Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

Given the number of Mega Drive compilations we’ve had I’m finding it hard to care about this one even though, as a big fan of the console, I’d really like to. 

If it has every Somic game and the ability to play 3&Knuckles I’ll be slightly more interested but realistically it needs some third party games that have never made the compilations. Perhaps a Micro Machines game, perhaps a classic Disney game or two (probably an unrealistic prospect) or maybe something like Lemmings or Cannon Fodder.  

 

EDIT: Just realised I missed Castlevania on the game release list, and I’m not sure whether or not Space Harrier has made a compilation in the past (it may well have done)

It’s a nice start, but it still needs more not-seen-on-a-compilation-before content.

I feel the same as you about this. Unless there is something pretty special on there that I don't have one one of the several Megadrive compilations I already own I'm not really that bothered.

I'm waiting for the PC Engine Mini, which will probably never happen. 

The word on the street is that they may not be able to put Sonic 3 on due to rights issues over the music (and possibly the Michael Jackson thing). As an aside there are some great videos out  there about Michael Jackson's involvement in Sonic 3. It's a shame as Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of the greatest 2d platform games ever. I'd  imagine we get Comix Zone, at least one of the Streets Of Rage games, Altered Beast, Golden Axe (again at least one), Shining Force 2, Gunstar Heroes, Alien Storm, Ecco The Dolphin etc. All the usual suspects.

I'd like to think they'll take a bit more care over this than Sony did with the Playstation Mini. Maybe the EU one has to wait as it's different rights and the  PAL/NTSC argument.

I don't think Space Harrier got a Megadrive release. Space Harrier 2 will probably be onthere. If you have a 360/PS3 ,and my memory serves correctly,the arcade version of Space Harrier is an unlockable on that.

Castle Of Illusion would be a good shout. If I were Sega I'd try and get Aladdin on there as it's great.

Micro Machines would probably depend on how good relations are between Sega, Codemasters and whoever holds the Micro Machines Licence. Turbo Tournament '96 could be nice, but  people would probably not be happy at its lacking a 4/8 player mode.

As far as your Lemmings & Cannon Fodder I've always thought of them as Amiga Games. Great games.

I wonder whether they'd try and get Warner/NetherRealm/Midway onside to put Mortal Kombat 2 on there, or go to  Capcom for Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition. Although if they put them on, and shipped it with three button pads there'd be hell to pay. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Hopefully it's decent quality ROMs of the titles as well, rather than those weird ports from the last round of Megadrive collections.

EDIT EDIT @Merzbow M2 do great ports. I think all the 3DS Megadrive versions are by M2 as well as the Sega Vintage Collection digital compilations on the last generation of consoles. Sega took the rights to do their stuff away from AtGames after the last Megadrive plug & play came out. They couldn't properly recreate the sound so everything was pitched lower and sounded horrible. A friend got one for Christmas, and after I showed him the video comparing the actual sound to what was on his console he lost all interest. I should feel bad for ruining one of his Christmas presents, but I think I saved him from the torture of bad sound killing his nostalgia. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Trying to avoid multiple posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

As far as your Lemmings & Cannon Fodder I've always thought of them as Amiga Games. Great games.

I wonder whether they'd try and get Warner/NetherRealm/Midway onside to put Mortal Kombat 2 on there, or go to  Capcom for Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition. Although if they put them on, and shipped it with three button pads there'd be hell to pay. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Hopefully it's decent quality ROMs of the titles as well, rather than those weird ports from the last round of Megadrive collections.

EDIT EDIT @Merzbow M2 do great ports. I think all the 3DS Megadrive versions are by M2 as well as the Sega Vintage Collection digital compilations on the last generation of consoles. Sega took the rights to do their stuff away from AtGames after the last Megadrive plug & play came out. They couldn't properly recreate the sound so everything was pitched lower and sounded horrible. A friend got one for Christmas, and after I showed him the video comparing the actual sound to what was on his console he lost all interest. I should feel bad for ruining one of his Christmas presents, but I think I saved him from the torture of bad sound killing his nostalgia. 

I’m with you on Lemmings/Cannon Fodder being more Amiga-associated (speaking of which, I’d walk over broken glass to buy an Amiga Mini) but I’ll take whatever I can get for the sake of diversity.

I’d not heard that about Sonic 3, but it would certainly make sense given it’s glaring omission from the last MD collection and the lack of any re-release. If it’s true, I hope it’s something they are able to sort out.

At the price this is being sold at, it REALLY needs to stand out from a games POV, and I certainly hope it does. The Mega Drive was such an important part of my childhood and I’d love to see this impress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with an Amiga Mini would likely be whether to ship it with a mouse, joystick, or both. Plus I bet getting the rights from publishers would be tricky. It'd probably sell like hot cakes though. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Armiga Project with legit Kickstart was probably as close to an Amiga mini as you could want.

Edited by johnnyboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I remember that Armiga, the price was ludicrous for what it was exactly. Probably down to licensing the Kickstart roms and it being such a nice product but still, DIY alternatives like a Pi were a fraction of the price and you could fit them in a nice Amiga looking case too.

Pi's are bloody annoying tho, I've had mine fuck up multiple times.

Edited by Merzbow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Oh I remember that Armiga, the price was ludicrous for what it was exactly.

The model with the floppy drive for ripping your old Amiga disks was pretty costly, but the base model for running image files at ~£80 wasn't terribly priced considering the Kickstart licence and nice themed Amiga-esque 3d printed case.  Personally, I just run Amiga Forever on my PC which gives me enough of a Zeewolf 2 fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use WinUAE for my Amiga emulating needs, which usually degenerates into my playing Lemmings. Occasionally Lotus 3.

I wonder whether they'd stick the game formerly known as World Cup Italia '90 on the Megadrive Mini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I use WinUAE for my Amiga emulating needs, which usually degenerates into my playing Lemmings.

Yeah, Amiga Forever is basically WinUAE with licenced Kickstart ROM files (and Workbench) and a slightly different front-end made by stalwart Amiga developers Cloanto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sony own the Lemmings rights now, so no way it's ending up on a Mega Drive, Amiga, or anything else Mini.

Annoying timing on this one, as on Thursday I broke my "not buying any video games for a few months" rule after a rough day at work and bought the Mega Drive Classics collection on PS4. Because what better use of a current generation console and a big HDTV than playing Altered Beast, the same game I was playing on a black and white TV twenty odd years ago? 

Other than some slightly odd choices, and being way too heavy on RPGs (not something I'd want from a compilation that should be much more "pick up and play", and from a console that, Phantasy Star aside, was never really known for RPGs in the first place), it's everything that's on every other compilation, and every other third party mini Mega Drive.

This new one will need at least one or two flagship titles that aren't on everything else to really sell it to me - though chances are it'll be Sonic 1 and 2, Columns, Comix Zone, Ristar, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, etc., again. 

If they can get Super Hang On, Desert Strike and World Cup Italia '90 on there, it would be a much better replication of my Mega Drive memories.

 

That said, I've realised Sonic Spinball is my white whale. I don't think I've ever even seen level two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Sony own the Lemmings rights now, so no way it's ending up on a Mega Drive, Amiga, or anything else Mini.

Annoying timing on this one, as on Thursday I broke my "not buying any video games for a few months" rule after a rough day at work and bought the Mega Drive Classics collection on PS4. Because what better use of a current generation console and a big HDTV than playing Altered Beast, the same game I was playing on a black and white TV twenty odd years ago? 

Other than some slightly odd choices, and being way too heavy on RPGs (not something I'd want from a compilation that should be much more "pick up and play", and from a console that, Phantasy Star aside, was never really known for RPGs in the first place), it's everything that's on every other compilation, and every other third party mini Mega Drive.

This new one will need at least one or two flagship titles that aren't on everything else to really sell it to me - though chances are it'll be Sonic 1 and 2, Columns, Comix Zone, Ristar, Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, etc., again. 

If they can get Super Hang On, Desert Strike and World Cup Italia '90 on there, it would be a much better replication of my Mega Drive memories.

 

That said, I've realised Sonic Spinball is my white whale. I don't think I've ever even seen level two.

Desert Strike would depend on EA I think. There's an EA Megadrive collection on PSP that's not too bad. 

I'd be surprised if Super Hang-On, and/or Super Thunder Blade weren't on there. 

Columns 3 and Mean Bean Machine tend to be the Megadrive compilation puzzle games of choice. Columns does sneak on occasionally. 

Kid Chameleon as well. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Columns 3 and Mean Bean Machine tend to be the Megadrive compilation puzzle games of choice. Columns does sneak on occasionally. 

Columns is on the PS4 collection, tbf (as is Mean Bean Machine).

really dislike Columns 3, mostly because it's much more focused on Vs mode. Whether it's Columns, Tetris or Puyo Puyo, I've never liked the multiplayer being built on sending junk blocks to the other player - I'd prefer if it was just head-to-head seeing who did better. Mostly because I'm Billy-No-Mates and played all these games solo for years, and it's a totally different strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Columns is on the PS4 collection, tbf (as is Mean Bean Machine).

really dislike Columns 3, mostly because it's much more focused on Vs mode. Whether it's Columns, Tetris or Puyo Puyo, I've never liked the multiplayer being built on sending junk blocks to the other player - I'd prefer if it was just head-to-head seeing who did better. Mostly because I'm Billy-No-Mates and played all these games solo for years, and it's a totally different strategy.

When I was a kid a couple of friends, my then stepdad and I had a proper long session on columns. 4-5 hours one night during the holidays. It's so much fun. The side by side arcade mode is good because you can just drop in and out as and when you want to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

I’m working with Andrew Dickinson from DreamcastYears.co.uk on the release of his new book, which is a retrospective look at the first year of the Sega Dreamcast.

This is a chance to enter our FREE competition, to win a copy of the book and have your name printed inside. Pretty sweet!

I’m really looking forward to it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/grapplearcade/status/1113408674066784268 

 

07D8B125-E8A2-4B58-91E4-EBA37158D440.jpeg

0339BEEB-8F40-4450-85DE-E604B3C63AD2.jpeg

127A5E09-24A0-4100-9D31-84209B3D9AD8.jpeg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played Wrestlefest on an arcade machine, nearly beat it on one credit, I had Hawk down to no health but got pinned myself.


Played as Quake and Ted, Ted's best due to his finisher being a submission which can be pulled off in your own corner of the ring easily.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...