Merzbow Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 Yeah everything is on freeplay, pinball tables too. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted February 25, 2017 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2017 Great. Cheers for that. Just found out about this place http://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/ It's a permanent classic arcade. Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 Arcade Club is amazing, highly recommended if you're into that sort of thing. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted February 25, 2017 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2017 (edited) Looks like my type of thing. Will have to organise a trip. Do b they have a varied selection of games or do they follow a set genre? Edited February 25, 2017 by BigJag Quote
Merzbow Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 There's an arcade like that in America that has a bunch of one of a kind prototype machines, they also have a Hardcore championship that anyone can challenge for if the holder is around and you'll be stuck on a random machine to battle it out. Does anyone still have a local shitty arcade? The only one in Cov closed down after the owner was found out to be a paedo.. Quote
Keith Houchen Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 Fucking hell. Didn't know that! Quote
Merzbow Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/disgraced-coventry-amusement-arcade-boss-7705763 I didn't realise he only got 5 years. The place would be full of kids back when I used to go, I remember it being the first place I ever saw Wrestlemania: The Arcade and it had a neat multigame Neo Geo cab. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 25, 2017 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2017 From what little research I've done in the past I'd say pre-built MAME cabs often come with a huge markup. Look for retro videogame shows close by as they often have people who build/sell them there, there's one in Brum soon I might be visiting. https://www.facebook.com/events/835782656559780/ There was a company at EGX last year but I forget the name, if i remember I'll post back. I have owned one in the past. It cost me £800 and I thought it was completely fair value for what I got - the cabinet was really sturdy and it had complete SNES, Megadrive, NES and Master System games as well as a selection of N64 and Saturn stuff as well. I had to leave it behind during a house move as the removal men said it was too heavy. Quote
Undefeated Steak Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 Is there a good, ideally fun, way to learn about the history of gaming and consoles? Don't need to go on Mastermind about it but a few books, documentaries or podcasts would be nice. Thanks. Quote
Guest Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 I had to leave it behind during a house move as the removal men said it was too heavy. That's outrageous and heartbreaking. They had one job! Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted February 25, 2017 Paid Members Posted February 25, 2017 You've no idea. We lived on the third floor with no lift and they said it was more dangerous taking it down than getting it up. I'm still not over it. Quote
Merzbow Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 Is there a good, ideally fun, way to learn about the history of gaming and consoles? Don't need to go on Mastermind about it but a few books, documentaries or podcasts would be nice. Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbQabA7N5NN_cE7eXnwZE7SCP7ThuKxjX If you wanna learn about British stuff then Kim Justice is worth a look. Also, find a copy of From Bedrooms to Billions. Books like Speccy Nation, A Gremlin in the Works and The History of Ocean Software are great too. Quote
Undefeated Steak Posted February 25, 2017 Posted February 25, 2017 Thanks for that Merzbow, exactly what I was looking for. Quote
CAREBEAR LUVVA Posted February 26, 2017 Posted February 26, 2017 Looks like my type of thing. Will have to organise a trip. Do b they have a varied selection of games or do they follow a set genre? There's all kinds of stuff. It starts off with the early stuff when you first go in, and gets more recent the further in you go. The pinball tables and driving games are along the back wall. They swap machines over fairly often so there's usually something new on repeat visits. You can get snacks and drinks there as well. Well worth a visit. Quote
Undefeated Steak Posted February 26, 2017 Posted February 26, 2017 Kind of you for offering those suggestions, scratchdj. That book looks fantastic, as too does the Computing Centre. Have fun at the gaming night! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.