The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Preorders are opening soon for the new Pocket Analogue and it looks lovely, it'll be way out of my price range but I want one. It's full on FPGA so no emulation and plays GB, GBC and GBA games. There's add-ons for Game Gear, Lynx and the Neo-Geo Pockets too.

1-Analogue-Pocket-HERO.jpg

• Paid Members

Some decent classic SNK loot on Twitch Prime at the moment, including the SNK 40th anniversary collection which is currently £35 on XBox, PS4 and Switch. 

The Contra, Castlevania and Konami arcade collections are £3.99 each on Switch at the moment as well. 

• Paid Members

They used to have one of those at one of the arcades on the Promenade /Pleasure Beach in Blackpool. I think it was like £2 a go. 

10 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I made it to LOD on a single credit on Wrestlefest yesterday. It made me feel amazing.

I've kind of found a technique that can get me to that match on one credit a decent percentage of the time, you can often just walk backwards and punch till they fall over a few times and they're then down long enough to pick them up and do moves. It's not exactly the most fun way to play but it gets you more time for your 20p.

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

It’s basically my favourite arcade game, but I still don’t really know how to win grapples. I presume it’s random, although you do seem to have an advantage if you pick someone up off the canvas. My technique was to constantly tag in my partner leaving the guy in the outside to recover. Seemed to work quite well.

2 punches, grapple on the 3rd will win most times. 

Whipping in to the cage and stomping also works. 

Constantly tagging also works well 

For the rumble, those with Bodyslams are best and every 2nd grapple you win before a certain point in opposition energies depletion, means you can throw them out easily enough. 

Wrestlefrst isnt really a button masher, though it's immensely more fun playing it that way

40 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Wrestlefest never ceases to surprise me at how much depth there actually is. So many features that were pretty groundbreaking at the time.

I’ll never forget the first time a hit a DDT in an arcade, it seemed like such a cool thing at the time.

I assume I’m right in saying the newer version they bought of for mobile a few years back shares nothing with the original other than its name?

I've not actually played the mobile version so cannot comment 

Other tips

When opposition is out of breath in tag matches don't grapple, punch them 3 times til they fall and then stomp as you wont win grapples

Tag when your partner is powered up and you wont lose a grapple until power up has disappeared

When you have two partners with low energy and are not in the cage. Body slam opponent out and use table/ stairs/ boxes and try and go for a count out as you cannot be pinned on the outside.

Million Dollar Man and Perfect dont have body slams, so if going for rumble eliminations then avoid as it's more difficult to get all opponents out

Demolition are good rumble choices, their lack of fancy special moves (longer animations) means that they are ideal for breaking up pins or using body slams etc

There used to be a cracking guide on the net along time ago, but I cannot find it currently. However the basics are as with many beat'em ups is that you are looking for timings and animations hence the two punches then grapple.  Moves change when opponents have depleted energy so you can adjust strategy accordingly and try not to go for pins when the player is not depleted enough. Depeding on how dips and difficulty are set will depend how much damage you take per move. LOD are always over powered and have a bigger energy bar in that sense however punch and run seems to work, ditto out the ring for count out if you are trying to one credit and have low energy

• Paid Members

I didn't even realised it got a DS release. I hear it was pretty dreadful on 360/PS3. Hopefully it's not as bad as the DS Smackdown Vs Raw games with all their "draw this pattern on screen to escape the hold" mechanics that were implemented so poorly your guy ended up tapping out to Randy Orton's first chinlock of the match.