Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted
43 minutes ago, chokeout said:

How do you play 2 player on that Neo Geo?

You can buy extra controllers, I'm actually more interested in them if they work on PC.

Posted
20 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I haven't used one myself but some Youtubers I follow have and all say it's good apart from there being a little input lag and the joystick is poor.

So it's decent as long as you don't plan on interacting with the games? Sign me up, daddy-o.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I've just got back from Retro Revival in Walsall and it was pretty underwhelming, too many sellers and some took the piss price wise plus the selection of coinops was poor with a fair few in bad nick. It's not half as good as what the Replay guys put on.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've just got back from Retro Revival in Walsall and it was pretty underwhelming, too many sellers and some took the piss price wise plus the selection of coinops was poor with a fair few in bad nick. It's not half as good as what the Replay guys put on.

NERG is exactly the same. Great arcade section surrounded by clueless sellers marking everything up. Never went back.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

NERG is exactly the same. Great arcade section surrounded by clueless sellers marking everything up. Never went back.

I'll be sticking to EGX, it's mainly modern games but even the little retro section on its own beats this.
I did get Night breed on the Amiga for 3 quid tho.

 

Yeah the Vintage Gamer lot were there, they aren't too bad.

Edited by Merzbow
Posted
18 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

how are they for prices? tbh im not really big on retro games, its too much of an expensive hobby, does he overcharge? i dont know of true values of games/consoles 

He seems pretty average really, although he also does some good deals on Facebook.

There was one cheap seller but all he sold was trash games, I think the stall may have even been called Dirt Retro or something. I bought a couple of bootleg 100+ games in one GBA carts for a quid each. I bet they don't even worl.

Posted

I've been to a couple of Replay events and they've been pretty good. On the retro side of things they've got tons of consoles, arcade machines and pinball tables all free to play, and if you're into newer stuff they usually have a selection of some of the bigger upcoming AAA games as well as a zone dedicated to new/recent indie games. They also tend to have guest speakers/Q&A sessions, which is a nice addition that a lot of other conventions don't bother with. 

As with most other cons though, the merch stalls are generally massively overpriced. And unless you're spending hours queuing to see the AAA games, you're likely to see everything in an afternoon. I'd probably recommend going for a day rather than buying a full weekend ticket.

Posted
4 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I've been to a couple of Replay events and they've been pretty good. On the retro side of things they've got tons of consoles, arcade machines and pinball tables all free to play, and if you're into newer stuff they usually have a selection of some of the bigger upcoming AAA games as well as a zone dedicated to new/recent indie games. They also tend to have guest speakers/Q&A sessions, which is a nice addition that a lot of other conventions don't bother with. 

As with most other cons though, the merch stalls are generally massively overpriced. And unless you're spending hours queuing to see the AAA games, you're likely to see everything in an afternoon. I'd probably recommend going for a day rather than buying a full weekend ticket.

That was the best part of Revival, although I couldn't get in to see John Romero as it was packed. Iain Lee and Mr Biffo were great fun to listen to and Paul Gannon joined in who's always a fun listen.

I was probably a little harsher than I should have been, it just wasn't exactly what I wanted from the event.

  • 2 months later...
Posted

So Nintendo has filed copyright lawsuits against LoveROMs and LoveRETRO and since that EmuParadise and The ISO Zone have both decided to strip their sites of roms. I've noticed that a French site I've often used called PlanetEmu has taken down all Nintendo roms too. I'd recommend looking at torrents for "cylum" rom sets and keeping an archive of the games somewhere.

Ninty are obviously within their right to do this but they sure don't make things easy for themselves with the way the release or don't release their classic games on current consoles, they seem to drip feed a minimal amount of them and charge a pretty hefty fee for them too.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Fair play to Nintendo.

People often scream ‘piracy’ in regards to music, film and even on here in regards to wrestling. It’s completely understandable why Nintendo would react in this way. 

They are clearly interested in their own back catalogue and rereleasing (mini SNES, nes and possibly more). I’ve got no issues with their stance on this whatsoever and would be an absolute hypocrite if I did.

I truly hope it means they are planning to make their retro catalogue more accessible as time goes on. 

Posted

I've just picked up a modded original Xbox. It's got tons of games included (22000 of the fuckers), but I'm quite keen to have a go at burning a few Xbox discs. Problem is, my usual download places (Emuparadise and Isozone) have gone tits up with the recent goings on. Does anyone have any leads on sites that are still active? 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I've just picked up a modded original Xbox. It's got tons of games included (22000 of the fuckers), but I'm quite keen to have a go at burning a few Xbox discs. Problem is, my usual download places (Emuparadise and Isozone) have gone tits up with the recent goings on. Does anyone have any leads on sites that are still active? 

You are sadly about two weeks late. Nintendo have finally decided to go mental with the banhammer and every site is running scared. I'd go torrent or give up. 

Posted

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Managed to find a decent torrent pretty easily though. The next thing to do is to find a better cable to connect the Xbox to my TV. I've always known older consoles don't look great on HD TVs, but I've been using an Ouya for years which has an HDMI port so I've never needed to look into anything else. As is always the way, when I was looking into Xbox HDMI stuff last night, I spotted a modded console from a different seller with an added HDMI port for a fiver more than the HDMI-less one I've just bought...

Posted
5 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Managed to find a decent torrent pretty easily though. The next thing to do is to find a better cable to connect the Xbox to my TV. I've always known older consoles don't look great on HD TVs, but I've been using an Ouya for years which has an HDMI port so I've never needed to look into anything else. As is always the way, when I was looking into Xbox HDMI stuff last night, I spotted a modded console from a different seller with an added HDMI port for a fiver more than the HDMI-less one I've just bought...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HD-Component-AV-Cable-Xbox-1-5M/dp/B00GSK4Y58/ref=sr_1_7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1534842534&sr=1-7&keywords=xbox+component

If you have component (not scart) on your TV then this is probably the best bet, these can be hit or miss and I'd say get an official cable but they cost a fuck tonne.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...