The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
On 13/12/2017 at 4:27 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

I tried using an HDMI upscale R, but it looked horrendous. If that one you mentioned is pretty much the same as mine but in HD through HDMI, I might eBay what I've got now

I've just messaged the bloke who is selling them about the upscaling(before I ordered), and he says the videos that were taken on his Facebook page are taken using 32, 42 an 55inch LED TV's directly though a HDMI cable and they look decent enough. But I suppose it depends on the individual game ect...

57 minutes ago, rubbafish said:

I haven't had a chance to do a straight comparison but how does the Pi measure up against a soft modded Xbox with emulators?

It's better in my opinion, I've been running almost anything up to the ps1 perfectly. The only problems have been with some obscure microcomputers.

• Paid Members

Got my Pi Arcade system today, but the other half won't let me have it until Christmas Morning, so I can't comment on how it plays yet unfortunatly.

But I've got another question of the Pi experts on here.

On the site I got it from, https://www.piretrogaming.com/shop/ , It has a number of different options to buy, each with different emulators etc. The one I've got is the Arcade 16 model(https://www.piretrogaming.com/product/arcade/). Was just thinking though, If I got another SD card(say a 128gb), and controller would I be able to install and play a PS1 emulator? 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

If you’ve bought a Pi 3, then RetroPi which is very easy to setup and will play many PS1 games.

To put things into context though, I have an image called Reys128 GB image and it includes pretty much every game on every system up to PS1 (70,000 games I total) and that fills a 128GB card.

So, if you just want PS1, a 128GB card is overkill. Also, if you can sort out RetroPi (which is very easy) you could’ve done it all yourself anyway without buying a pre-built system.

If you need any help with RetroPi, just let me know.

I was going to put it together myself, but knew that with how busy I'll be with work after Christmas the kit will just be sat gathering dust. At least with buying it made I can just plug it in and have a quick game or two when I fancy it.

From looking at the sites forums, it has RetroPi on it, so if I put that "Reys128" image on a SD card, will the games just be available to play(as in plug and play)?

There is a PS1 128gb image online (madlittlepixel on youtube) which you can download and burn to your other 128gb card, then you just swap the cards out depending on which you want to use. You'll need to set up your conroller the first time you load the image on your Pi but only the once.

• Paid Members

I just slung my Raspberry Pi against the wall. Finally got round to using it, worked fine for a couple of days, turned it on this morning only for it to tell me my USB controller wasn't configured. Tried following the typically convoluted instructions of some arsehole on some forum, and now it won't recognise my joypad at all.

So I just went and bought a modded old XBox instead. Why does everything have to be so complicated? I'll have to do fucking Mine Cart Carnage all over again now as well.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So I just went and bought a modded old XBox instead. 

Interesting that, I just bid on one but lost out (forgot about it). 

I ‘think’ I’ve decided to sell up and flog all of my original machines and games. I’ve not played anything in a while and a modded xbox will be more than suffice in fairness.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BigJag said:

Nope, it’s redirecting to eBay Argos now for £80 instead of the £64 it mentions on your link.

Edit - see Merz post below, completely overlooked it. Go on, you have 2 mins.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

This one was a Buy It Now only deal. I had one before but it conked out so it's a replacement.

I used to have a MAME cabinet, I've been looking into getting another one of those when I buy a place in the spring.