Paid Members BigJag Posted March 5, 2017 Paid Members Posted March 5, 2017 (edited) Cheers Scratch DJ. The intention is for the X box to be part of a multi use system. Satellite/Cable/Kodi/DVD/Chromecast will also be connected to the TV. They can all be connected via a HDMI switch. For the X box. I think an extended composite cable is the best option. I could always try a VGA/component to HDMI converter at a later point. If I plumb in the composite extension. I could also use it for other consoles. N64/Saturn/SNES/GameCube/PS1/PS2 being the main ones. Every console that came after those should be HDMI compatible. Hmmm. Been pricing it up. Installing all that Cabling could be expensive and problematic. I may just get one of these instead. Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272235303295 Finally managed to get to http://www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/ today. What a great place. All sorts of retro consoles and computers available to use. Plus a number of arcade machines on free play. Well worth a visit. Friendly and helpful staff too. They were able to advise on how to connect up my Xbox. Like Scratch DJ they advised using the composite cable setup. Is this Raspberry Pi 3 gaming bundle, good value? https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-3-retro-gaming-bundle?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=28361194705&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuonGBRCaotXoycysvIMBEiQAcxV0nMYvPfJAyryM_MeT08IOZoaCLkkF6sViF3eRjpX8178aAk-t8P8HAQ Edited March 11, 2017 by BigJag Quote
Paid Members bAzTNM#1 Posted March 11, 2017 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2017 I remember having tons of childhood fun playing on that old Sega Master System with "Spyhunter". What a game. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted March 11, 2017 Paid Members Posted March 11, 2017 That's a serious set up! Looks fantastic. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted March 12, 2017 Paid Members Posted March 12, 2017 (edited) Cheers for the advice on the Pi, Scratch DJ. The event at the computer museum looks fantastic. Is it a regular event? Will they let humanoids like me in? Or is it only for people of Bobby Heenan's level? Edited March 12, 2017 by BigJag Quote
Merzbow Posted March 12, 2017 Posted March 12, 2017 Is anyone going to EGX this year? It's more for modern and indy games but they have a sweet little retro area that goes through the ages, last years was the first time I had touched a BBC Micro since around 1990. Tickets are half price for Virgin customers so got my mate to bag two for Friday and Saturday, I may go to the after party but a videogame based rave could be tragic. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted March 12, 2017 Paid Members Posted March 12, 2017 https://www.egx.net/egx/2017 Is this the event Merzbow? Thanks for the info Scratch DJ. Quote
Adam Turner Posted March 12, 2017 Posted March 12, 2017 That looks like great fun ScratchDJ! Is it something that anyone can go to or are you a member of something? Quote
Merzbow Posted March 12, 2017 Posted March 12, 2017 Aye that's it, just be prepared to queue a lot for the bigger games. I'm going dead early on my two days to get on those, hopefully there's some good panels for the rest of the time. Quote
RancidPunx Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 So my Rasberry Pi arrives today. I have my 128gb memory card, I have reys torrent downloaded. What's the best guide to follow to help me get all setup ? Quote
RancidPunx Posted March 19, 2017 Posted March 19, 2017 Thanks mate. Do I need to install retro pie first or just do exactly as indicated on that video ? Quote
Retro Red Posted March 19, 2017 Posted March 19, 2017 Exactly as indicated, the Pi itself is just a board, there's no onboard storage so nothing to install beforehand, everything runs off the micro SD so the image you download has everything pretty much ready to go Also Argos are doing 200gb micro SD cards for £90 right now if you fancy getting the 200gb madlittlepixel image Quote
Tiki Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) Hi, long time lurker, finally got posting permissions! I'm not a big retro gamer in the sense of playing old consoles, although I do do that. I only really play SNES, Spectrum and Amiga for home systems... but I am big on arcade machines, which I collect I love pinball too but only own one pin atm. I want another couple but they're so expensive. Thankfully Arcade Club have around 16 machines so I can scratch my itches a little there! Happy to offer help regarding arcade machines to people. Sad to see so many newcomers getting ripped off and/or buying terrible mame builds or mame projects from hell Currently I have Tales of the Arabian Nights pinball, Scud Race sit down, Daytona USA upright, a neo geo, 2 jamma cabinets with PiMame setups, 2 player Point Blank and a Ms Pac-Man upright (that I imported). I've previously owned other jamma cabs, Outrunners, crude buster europacoin, and a barcrest star wars fruit machine. It's a scary addictive hobby where you lose all your money, all your space, and sometimes family members! Hope to talk arcade games with people as its one of the few things I love more than wrestling! Edited March 20, 2017 by Tiki Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 20, 2017 Paid Members Posted March 20, 2017 You need to get Pinball Arcade downloaded. Been playing it on and off for 18 months, it's glorious. http://pinballarcade.com Quote
Tiki Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 Obviously got that already Nowhere else can you play Medieval Madness, Cirqus Voltaire, Tales of the Arabian Nights, The Addams Family, Twighlight Zone, Funhouse, Cactus Canyon, Monster Bash, Gorgar etc all in one place. It's got nearly all my fav pins on there Quote
Tiki Posted March 20, 2017 Posted March 20, 2017 (edited) For people wishing to own an arcade machine and want a MAME setup, this is the "How To" to get an authentic setup, cheaply, easily, and one you'll want to keep for many years. Yeah, don't go spending £800 on a wooden box with a shitty LCD and a 60-in-1 board installed. For £800 you can get arcade machines that will still be worth something in 20 years time You need to get your hand on three pieces of hardware: 1. JAMMA cabinet. Buy a complete working JAMMA cabinet. This is the key, you want it complete with a CRT, JAMMA loom, and built to take your abuse. You should be able to pick something up on ebay for around £250 or less. Look out for screen burn. Other monitor issues can be easily resolved (a full service of which would set you back around £100) 2. PC Get a PC that you're willing to dedicate to this. You probably have this lying about doing nothing already. We can go into specs, graphics cards etc, chances are the hardware you have is fine. 3. J-PAC Get a J-PAC, this is the magic. This is what connects the PC to the JAMMA loom. No need for ugly dumbass control panels. You can keep the whole cab original - which is great if you want to play real PCBs in the cab too (because emulation is still emulation). Then you need to get the PC setup with your front end of choice, get your ROMS, and install Soft-15khz to get it looking proper. I know someone who makes Pi/JPAC builds for about £200. They are plug-and-play with a JAMMA cab so for £400ish you can get the complete setup. Depends if you know where to shop MAME is really cool but some of the cabs people make are fucking awful as all fuck!!! Edited March 20, 2017 by Tiki Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.