The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

https://youtu.be/y0f8RV4Q8t4

New version of Double Dragon for the PS4 and PC. What do we think?

As long as it doesnt play like the utter dog that is DDIII: The Rosetta Stone, they it can only be a good thing. The Original Double Dragon, is very pivotal in the development of Beat Em Ups, it being the first two player game with an effective story line and non identikit enemies as well as weapon pick ups and the rest.  It was very much underrated even if you can spam back elbow to complete it. Looks good, hopefully will start getting more into retro stuff again.

• Paid Members

Double Dragon II on the NES is the pinnacle of side scrolling beat em ups. It destroys Streets of Rage even without the flash 16bit graphics.

Only scoring a special move diving header on Nintendo World Cup was more satisfying than clearing a screen of baddies with a jumping spinning roundhouse on DDII.

Edited by Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

Inviting your mates over to play and not informing them of the dangers of a bumpy pitch and just waiting for that moment they run over a stone and you hear that high pitched 'boink' noise followed by a 'WHAT!?'.

I loved that game, the only game worth getting the four score for, infact one of not many games that used the feature of four players!

• Paid Members

Apologies but stupid question time

I've put a Megadrive emulator on my phone - is there such a thing as a sonic & knuckles for the original sonic that I can ROM from somewhere? I downloaded a couple with the title but when they load they come up with the 'no way' screen.  Does such a thing exist?  I've got the Sonic 2 one :-)

There is a ROMhack I have which is Knuckles in Sonic 1. It's very interesting, but with some of the levels all you have to do is climb the highest thing you run into and glide off the other end of it. That can be downloaded here.

Are they any good side scrolling fighting games on the Xbox One?

From what I can see most of the decent side scrolling brawlers on the XBone are the compilations etc from the 360 (Final Fight, Streets Of Rage, Golden Axe) available through Backwards Compatibility. There's an updated version of Castle Crashers which is a fun brawler with an RPG style XP/levelling system for some depth and multiple branching paths. There was also a Power Rangers game released the other day, but I couldn't tell you whether it's any cop.

• Paid Members

Me and the boys downloaded Mother Russia Bleeds last night, played it straight for about 4 hours, great fun. It starts off pretty tame but gets more graphic as it goes along. If you like a side-scroller it's well worth a look.