The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

The only loaders I'm using at the moment are USB Loader for Wii games, Nintendont for Gamecube, Wii64 for N64, WiiSX for PS1 (can't get this to load the ISO's at the moment though), Snes9x GX for SNES & Genesis Plus for all early Sega consoles and handhelds. I already had most of the ROM's for Mega Drive and SNES on my PC, so they were easy enough to migrate over. The most hassle comes with the Wii game rips, which you download as ISO's and then have to convert them into a format the Wii recognises. It's simple, but a little more time consuming.

I didn't really need to buy any accessories, but some were essential for ease of playing (the Wii classic pro controller for example. I managed to get two for £18). I also purchased two steering wheels for Mario Kart, two motion plus adaptors for Wii Resort 2 (and probably useful for other games I imagine), a HDMI converter and I bought a spare motion sensor and power supply. I'm going to be moving the console around a fair bit (living room to bedroom and back again. Plus I'll be taking it to a friends once a week), so just buying those were to save me time having to drag the cables out.

Hoping to spend a bit more time with it this weekend to see what else it can do.

a mate has ordered one of them in, is simple enough to use for n64 games?

Like Steve Justice I'm having issues with Playstation games at the moment.  N64 games are really easy to set-up but I have had issues with certain games (Wetrix picture doesn't fit right on the screen, Yoshi's Story shows a blank screen except for Yoshi) but these might be the ROM's I've downloaded. Plenty of other games work perfectly.  As well as Wii64, there's Not64 which I've found better for linking to different controllers. 

21 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

a mate has ordered one of them in, is simple enough to use for n64 games?

Are you referring to the classic pro controller? If so, the only game I have for N64 at the moment Goldeneye. Controller wise it works fine. The game itself however I'm having some issues with. In single player the screen is fine but the audio is slow and laggy. In two player split screen I've had to change some settings so both screens work well enough to be able to play it. The first attempt had a near perfect bottom screen but almost black top screen. The best I could do was a bit of screen tearing for both screens. It worked well enough for a few games, but I want to try and sort it properly.

• Paid Members
On 06/07/2017 at 10:59 AM, Really Big Shoe said:

The player manager mode on Kevin Keegan's player manager is terrible no playability whatsoever. Its the Kick Off engine but theyve seemed to have not been adapted it to a joy pad. With a joystick it might have been OK but otherwise you have to like launch yourself into the ball, passes go astray and most "shots" go of target. The AI of course look like Barca in comparison and its no doubt the worse football game for me, much more than Kick Off 3. The management bit is actually alright but playing the games is best avoided. 

I used to love Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the SNES. Like you say, the playing bit was total toss, but I spend so many hours on that before I got a PC and switched to Champ Man. In fact, I still find myself humming the theme(that played continuously through the game by default) sometimes...

The management aspect of the game is good, there's a cheat (which I only found out about years later) to get a team full of star players. I think if the game done away with the player mode and went abit deeper by adding a fourth division and maybe the Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga (it was also released in Germany but used Karl-Heinz Rummenigge instead of Kev) etc it could have had a bit more depth, or more customisation. Faster loading times would have been good too.

The theme was catchy and you could mute it by pressing select IIRC. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Really Big Shoe said:

The management aspect of the game is good, there's a cheat (which I only found out about years later) to get a team full of star players. I think if the game done away with the player mode and went abit deeper by adding a fourth division and maybe the Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga (it was also released in Germany but used Karl-Heinz Rummenigge instead of Kev) etc it could have had a bit more depth, or more customisation. Faster loading times would have been good too.

The theme was catchy and you could mute it by pressing select IIRC. 

A cheat? Never knew that! The loading times were strange though. If I remember right, when you started a career, the loading times before a match were shocking(even if you weren't playing it), but the higher up the leagues you went the shorter it was. But then the time you had to wait after the game got longer instead...

It's something like when you choose a team you pick the letter J, usually when starting in the second division. There's a very detailed walkthrough here

http://walkthrough.freeola.com/game/4694/snes/kevin-keegans-player-manager.html

I think cup games loaded a little bit quicker than league games. I don't know if it was possible to progress to manage the England international team. Would have been a good way to complete the game if you won the World Cup.

I don't know how far the game goes but on Ultimate Soccer Manager 2 on PC the game breaks the further you get into it, just churns out garbled player names. 

If any old gamers are in driving distance of Blackpool and looking for something to do this weekend, this looks pretty good. Their Manchester expo last year was excellent, and I'd imagine this is going to be more of the same. Loads of free games to play (consoles, arcade cabinets, and pinball tables), retro game developer panels, Big Boy Barry talking about his time on Games World, shopping area, berks wandering around dressed in silly outfits (I believe they call it "cosplay"), all that sort of stuff.

https://www.playexpoblackpool.com/

On 09/07/2017 at 6:17 PM, Cod Eye said:

I used to love Kevin Keegan's Player Manager on the SNES. Like you say, the playing bit was total toss, but I spend so many hours on that before I got a PC and switched to Champ Man. In fact, I still find myself humming the theme(that played continuously through the game by default) sometimes...

Not a patch on Super Soccer though, was it? The ending where you would end up playing the "super team" who were all decked out in a black kit was amazing. Am I right in saying that there was a shady ref involved as well?

Super Soccer was fantastic.

My old Daytona USA is now on the floor at Arcade Club. Joining a fantastic line up of Sega drivers!

Aaaaaand, I just received my new toy:

F7913Ww.jpg

All seems to be complete and in working order as well!

4 hours ago, Tiki said:

Super Soccer was fantastic.

My old Daytona USA is now on the floor at Arcade Club. Joining a fantastic line up of Sega drivers!

Aaaaaand, I just received my new toy:

F7913Ww.jpg

All seems to be complete and in working order as well!

Fucking hell, where did you get something like that, if you don't mind me asking?