The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

My TVs have both only got HDMI and scart, unfortunately. I went to collect this modded Xbox this morning, and when I got home and hooked it up to the TV I was surprised to find out that it actually looks pretty good through the regular Xbox cable (the yellow and white and red one, whichever it is - I keep confusing which one's component and which one's composite). It isn't washed out or blurry or anything, and definitely good enough to make the need for some sort of HD cable much less urgent.

The console itself is pretty incredible. You can transfer downloaded games straight onto the hard drive without the need for burning any discs, and even "make backups" of original Xbox discs. 22000 games pre-installed, controllers pre-configured, all the emulators ready to go... I've no idea where to start with it, really. Absolutely insane that it only cost 55 quid. I'd have happily paid at least double! 

• 2 weeks later...

On a slightly related note, I have one of the modern mega drives that have only composite video out and a single white phono audio out. It's a "hantat" retro Sega genesis (a gift from when I was in USA). The sound is really weird and shit. I've googled it a bit and apparently it's a bit of a known issue and down to dodgy audio emulation. Had anyone had a similar model, and tried a DIY fix to make the audio better? 

When the NES and SNES Minis came out, I saw loads of comments along the lines of, "LOL, no thanks. Ever heard of RetroPi? You can get loads more games than this on an SD card and plug it in for free. Anyone who buys this is a mug."

I'm sure Nintendo saw many more than I did.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

When the NES and SNES Minis came out, I saw loads of comments along the lines of, "LOL, no thanks. Ever heard of RetroPi? You can get loads more games than this on an SD card and plug it in for free. Anyone who buys this is a mug."

I'm sure Nintendo saw many more than I did.

I don't really understand the point you're making here.

8 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't really understand the point you're making here.

That Nintendo's heightened intolerance of ROM sites might be at least in part the consequence of said feedback.

Rom sites are a necessity when 99.9% of the games being held on them will never see an official rerelease, it'd probably be a huge arseache to sort out with all the legal business behind it but it'd be great to see some kind of agreement where sites can host games not available for purchase.

I need a little time off big AAA titles after binging hard on Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'm going to attempt to make my way through a little bit of the Amstrad CPC library, wish me luck and recommend any weird titles to me.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Streets of Rage 2 is currently free on iOS and Android:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/streets-of-rage-2-classic-free-on-ios-and-android-3064885

It has adverts, but can’t moan for free.

I already had it downloaded on my iPad years back, think I paid £2.50 for it.  I got a random patch update last week and now it plays 10x worse then it did prior and includes the ads.

Im just relieved I’ve got it on the Mega Drive collection on PS4

Edited by TildeGuy~!

3 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Streets of Rage 2 is currently free on iOS and Android:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/streets-of-rage-2-classic-free-on-ios-and-android-3064885

It has adverts, but can’t moan for free.

It's a permanent part of the Sega Forever range of freemium mobile games. (In case anyone discovers this post in a few weeks' time and assumes the "deal" is no longer current.)