The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Virtua Tennis. That's a trip down memory lane right there. Just had a quick look on YouTube and the graphics are far better than I remember them being. Must've been around the time sports games seemed to have a big leap forward in graphics. I remember them going from really basic arcadey looking to having loads of depth, shadows, sponsors and pitch wear in the space of a year or two. Might be misremembering it though.

Edit: While I'm in here, another thanks for the emulator links. They're working great.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

Is that a real question? Yes mate, I smashed the hell out of it. Mainly on holiday on a random arcade machine in the very early 90's, quality game and I still have it for my mega drive.

That's the thing, no-one I knew at the time seemed to have played, it was like I'd uncovered a rare gem of a game that only I had. I love for it to somehow show on PSN or something

• Paid Members

That's really interesting actually, it was a school yard 'mint game' when I was a nipper. I wonder if arcades in different areas had a higher rate of particular games. For example, if 5 arcade venues were owned by the same company, I assume they were more likely to stock the same machines in each venue, a deal with the distribution teams and they also know what is making the most coin. However, it may have been a different company, with different distribution and choice of machines in other areas around the country. I've just made that up, so no idea if there's truth in it.

I had a side scrolling tennis game on the Amiga 1200 but can't recall the name of it. My favourite game on that system was called KGB. It was a bit like the Carmen San Diego games but harder and with more depth. And Russians.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

Is that a real question? Yes mate, I smashed the hell out of it. Mainly on holiday on a random arcade machine in the very early 90's, quality game and I still have it for my mega drive.

Was Chuck Rock out at the arcades? I remember a couple of caveman games - Wonderboy and Caveman Ninja - but not that one.

Was Chuck Rock out at the arcades? I remember a couple of caveman games - Wonderboy and Caveman Ninja - but not that one.

No, home computers and consoles only. I'd guess Caveman Ninja would be what Kaz remembers, it's the closest in style

Unless they were a modded style cabinet so that it was an arcade that played console games. I remember there being one of these when I went on holiday to Majorca where you could choose from a bunch of games, one was Aladdin (the game of the Disney film) and we just on the off chance tried the skip level cheat (pause then press ABBAABBA) and were quite suprised that it worked.

God I wish I could play some Chuck Rock now, dam childhood memories

• Paid Members

I had a side scrolling tennis game on the Amiga 1200 but can't recall the name of it. My favourite game on that system was called KGB. It was a bit like the Carmen San Diego games but harder and with more depth. And Russians.

KGB was great, but absolutely nails. If i remember rightly there were puzzles you could only solve at certain moments, and if you fucked it up it was straight to the gulag. 

If you liked any Sonic games on the Mega Drive, the Sonic Advance series is basically an updated version of that. Sonic Advance 2 being a particular highlight. Wario Ware Inc. is bizarre but fun, and Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is, I feel, an underrated classic that suffered from being released towards the end of the GBA's lifespan.

Also check out Mario vs. Donkey Kong, a platform/puzzler combo that used to cause me so much frustration that I actually snapped my GBA SP because of it. I do have serious video game rage though so I'd imagine you'll be fine.

• Paid Members

I had a side scrolling tennis game on the Amiga 1200..

Aye, that one was cracking. Spent HOURS on it. It was side on (like Street Fighter 2) so it took a bit of time to get used to it. Wish I could remember the name and get the Amiga emulator fired up. Think the writing might have been in Japanese.

Edited by bAzTNM#1