The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, tiger_rick said:

Finally ordered a Pi a couple of weeks ago with all the USB joypads and stuff. Set it up last night, downloaded a ready made image. Only a 16GB one but with loads of different systems and 5000+ ROMs. Really was a piece of piss. Didn't get into any setup of the Pi. The only setup was configuring the joypads which is easy.

Having loads of fun with it. Obviously WrestleFest on the MAME was my first game of choice. Had to force my 13yo to stop playing Street Fighter 2 and go to bed last night. Me, her and our 3yo have been up since 6am playing Sonic 2 for the Megadrive and TMNT: Turtles in Time for the SNES which is a cracking game. I used to love the arcade version (which I can't play on the MAME system because I don't know how to add credits!) but this is really good for the time. Bundles of fun.

I can't wait to get home!!!

Have you managed to figure TMNT? On my MAME Xbox it's done by pressing select on the pad.

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

@Bicurious Dad & @tiger_rick any idea if that pad is legitimately weighted? As in a solid build that doesn’t feel like it’s going to float away. I’ve had a handful and it’s unbelievable how poor some pads can be.

One of which felt weighty, but simultaneously far too flimsy, something didn’t add up, so I popped it open and they’d literally put a metal weight inside to make it feel heavy.

Unreal.

It's sturdy and feels solid, good weight to it as well. The NES30 felt lighter but still well built, this is far better.It's got vibration motors, analogue controls, 4 shoulder buttons and accellerometers built into the form factor of an original SNES pad so it's been well put together to fit it all in,

Alien Storm was made for arcades though, where the whole point (from the developers side of things) is to make things difficult to encourage people to keep pumping money into the machine. In the early days, console versions were generally just ported over "as is" without giving any thought to altering the difficulty / gameplay for home users. It was very much a case of "you wanted to be able to play that arcade game at home, so here it is". 

• Paid Members

It didn't hurt, either, that the difficulty tended to make the game feel longer than it was - most games in those days were incredibly short, and felt like they were longer purely because of how often you'd die and be forced to start over. So there wouldn't have been much interest from developers in tweaking the arcade version to make it easier for home consoles in that regard either.

Saying that, I can pretty much blitz the Master System version of Alien Storm, though that's purely muscle memory from having played it to death as a kid. If I play a game from that time period for the first time now, I'm invariably going to be fucking useless at it.

And, the better part of 30 years later, I can still never manage to hit the flying enemies, or kick the silver wolf things on the first attempt, in Altered Beast.

• Paid Members

Thoughts on WrestleMania the arcade game? I quite like it. I discovered it on the PS1 at a time when I was really struggling to keep into wrestling because we didn't have Sky and didn't know anyone who was still into it to tape it. I loved it for that reason alone but I also liked the Street Fighter style. Was a good looking game too compared to anything I'd ever played previously aside from WrestleFest. I've been having a bash on it recently and I still like it. Seem to think it had a bad rap at the time?