The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

I might be weird but I prefer all my emulators seperate, I tried things like Retroarch before and while not too hard to set up I just didn't like the feel.  Hyperspin did look a lot more fiddly tho, didn't bother with that one.

Edited by Merzbow

They're really good, I'm currently waiting for a Sega Saturn one since it's been hacked to play games from usb.

Try retrotowers, I'm sure they are cheaper from there. Oh and one thing to keep in mind for the Snes, SD2SNES is much pricier than the Everdrive but it'll play games with custom chips. There are still games that simply won't work on either, the Snes was a right pain compared to other consoles.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Yeah the SNES emulators has issues with Yoshi's Island and a bunch of other top games. Don't take my word for it, as it's probably patched out by now, but the Earthbound ROM used to crash your game on the last boss and delete the save file.

Highly doubt anyone can from the looks of it. Most retailers I've seen are now saying it'll be into December before stock will be available due to the amount of pre orders. I will get one eventually though, missed the pre order boat through procrastination.

• Paid Members

Whilst it's easy for me to say so, it's actually very simple to setup. Just buy a Pi and a decent size micro SD Card.

You need to download Openelec and RetroPi which will give you Kodi and emulation respectively. The tip though, is to first setup the card with BerryBoot. This enables you to run many images from the same card and gives you an interface to install both Openelec and RetroPi.

Seriously, it's very simple to do and if you can follow a few simple instructions on a laptop, you'll be up and running in no time.

I did this. Cost me £45 and around an hour or so of tinkering. Well worth doing it yourself, there's loads of handy retropie tuturials out there.

• Paid Members

Whilst on the subject of Raspberry Pi, my brother in law mentioned earlier this year that he'd love to learn how to build computers.

No for a variety of reasons, that's never going to happen, but it got me thinking one of those might be a nice Christmas gift at the right price.

Only problem is, im as big a tech luddite as your likely to find, so haven't the foggiest myself what he could actually do with it, how simple it is or what it can be used for or where to start in terms of what to actually buy.  A Google search has only served to confuse me further.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!

Mr Matrix, I was looking at that last night after reading about them in here - up until then any explanation about what the Pi was had always gone over my head. By the looks of it, you just need to get a monitor, mouse, keyboard, SD card and adapter, and an ethernet cable. Found a couple of instruction sites and it looks straight pretty straight forward. Seems like a big sexy tech lego set really.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Don't know if this is the best thread to ask in, but I'll try anyway.

Got a Raspberry Pi 3 recently. Got RetroPie. Where's the best, most reliable place to get ROMs from? I hear Pi3 can do PS1 games too. So looking into that and the usual NES/SNES/SEGA lot.

Thanks!