The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Awards Moderator

What was "Creatures" all about? I never played it, as I assumed it was some sort of "Lemmings" clone.

Not at all. The core of the game was a platform 'shooter', kind of Contra style. Every couple of levels was the best bit though, with a Mouse Trap inspired torture room where you had to set off events in a certain sequence to save yer mates. I played the demo tape of this endlessly, so good. Zzap! awarded the game the best score it had ever given out.

• Paid Members

When I was 12, I wrote a fan letter to John and Steve Rowlands and they sent me back a Creatures 2 poster signed by Clyde Radcliffe. I wish, I fucking wish I  still had it.

Creatures 2 was just levels of pure torture scenes and as tremendous as it was, I still - just slightly - preferred Creatures.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm in a real pickle here chaps: Does anyone know how to save an in progress game on Theme Park (SNES version)?

I've made real progress and don't want to lose my good work. I even phoned Nintendo but they couldn't help.

• Paid Members

I'm in a real pickle here chaps: Does anyone know how to save an in progress game on Theme Park (SNES version)?

I've made real progress and don't want to lose my good work. I even phoned Nintendo but they couldn't help.

I just looked and can't see anything. Let me quickly try a ROM. 

Found this from a blog, no saves by the sounds of it -

"This tricky question though doesn’t have to be answered in the Snes version however, as it’s impossible to save mid park. It actually ends up being a relief when you reach the reuired financial milestones as it means you can end a play session and get a password. It was something that really irked James Binns when he reviewed’ Theme Park’ for Super Play Magazine. “True it would be tough for a battery back up to store a sophisticated layout” he wrote, “but there must be a better way around this problem than just giving you a code each time you sell up and move onto a new country”."

• Paid Members

Shit.

I can't stay up all night. I'll have to write down what I did and recreate it next time I have 8 hours spare.

Thank you very much for your help. Triple A, you're a good man for checking too.

• Paid Members

Yeah it's right too. I just had a right chew on Google searching forever, then downloading a ROM and having no luck saving. So I reset thinking it might auto-save, but no luck. So I enter a cheat, spam the park with the most expensive rides to get a balance high enough to auction the park off, and then it gave me a password. 
I entered it back in, and it was invalid.

Fuck that game, man.

He could actually be playing it on the SNES?, which would kind of rule that option out..

Aye true. Theme Park codes are bloody notorious for not working as well, pain in the arse as Felatio Lips found out, shame as it's a brilliant game, let down by a shoddy save mechanic/ Heck even Kevin Keegan's had a battery save that saved as was..  Was definitely doable at the time

• Paid Members

Pat, I was playing it on my SNES so sadly that wasn't an option.

I'm absolutely amazed that there is no save function. Is it an issue isolated to that one game? There is a clear and easy save function on Sim City for the SNES which i'm also enjoying at the moment and that's the closest game I can think of in terms of style of game.

Pat, I was playing it on my SNES so sadly that wasn't an option.

I'm absolutely amazed that there is no save function. Is it an issue isolated to that one game? There is a clear and easy save function on Sim City for the SNES which i'm also enjoying at the moment and that's the closest game I can think of in terms of style of game.

There was some bollocks about it being too complicated to work in a save function because of the nature of the parks, but hey it's a Molyneux game, so anything is possible :p. Sim City's does work fine. I would assume it would be battery back up cost related in terms of putting it into the cart when Snes carts were already expensive to produce, would be the most legitimate reason, especially for a 3rd party game.

Here's a Superplay/Kotaku break down of cart costs in 1995.