The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

It has been reported that someone has been able to hack the Mini NES to allow you to put more games on the console.

http://m.androidcentral.com/install-new-games-your-nes-classic

That's a guide that shows how to hack the mini nes.

Now I may be interested in getting one, any articles on how to extend the cables of the controller?

• Paid Members

Put a Mega Drive emulator on my DS last night, loaded it up with the Sonic, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage series, with a few other gems such as Altered Beast for good measure. Suddenly it doesn't seem so bad to have 2+ hour commutes a few times a week.

You need to use a flash cart for this, right? Which one did you use?

Put a Mega Drive emulator on my DS last night, loaded it up with the Sonic, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage series, with a few other gems such as Altered Beast for good measure. Suddenly it doesn't seem so bad to have 2+ hour commutes a few times a week.

You need to use a flash cart for this, right? Which one did you use?

http://www.r4ds-dsi.co.uk/r4i-sdhc-3ds-rts-card-for-nintendo-3ds-v112035dsi-v145_p694.html

Never had any trouble with it for DS roms and now I can turn it into a retro goldmine. It can handle all sorts of emulators, as well as Mega Drive I could use Atari, Commodore, GameBoy, GBA, NES, SNES and Master System emulators as well. The only drawback I could see from this kind of card as opposed to the far more expensive DSTwo was it can't handle MAME, while the DSTwo can. It's not an issue for me as I prefer playing arcade games with my friends so emulate on a PC, but if you want to use MAME on a DS then the DSTwo looks like your best best. Otherwise the one I linked is highly recommended.

Edited by Juan Manforce

On the topic of the memory card for the image, the Argos one works a treat as that's the one I have. Failing that just make sure it's a class 10 card or better.

I recommend this controller, the nes30 pro I got mine this week and it's truly the bollocks.

NES30-Pro.jpg

Anyone else  have a BBC micro? They were really popular in the 80s, some classic games, many of which were blatant knock-offs of well-known arcade games but it also produced all-time greats like Elite, Citadel, Exile and Castle Quest.

We had one for a VERY short time before we ended up with a ZX Spectrum, all I remember from it was Chuckie Egg on a black & white TV. I played one again last year at EGX and apparently you can hook up a SD card to them with every game on it.

Is that controller wireless?

Bluetooth, once you set it up with the pi you can set it connect at boot so that it's seamless whenever you switch on.

Whilst you've already raved about it, are the D-Pad and buttons decent? How would you say they compare to an original controller from Nintendo etc?

I do like the look of it and am interested in getting one so would be good to know :thumbsup:

I find them great, solid buttons and is the same size as a nes controller, but the rounded design makes it more comfortable than the original nes design.

Nothing ever worked on our Speccy, it was 2nd hand and fucked up so we sold that on not much later.. The Amiga 500 was when I eventually got in to gaming at home, sneaking downstairs in the morning to play Shufflepuck Cafe, Kid Gloves and Datastorm from the Astra game pack. Then it was buying pirate games from Furnace End carboot every Sunday, it was always a risk as a bunch of disks would be DOA.

I have fond memories of the spectrum, although looking back trying to play a game took forever. You have to put in the cassette in, like load it up (which made various fax machine/dial up noises for a while) then you played. We had a bin bag full of games, although I can't remember anything past Chucky Egg and Donkey Kong.

The Spectrum and 8 bit computers in general suffered once games became more complex and you had to mess about loading different levels etc. The early games were the best. Chaos was a game that doesn't get remembered that much on the Spectrum but it was excellent. Ant Attack was another good one. And of course School Daze and its sequel.