Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

 

 

 

Well I may have been a little premature when I berated and belittled an innocent Chinese eBay seller due to my suspicion that he sold me a counterfeit MicroSD card. The issue was that it was 128GB card and only had a capacity of 2MB. I bought a totally legit one from Amazon the other day and it's exactly the same. My wait for Rey's image goes on. :dickin:

If you didn't use this before, format your card with this. Keep all the default options:

 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

I did indeed try that. No idea what the problem was. I went into command prompt on another PC and erased the partitions there and re-formatted it. Seems to have fixed it. However I think it may have originally been a problem with my card reader on the PC that the image and everything is on as I couldn't reconnect it. Because I'm a home network dunce, I've spent most of the evening transferring over the zip files via a USB stick onto the PC that the SD card works on. What a faff. It's now writing though. Hopefully have a good, working system for the weekend. :D

If it's Rey's image, look for a channel called drew talks on YouTube, he's got a few tutorials for fixing a few things once you have it up and running

Posted

The first and final issue of Nintendo Power in the US:

 

IMG_20170127_074835.jpg

 

The first American ad for the NES and a recent ad for the Switch reveal:

 

IMG_20170127_074725.jpg

  • Paid Members
Posted

The nostalgia's strong there.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Get MAME and play through the first two on there?

Posted

I was thinking more if you wanted to play a new DD but yeah do that too. 2 is fucking solid in the arcade and a right coin muncher unlike 1 which could be done semi easily on a single credit.

 

Give the first 2 speccy versions of Renegade a go too, not sure if any other ports are as good.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Renegade on the Spectrum was brilliant. A bit easy if you could get hold of the baseball bat.

 

Does anyone find that DD 2 suffers from slow down on Mame?

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm sure it had the same slowdown on original hardware.

Really? It's so long since I played an original arcade machine. I can't remember.

  • Paid Members
Posted

 

I'm sure it had the same slowdown on original hardware.

Really? It's so long since I played an original arcade machine. I can't remember.

 

I think it's because MAME emulates the same hardware including limitations. Anything more than about 6 sprites on screen and it starts to chug a little bit. IT's better than the 4 sprites the NES version would struggle with, though. Renegade and Double Dragon 2 in the arcades had that really interesting 3 button layout with attack left, jump and attack right. I should have a look and see whether there are anyfan translations of the Kunio Kun series from which we got games like Nintendo World Cup, Super Dodge Ball, River City Rampage and Renegade.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunio-kun

  • Paid Members
Posted

From that link I went on to Nintendo World Cup. I never knew you could super-shot after a player has taken a certain number of steps.

 

This changes everything.

  • Paid Members
Posted

It's more a beat-em up with football elements than a bona fide football game.

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...