megadrive and SNES minis - I've ROMmed those titles to death. Neo Geo titles never ported well so I'd love an SNK mini.

• Paid Members

Anyone planning to go to NERG at Gateshead stadium this year (mid July)?

It’s their 5th annual event and I’ve been to the last 4. I bloody love it.

Anyway, for those unaware or unsure, it’s a huge retro games event. Around 100 arcade machines, along will loads of pin ball and loads of import and rare consoles. There’s absolutely tonnes of merch tables like at any good retro event. There’s a Craft beer stall too.

There’s 900 tickets on sale, and they tend to sell out, or get within 50 tickets of doing so each year. Although it’s busy, it’s one of my favourite games events. The vibe is incredibly pleasant and much calmer than expected. Not that hard to jump on machines either.

It’s £15 in for the full day, all free play once in. They start making huge updates start of June. I’ll be there this year in more than just a punter capacity which I’ll announce in the Grapple Arcade events thread later in the week.

2A83C276-CCE7-494F-A5CD-FFF8BFA5B7D9.jpeg

1BFE5B26-D753-4A2F-99EA-C9D5539437F7.jpeg

C20EF040-7679-4B39-BE05-11E61AB31418.jpeg

95B924B0-5760-44E8-BBCD-A4ED5AFF7032.jpeg

• Paid Members

Dusted off the PS2 from the shelf over the weekend and dug out some PS1 classics to play.

The PC version of the original Doom is obviously the most recognised, but the PS1 version for me is the best version. There's only a very subtle backing track with eerie, haunting music and the sound effects from the monsters to the weapons are fantastic. The fear element feels much more ramped up than on other ports. 

• Paid Members

Finally ordered a Pi a couple of weeks ago with all the USB joypads and stuff. Set it up last night, downloaded a ready made image. Only a 16GB one but with loads of different systems and 5000+ ROMs. Really was a piece of piss. Didn't get into any setup of the Pi. The only setup was configuring the joypads which is easy.

Having loads of fun with it. Obviously WrestleFest on the MAME was my first game of choice. Had to force my 13yo to stop playing Street Fighter 2 and go to bed last night. Me, her and our 3yo have been up since 6am playing Sonic 2 for the Megadrive and TMNT: Turtles in Time for the SNES which is a cracking game. I used to love the arcade version (which I can't play on the MAME system because I don't know how to add credits!) but this is really good for the time. Bundles of fun.

I can't wait to get home!!!

Good stuff, the pi images are great and easy to use, and to be honest you get most everything you need on a 16/32gb images, over and above that you just get bulking out of playstation/dreamcast games which are of bigger sizes, plus more bells and whistles for the frontend, videos, etc.

For anyone thinking of doing the same, i can't recommend the 8bitdo pads enough, I've had their NES 30 Pro pad for a while and just bought the SNES 30 Pro this week, it's bluetooth and works with the Pi, plus pc, android, ios and the Nintendo Switch. 

SFC30_Pro_face.jpg

• Paid Members

@Bicurious Dad & @tiger_rick any idea if that pad is legitimately weighted? As in a solid build that doesn’t feel like it’s going to float away. I’ve had a handful and it’s unbelievable how poor some pads can be.

One of which felt weighty, but simultaneously far too flimsy, something didn’t add up, so I popped it open and they’d literally put a metal weight inside to make it feel heavy.

Unreal.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi