The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

There's an arcade like that in America that has a bunch of one of a kind prototype machines, they also have a Hardcore championship that anyone can challenge for if the holder is around and you'll be stuck on a random machine to battle it out.

Does anyone still have a local shitty arcade? The only one in Cov closed down after the owner was found out to be a paedo..

• Paid Members

From what little research I've done in the past I'd say pre-built MAME cabs often come with a huge markup.

Look for retro videogame shows close by as they often have people who build/sell them there, there's one in Brum soon I might be visiting.  https://www.facebook.com/events/835782656559780/

There was a company at EGX last year but I forget the name, if i remember I'll post back.

I have owned one in the past. It cost me £800 and I thought it was completely fair value for what I got - the cabinet was really sturdy and it had complete SNES, Megadrive, NES and Master System games as well as a selection of N64 and Saturn stuff as well. I had to leave it behind during a house move as the removal men said it was too heavy.

Is there a good, ideally fun, way to learn about the history of gaming and consoles? Don't need to go on Mastermind about it but a few books, documentaries or podcasts would be nice. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbQabA7N5NN_cE7eXnwZE7SCP7ThuKxjX

If you wanna learn about British stuff then Kim Justice is worth a look. Also, find a copy of From Bedrooms to Billions.

Books like Speccy Nation, A Gremlin in the Works and The History of Ocean Software are great too. 

Looks like my type of thing. Will have to organise a trip.

Do b they have a varied selection of games or do they follow a set genre?

There's all kinds of stuff. It starts off with the early stuff when you first go in, and gets more recent the further in you go. The pinball tables and driving games are along the back wall. They swap machines over fairly often so there's usually something new on repeat visits. You can get snacks and drinks there as well. Well worth a visit.