The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I only recently found out that that Mortal Kombat 3 came out on the Master System. Mortal Kombat 3! How? Why?

I think it was released in Brazil only, which is some sort of Master System obsessed Bizarro Land. Games were released there for a while after they were discontined everywhere else around the world. A version of the Master System is still alive today over there, licensed to a Brazilian company.

Has anyone tried building an emulation box using a Raspberry Pi? I've been playing around with it the last couple of days and I'm impressed by how straightforward it is!

Yes, I got Raspberry Pi and after following instructions via instructables me and my father in law managed to build it into an Arcade Machine made from MDF, the most expensive part were the Arcade Buttons (£45) but it runs lovely. The only thing that was difficult was getting Pi to detect the arcade buttons as two separate controllers and programming is not my best subject.

The Pi if you have emulation station is just a case of hooking up the HDMI, Roms and USB controller.

12115468_10156272928110501_3643098061858

Cracking effort pal.

Thank You :-) , the actual Case is pretty much empty apart from the monitor mount inside, the pi is so minut. If anyvody is thinking of getting Pi for this purpose highly recommend it, Runs off a Micro SD and usb powered, runs everything smoothly and is a cracking bit of kit.

Even runs PS1 pretty well

Can't imagine if this existed when I was growing up, technology has moved so fast

It's mindblowing really. My arcade machine runs off Maximus Arcade right now, but I'm shortly going to rip the guts out and put in a Hyperspin drive which I've been building; it runs everything up to and including Gamecube and PS2 perfectly. I'm astounded that even newer arcade machines like Street Fighter IV run perfectly too. The Pi I wanted to give a try, because my aim in the end is to build a mini arcade cab for my daughter, but seeing how easy it is I'm going to buy a second one to hook up to the TV in the bedroom.

Hyperspin is just a frontend, you plug your regular emulators behind it in a launcher so if you can run the emulator and games chances are you'll be fine for hyperspin. The Pc I'm using isn't a beast, it's a 3 year old off brand mid range with integrated graphics, and copes just fine. if you go for a decent £300-400 Pc you'll be golden. The tricky part is getting it up and running, hyperspin is a beautiful but very pernicious diva, takes a lot of work to get everything running correctly. There are lots of download packs and tutorials on YouTube though to make things smoother. Or you can just buy a ready made drive from someone online but where's the fun in that.

In terms of size, my machine is a bartop so I'm going to have to strip the Pc out of the case and play a bit of tetris inside to fit everything in. If you're building a full size cab though you're laughing as the Pc can sit in the lower part of it no probs.

Sorry to hijack the thread with technical issues, but I hope someone can help me out here.

I recently bought a Mega Drive 2, plus an AV Cable for it. I hooked it up to my Samsung Smart TV, and the picture kept flickering.

Any idea how to fix this? It's depressed me that I can't play Streets Of Rage if I'm honest. :(

EDIT: Here's a vid of it flickering if that helps

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBsoXvWCHU7/

Edited by Alex Wright Mark

Nice job on the arcade machine build, I think I followed the same build (mine is a few pages back :)

Just seeked out your build. Very nice. It's a good guide and I used raspberry pi 2 as well all I did was keep the MDF full size 600mm so it's slightly larger.Well impressed. I haven't done the marquee I've got LED tape and a filter film across to give a nice changing colour glow.