The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• 2 weeks later...

I have a chance to purchase an original Xbox with two controllers for £20. It's not modded, but I understand it's not that difficult to do (can someone confirm?). 

As far as emulators go, what is it capable of achieving? I assume it can run emulators for systems up to and including the same generation, i.e. PS2, Gamecube?

What else is a modded Xbox capable of outside of emulation?

I'm trying to weigh up whether it is better to go down this route, the Wii Homebrew or Raspberry Pi route.

Edited by Steve Justice

For £20 I'd give it a go at trying to mod it yourself, assuming it isn't that hard to do. If that doesn't work out you can always try flogging on eBay or take it down you local CEX/Game and I'm sure you'd easily make your money back and then you can try a Rasberry Pi or whatever.

In other news, the SNES Mini Classic has been confirmed for a September 27th release, and all preorders were gone within 20 minutes the other day, so get signing up to your Amazon alerts if you want to try again in the future. On the plus side, Nintendo are saying that they're going to have much more units available this time round. The Euro launch will initially have the same number of units that the NES Classic had worldwide

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Quality line-up of games for it, too.

Earthbound, Final Fantasy 6, Secret of Mana, A Link To The Past and Super Mario RPG is pretty much just Chrono Trigger short of being a perfect list of SNES RPGs - throw in Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Mario Kart and an unreleased Star Fox 2, and you're laughing, really.

I ended up buying a Wii for £20 instead. Now to purchase a couple of gamepads. I'm lead to believe that the Wii pro controllers don't work with Gamecube games. Is this just the case pre-modded? Because I have read that they do work if you use the Nintendont emulator. I'm struggling to find a concrete answer. 

The only emulators I'm likely to use are for the Mega Drive, SNES, N64 and Gamecube. As well as the Wii itself. I want a controller that will work with all of those, ideally.

• Paid Members

I recently soft modded an original Xbox specifically to set it up to play retro games.

Modding is very easy: you just need one of several games that can be exploited, an Xbox USB reader, USB stick and a Windows PC (as a Mac user, this was the most annoying thing; you need to format your USB stick to be Xbox readable and the only software to do this is Windows only. Had to dig out a laptop that's about 12 years old).

You put a cracked game save and your dashboard of choice (typically an XMBC mod) on your USB stick, load the game, load the game save from the USB and that'll reboot your Xbox and install the mod.

Then, as long as your Xbox is connected to the internet, you can just FTP all the emulators and games onto it.

Here's where things get tricky. The emulators are very picky with what they recognise and the included documentation wasn't very informative. It's only from trawling forum posts that I eventually worked out that one I was using required the ROMs to be zipped as a single file per zip and that file named using only lower case letters.

Given the ROM pack I'd downloaded had multiple regional variations of every game in each zip archive, it was a pain in the arse having to redo them all.

Given I have a Mac Mini connected to my TV anyway, it would have been way quicker to just use that but I fancied taking the Xbox on as a project.

Wii Pro controllers were made for the Wii U weren't they? Wouldn't surprise me if they don't work with a standard Wii but Wii's do have GameCube ports so just use a GameCube pad, yeah?

I'm doing the Wii as a project too. Plus it's more transportable for when I take it to a friends.

There's a pro controller for the Wii and the Wii U. Apparently Nintendont is quite versatile when it comes to controllers, although unofficial ones can experience problems. Official ones are quite pricey though. Even secondhand. 

• Paid Members

IMAG0276.thumb.jpg.a9a2dfd8d7a3d6d13b0e92254a2cf378.jpgJust got back from NERG.

Bought a N64 due to losing my old one a few house moves ago. I also bought a Saturn as I've never had one.

Bought a few games and a Bart Simpson joy stick for a mate of mine.

Had a great time but completely skint.

IMAG0282.jpg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Dug out my Snes on Saturday. Don't know what's happened over the years but I've only got 4 games now. Boxed Street Racer and Sensible Soccer and loose Kick off 3 and Exhaust heat. Spent a couple of hours bashing the keys on Kick Off 3. It's way shitter than I remember. I thought it was amazing "back in the day". Love the way the players materialise from nothing. It's impossible to know where any of your men are. I was getting better at a bit of kick and rush.

Looked into buying some games I used to own. Fucking hell, the prices!

• Paid Members

That's the general problem with retro gaming unless you're happy with roms. Prices are bloody insane. Some of the prices at the event I was at on the weekend were just nuts. There was a stall selling only 'rare cartridges', nowt was less that £100. 

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Con as in "convention", as opposed to con as in "swizz", right? 

There's often decent bargains to be found at these sort of things, but it's always worth having a proper look around before buying anything. Chances are that £15 game will be a tenner on a different stall on the other side of the room.

• Paid Members

Retro Gamer magazine tend to keep a pretty decent list of what you can be expected to pay for rarer games; they used to produce an annual catalogue, not sure if they still do, but tend to have listings in the mag, and adverts for websites prepared to pay big money for rarer cartridges. It's worth swotting up on something like that so you know you're not getting ripped off - and so you don't miss out on a bargain too; I passed up the chance to buy an old Mega Drive Smurfs game in a second-hand shop because they were asking a tenner for it a few years back, turns out it's worth considerably more than that

• Paid Members

To be fair, they weren't far off... there was a lot of premium stuff, but plenty of bargain boxes around.

It's easy enough to check what prices are going for on eBay when you are there, it's the best tool to use and gives you a great indication of what things are currently selling for.

For example someone was selling pocky and Rocky 2 for the snes. It can go for a couple of hundred, but as low as £50. It was being sold for £120.

Secret of mana can again go for around £180ish at high end, and was on sale for £100.

It's when you see shit like columns on sale for £10, but mega games 1 (super hang on, italia 90, columns) go for £8 on the same stall. Cranks.

The other thing is that there are always a shit load of cheap Jap and US carts kicking about. I bought 5 or 6 random as fuck looking Japanese wrestling games for snes and MD for £10 in total. So if you've got means to play them, potential fun to be had.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi