The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

6 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Does anyone here own or has anyone owned a 32X? 

I’ve flirted with buying one for years, mainly because I want to play Knuckles Chaotix.

I’m well aware that the game library for it is tiny, but if I were to buy one, what games would you recommend (outside of, y’know, the one I just mentioned)? Or would you advise me to avoid it completely?

I had one back in the day. I still enjoy playing the games from it now for nostalgia sake, but if you don't have that connection to it, I wouldn't bother getting one now.

Certainly try before you buy through emulation. Games I had back then were Virtua Racing Deluxe, Virtua Fighter, Star Wars Arcade, Doom and FIFA. They were all great for the time, and would recommend trying any of those. Can't say I ever really got on with Chaotix. 

• Paid Members

I had one. It was decent. I enjoyed playing Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing Deluxe and Star Wars arcade. I've played Knuckles Chaotix on an emulator. It's an interesting platformer with a fascinating gimmick. 

Does anyone have one of those MegaSD contraptions? It's a flashcart but alsk allows you to play Mega CD games without owning the add-on, just the Megadrive.

It works with 32X games but you still need to have one plugged in. It's pricey but the gimmick of not needing a CD sure helps as they can go for quite a bit now.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a good plug and play retro machine? I've seen so many sites around but not sure which companies are decent. Plus some look fairly expensive and not looking to pay over the odds unnecessarily.

Looking to purchase one for a friend for a birthday present but don't really want anything too complicated that needs building etc.

Thanks.

• Paid Members

I picked up the SNK all in one tabletop machine the other month. It's got a fairly good range of games on it. It also has an HDMI output. Which allows you to connect it to a TV if you want. It may still be on offer and should be available from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEOGEO-Mini-Console-International-Version/dp/B07H472N6H

Or try and find a pre built retro pie MAME unit. That'll have pretty much all the games anyone could want. From arcade games up to the PS1 era if not further. Ebay should have a plethora of sellers offering these.

Edited by BigJag

3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'd probably go with the Megadrive or SNES mini if they're available, or do you mean a Raspberry Pi based system?

I've heard good things about the official ones apart from the PlayStation one. They do seem a little limited for choice though while a Pi system does seem like a better value purchase.

I’m half tempted to make my own Retro Pi gameboy using one of the Retroflag GPi cases. They house a Raspberry Pi ZERO in the cartridge and have a cracking screen plus the ability to play SNES/Megadrive etc games too is helping swing it. 

The only problem is that the case alone is £60 but it looks so good!

s-l400.jpg

http://www.retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html

I watched that Console Wars documentary and it's not bad, hadn't read the book so didn't realise it would be 99% US-centric but there was a decent amount of new things learnt among the oft repeated stories I've heard from countless Youtube channels. The little animated sequences made it stand out, they were really nicely done with some superb art.

It's funny how different the Nintendo lot come across compared to the old Sega crew, the former being a lot more stuck up compared to the laid back and jokey Sonic sellers.

I've got From Bedrooms To Billions: The Playstation Years next, the original speccy era documentary by them was excellent.

Edited by Merzbow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm trying to think of what games they could stick on it:

Chu Chu Rocket. Sonic Adventure. Virtua Fighter 3tb, Sega Rally 2. Shenmue. Sega GT.

Do you see whether Capcom will let you use Power Stone or that really good version of Street Fighter Alpha 3?

• Paid Members

I have to admit I'm more excited about the Sega world mini with Golden Axe: Revenge Of Death=Adder on, because that's a brilliant arcade beat em up.