The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

I've just bought a Wii that's been loaded with emulators and games, so I'm looking for a controller (or two) that's better suited for retro gaming than the Wiimote and nunchuck.

I've been a little surprised that all the official Classic and Classic Pro controllers I've found are wired. Did Nintendo not make any of these that were wireless? I've found third-party ones but I'm wary of the quality.

Anyone have recommendations for Wii controllers?

Ohhhh, really? That's fine then. :thumbsup: All I'd seen were photos of a cable coming out of the top of the controller, and the word "wired" in the product title, which I took to be significant.

I just watched this really well produced documentary on Night Trap, I'm very tempted to buy the new version in a couple of weeks. I never got a chance to play the original at the time and by the time emulation was good enough I had no interest in FMV games but recently I've been digging them.

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Ohhhh, really? That's fine then. :thumbsup: All I'd seen were photos of a cable coming out of the top of the controller, and the word "wired" in the product title, which I took to be significant.

Yep. They connect to the Wiimote. I have two and work really well with all the emulators I've used. 

They also work with the Wii U if you ever considered going down that route.

Sorry, turns out I'm still a bit confused. I assumed that connecting to the Wiimote meant that the Wiimote clipped into it like the steering wheel accessory, but this picture suggests the Wiimote is perhaps dangling loose at the end of a long wire?

wiiclassicpro.png

It sounds pretty irritating, in this untethered age. Can't help feeling now that I should've examined these controllers before choosing the Wii over a Pi or something.

Depends what you mean by irritating. If you find have a Wiimote sitting in between your legs that occasionally vibrates when something happens in game and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside irritating, then maybe this isn't for you.

I'm easily annoyed, and the connecting wire may occasionally irritate me. But it's a small price to pay for a pad that feels strong, is comfortable and works really well.

I suppose it's because I tend to shift around a bit while playing, so the thought of having to drag the Wiimote with me into a comfortable spot and try not to pull out the cable by leaning on it when my mind's absorbed in the game seems a bit of a faff, but if other people manage then I guess I'll get used to it.

You're going to need to fork out extra for a better power supply there and I'd recommend using a good USB stick to hold your roms. Not only does that give you more ways to transfer them it takes stress off the sdcard which just don't survive as long. The only downside is losing a USB slot for something else but 3 should be enough for a Retropie setup, enough so you can still use a mouse and keyboard for computer emulation (DOS, Amiga, C64 etc).