The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I was visiting family last week, and whenever I'm in the Blackburn I always try to pop down to Gamer, the local market videogames stall and see my mate Lewis to pick through his wares (hard and soft). He'd set up his PC Engine, so I played at bit of R-Type, and he had his NAOMI machine in so I played some Virtua Fighter and Golden Axe: The Duel on that, which has such unbelievably cheap AI with its input reading. Looks like it'd be a really good fighter for multiplayers, though. Should try and hunt down the Saturn version.

Anyway, I digress. I obtained from him last week Dynamite Cop on Dreamcast, a new VMU so I can finally start saving my progress on Metropolis Street Racer, and for my SNES I picked up a copy of Super International Cricket by Beam Software. It's pretty terrible, but I have some fond memories of it. Can't wait for my mate from Cornwall to come visiting so we can take each other on at it.

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Put in some paragraphs. Well, a paragraph.

I will have to check out Time warp, since Bridgwater is just over an hour away up the M5. There was a place on an industrial estate called the Arcade Barn in Exeter, that I went to about 5 years ago. Unfortunately it closed up a little over a month later. It was the combination of 3 guys collection of arcade cabs. The big project for one of them was a sit down Fire Fox cab which was a laser disc game based on the Clint Eastwood film where has to steal a Soviet fighter plane.

• 1 month later...

Mortal Kombat was first released in American arcades 25 years ago today.

I always loved the mythology (though not the Mythologies game, obviously) and so the series lost a lot of its shine for me when all the characters and their back stories were rebooted a few years ago. I know the plot had become a convoluted mess that might've been impenetrable to newcomers, but screw it, they could easily ignore it if they wanted to, like 90% of older players probably did.

The developers (or more likely their new publishing masters, Warner Bros) seem obsessed with preorder bonuses and mobile microtransactions nowadays too.

But anyway, what are your memories of these games and how difficult it's been to remain vastly superior to Street Fighter in every single way?

• Paid Members

That's a wonderful write up @scratchdj.

We pretty much shared that childhood, except I had a MD and had the champ edition SF 2 and MK2 was my first from the series.

I had played on my friends snes so had a lot of love for SF as it was. I think when I first played MK2, the rush of excitement was too much to ignore and it did knock SF off the top spot... for a short while. However, for me though it comes down to the fact that I can go back and play both, but SF will be played more and wins over all due to playability.

Both have had a long lifespan and a timeline of games ranging from great to shite. Both games second outings were my personal favourites.

• Paid Members

There's so many that I remember fondly. I hated SF2. Still can't abide it today. I was never any good at the fighting games. Could never extract any real enjoyment from them. Ridge Racer was a great favourite of mine. Sega Rally was another that I enjoyed playing when I ventured into Thomas's in Leicester City Centre. There was another arcade in Leicester called Family Leisure. Which was where I and my friends would pump 10ps into WWF SuperStars. Still one of my favourites to this day. I almost forgot Chase HQ. They had a sit down cabinet in Bournemouth that kept me occupied on one Summer Holiday.

Apologies for posting the below link again. However it looks to be a very interesting event. All being well I and a few mates will be attending.

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/evolution-video-games

Edited by BigJag
Making it legible.

• Awards Moderator

@BigJag I'm the exact opposite of you! I get bored with racing games after about 30 seconds, I just don't care about them.

Street Fighter II, and the one on one fighting genre, was everything in my early teens. Went to tournaments, spent fortunes, just wanted to be the best. 

• Paid Members
On 9/5/2017 at 11:49 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

and for my SNES I picked up a copy of Super International Cricket by Beam Software. It's pretty terrible, but I have some fond memories of it. Can't wait for my mate from Cornwall to come visiting so we can take each other on at it.

You'll never find a better cricket game that Graham Gooch's Cricket for the Amiga. I hate cricket but it was a brilliant game.

I really like SF2, but I've never been very good at it. I get frustrated when I can't pull off certain moves and spend the rest of the fight being battered whilst I try to get the move right. It's a small victory if I do. 

I'm trying to think back to which games I pumped the most hours in to. The likes of Desert Strike and Jungle Strike spring to mind, as do the Road Rash games. But the only game I can really remember putting a lot of time in to, including all nighters round a mates house, was Streets of Rage 2. 

To this day I still play it with affection. And finding mods of the game to play as characters from other games (the best being Ryu and Dhalsim) have really brought the game to life again for me. It was only a few weeks ago me and a friend unlocked the extreme difficulty and beat it with only a couple of lives to spare. It's those games where you really feel a sense of pressure and achievement because, once your dead, it's literally game over. 

In modern times, the only other game that's come close to that in terms of enjoyment and achievement is Dead Nation. Which is a truly wonderful game. 

Best arcade game ever is a joyously open-ended question... and Daytona USA isn't a bad shout, it's up there for music (maybe the best for music) and is undoubtedly one of the top racers of all-time alongside OutRun, OutRun2 SP, and Pole Position. It's the most successful driver ever made and totally iconic. (And you can play my old Daytona USA upright at Arcade Club ;)) Daytona USA is without doubt the most loved game I've housed.

SF2 is maybe the most important game released since the crash in the early 80's. Only need to see the games released shortly after to see the affect it had. When people come into my arcade room for the first time, they nearly always play SF2... I always preferred Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct (because unbalanced fighters are awesome)

My answer to the question is Ms. Pac-Man, and arcade collectors in the US have this as their #1. Sadly, I sold my cab earlier this month to make way for a second scud Race. It's the best-selling US-made arcade video game of all-time. So it's props are well-earned!

My room was blogged recently if you're interested. Don't blame me for the formatting or pics that went awry: http://gamesyouloved.com/blog/2017/september/17/gaming-goals/

Edited by Tiki
typo