The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Hi!

Yes, I actually have two Pi-to-JAMMA builds myself. Powerful enough to run all games from BITD. Looking like this:

mIz9mTq.jpg

I have one horizontal and another vertical in two separate cabs.

A big bonus with this (and other similar low-powered builds) is that they can be powered directly off the JAMMA edge connector so no extra power units etc required. And they still run most games from 70s, 80s and 90s.

:)

Edited by Tiki

• Paid Members

I just bought myself a pre-loaded Raspberry Pi because if there's one thing I have learned, it's that computer game nerds don't actually understand the necessity to explain things like this on a very simple step by step basis to people who don't have a clue how to do this sort of thing.

I watched a bunch of videos about Pi and MAME and on every single one of them they just assume you have a bunch of knowledge about setting these things up yourself. So I just got someone else to do it.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Tbf, that's what I also did (twice). Got the Pi, JPAC, and full setup in one hit from a guy who puts these together. Then got more time to actually play the games rather than messing about moving ROMS etc.

And, yeah, terminology is confusing when it's all new. Been there, still get confused when people talk about some stuff.

• Paid Members

The Pi runs all flavours of SF2 and SF3, what more do you need to know :D

cpzZ9ir.jpg

Ooooh, Alpha as well.

• Paid Members

Cool video on the early history of video game consoles.

I've got my X box setup working. Once I have everything looking presentable. I'll try and post some pictures/video. Thanks for all the advice.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/retro-game-consoles?utm_campaign=crowdfire&utm_content=crowdfire&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#1375371229-tw#1490090027208

So much inspiration out there.

Edited by BigJag

• 3 weeks later...

Any of these emulation machines are kind of pointless really. It's nice to have all the extra features and everything, but most basic laptops from the last few years will easily handle pretty much anything up to the PS1 sort of era (might need something a tad more powerful for anything beyond that). Just download some emulators and rom files, then plug the laptop into your telly with an HDMI lead. Piece of piss, as they say.

1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Any of these emulation machines are kind of pointless really. It's nice to have all the extra features and everything, but most basic laptops from the last few years will easily handle pretty much anything up to the PS1 sort of era (might need something a tad more powerful for anything beyond that). Just download some emulators and rom files, then plug the laptop into your telly with an HDMI lead. Piece of piss, as they say.

Its what I have done for years. Though if you configure the emulators right you can run some of the machines past PS1 though I doubt they would run all that well.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Every time I come into this thread, I just get lost in the jargon. All I want to do is play SNES games on my big telly, but all this talk of Rasberry Pi's and pictures of motherboards just make me feel a bit stupid.

Starting to think it would be much easier to just buy an old SNES

I've just been given one. Not got around to trying it out yet though. It's in the Donkey Kong box but doesn't have Donkey Kong! I've got a Megadrive and an N64 gathering dust somewhere too. Really should do more with them.