The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

I got it from a pinball collectors forum. Traded my Tales of the Arabian Nights pinball for that Royal Rumble and very large some of money. Royal Rumble is cheap for pinball standards but still more than most arcade machines!

My old pin is one of the very best ever, highly sought after, and in very minty condition... but it doesn't have Bobby Heenan on the playfield so I had to do the swap!!

And, yeah, I'll need to replace that card! it is indeed where the prices go. I can get a repro of that no worries :)

• Paid Members

Wowza, that's amazing. I'm somewhat familiar with the Arabian nights pin, but didn't realise it was 'that' rare so to speak, or was the large sum of money due to condition.. (or both)?

Either way Tiki, cracking piece you have here. Have to agree with chokeout about that WWE logo on the bottom right.

Ah man, I truly love this... without asking about your personal transaction, can you give any indication how much this machine would cost me in today's market? Also, is it a full size or table top machine?

Tales of the Arabian Nights (aka TOTAN) is a Williams machine from the 90s, which typically fetch from £1,500 to £7,000 (which is what a Medieval Madness would set you back), depending on the title and the condition

Williams games from the 90s are all pricey as loads of parts still available, relatively easy to maintain,and great quality games in general!

TOTAN is regular featured in nearly every "Best Ever" list, and these days many people are finding it via Pinball Arcade where it's the free table that comes with the game. So the price is going up on this one!

It's not massively rare in pinball terms. Just over 3,000 were made just over 20 years ago (Addams Family is the most common with around 22,000 tables made). Maybe 20% of those games still exist? Many cabs would have been stripped for parts and beaten to all fuck by now.

I got nearly top dollar for mine as it's super minty. They are currently changing hands state-side for over $5,000!

WWF Royal Rumble is a Date East game. So harder to find parts for and harder to maintain, and they never gets the attention of the Williams games.... so you can pick one of these up for £1,200 to £1,500 depending on quality.

Basically, for a good games from the 90s, you are looking at anything up from £1,500 - which is more than a Defender or a Donkey Kong or an OutRun or an upright Atari Star Wars!

Happy to help anyone who fancies anything arcadey for their man caves or whatever :)

Beware ebay prices - 15% is added on to cover fees and the BIN prices are always aimed at footballers or other similar such mugs!

And beware arcade machines with flat screens and multi-games. They are usually worth about £100 and we see people paying ten times that :/

Oh, yeah, all my games are full size! It's really like the 20th century in my back room :D

Edited by Tiki

Looking for a bit of advice, figured this might be the best place to ask.

I'm looking at purchasing a GameCube, I really want to go back and play a number of those games. Purchasing a console seems relatively easy/affordable to do so - CEX are offering one for around £30 without the controllers or that. A bundle I reckon I can get for about £50. 

However the actual games themseleves are what appear to be the expensive part - And something I'd like to see if I can avoid. How easy is it to play ROMs on the device? I've read some stuff online that suggests you can do this by purchasing an SD Media Launcher? Is this true? How easy is this to setup? Does it run smoothly? 

With buying retro consoles - Am I worth buying from a retailer such as CEX? I presume I'd have some form of warrenty on them, incase they fuck up within early use? Or should I just take the gamble and buy from ebay/depop?

Any advice is appreciated. 

Probably better off with ebay. Pay with PayPal for protection. CEX have sold some dodgy shite as well! 

Could check forums like consolecollect. That would be my first stop :)

Edited by Tiki

36 minutes ago, Tiki said:

Probably better off with ebay. Pay with PayPal for protection. CEX have sold some dodgy shite as well! 

Could check forums like consolecollect. That would be my first stop :)

Nice one, will do. Thanks.

If you just want to play the games, you could get a USB controller and install MAME onto a PC? For me, it's not the same, I need the actual hardware, but it might be a nice cheap option - at least to check that your about to spend what feels like the right amount of money.

Maybe buy a Wii for less than 20 quid, it plays all Gamecube discs and is reasonably easy to hack so you can play any you don't own too. Oh and you have all the Wii games too, including a better Mario Kart and the Galaxy games which are so amazing they piss on the already great Sunshine.

If you want an even cheaper way of doing things, with less hassle than modding a Wii, there's a free emulator called Dolphin that handles Gamecube and Wii games pretty much flawlessly, even on my bottom of the range straight out of the box piece of tat from PC World. It even emulates basic motion controls so you can map shakes of the Wiimote to regular buttons on whatever controller you're using, so you don't have to feel like a pillock waving your hands around if anyone's watching while you're playing.

• Paid Members

Is Final Fantasy VIII worth a play? I got it in the Steam Sale years ago but couldn't get away with playing it on PC. Was debating getting it on PSN but don't know if it's worth it.

It's one of those games where you could talk for hours about the many massive faults including the dodgiest pacing, plotholes galore and a magic/stat system so broken you can become invincible for most of the game from near the start but still bloody adore it, it's no 6, 7 or 9. It also has a card game that not even Gwent can hold a candle too (that may be hyperbole).

It's worth a play.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's one of those games where you could talk for hours about the many massive faults including the dodgiest pacing, plotholes galore and a magic/stat system so broken you can become invincible for most of the game from near the start but still bloody adore it, it's no 6, 7 or 9. It also has a card game that not even Gwent can hold a candle too (that may be hyperbole).

It's worth a play.

I've heard people say it's their favourite and I've heard people say it's the worst one. My top 3 would be 9, 10, 6 with 7 not even coming close. Not a fan of 7 at all, don't like the setting, not a big fan of any of the characters, don't like the Materia system, think it's massively over-rated. I'll give VIII a go.