The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

20 hours ago, patiirc said:

Sega has so much to tap into, shame to see it wasted. 

Sega is pretty good at delving into its back catalogue, but as you suggest there are still a good number of games that are in real danger of becoming forgotten relics.

I’d love to play Knuckles Chaotix, for example. Panzer Dragoon Saga is another one. Heck, their first party Saturn games in general merit a revisit. It’s very unlikely but I’d love to see some of the Japanese curiosities get English translations - Segaga for example.

• Paid Members

Helped my other half's uncle defrost and clean his fridge freezer, and he gave me £15, which I used to treat myself to a Switch eShop voucher and peruse the deals. Managed to get the Katamari Damacy remake, Sonic, and OutRun (thanks to a discount from the points I acquired through the  purchases. The Sonic port is by M2, whose ports I'm fond of. They've included the spindash and the Christian Whitehead drop dash, as well as the option to play the North American, Japanese, or MegaPlay Arcade version (which is quite different). I still with they'd port the M2 Streets Of Rage and Golden Axe ports to Switch.

The version of Outrun is also by M2. Features an expanded soundtrack, included a "driver's megamix" which is a nice remixed medley of the original Outrun music. Plays well, finishing the game unlocks extra features like better steering (which also changes the colour of the car).

Katamari is the usua Katamari madness. Crazy J-pop soundtrack, rolling up those crazy things to replace the galaxy for daddy. Heaps of fun.

• Paid Members

I started playing Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap today. Again. It's still a fantastic game but the bosses were all absolutely solid, weren't they? The one you have to kill as Mouse Man is fucking ridiculous especially.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I started playing Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap today. Again. It's still a fantastic game but the bosses were all absolutely solid, weren't they? The one you have to kill as Mouse Man is fucking ridiculous especially.

Everything seemed to be a lot more difficult back then. 

21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Outrun isn't even the best Outrun. Ridiculous.

The thinking appears to be that Outrun in particular is incredibly difficult to get right at home. The hydraulic cabinet for the deluxe and general arcade memories making it a proper nostalgia hit. 

SF2 and Bubble Bobble benefitted from home conversion players who hadn't actually played on the arcade. 

Space Invaders also suffered  in the final votes due to it's age and that not many would have seen it original cab form and see it as a shitty mobile app game. 

We're firmly at a time where ps2 etc are retro and the arcades then have the same memories have for those from the 1970s and 1980s have, hence the inclusion of DDR etc. 

If they make it yearly i expect the older games to fall by the wayside as time goes on. 

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

OutRunners? Always thought that looked amazing but never managed to find a cabinet anywhere.

Relatively few about, I saw a few mid 90s but not many. Like that and Touring Cars since, impossible to find.

The Megadrive versions ok, but handling is awful. 

Outrun 2019 on the Megadrive is also underated. 

2 hours ago, patiirc said:

Relatively few about, I saw a few mid 90s but not many. Like that and Touring Cars since, impossible to find.

The Megadrive versions ok, but handling is awful. 

Outrun 2019 on the Megadrive is also underated. 

Outrun conversions were almost universely bad until the Xbox/PS2 era, I've still got the 360 version installed but there's no online or anything now.