The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I'm trying to think of what games they could stick on it:

Chu Chu Rocket. Sonic Adventure. Virtua Fighter 3tb, Sega Rally 2. Shenmue. Sega GT.

Do you see whether Capcom will let you use Power Stone or that really good version of Street Fighter Alpha 3?

Obviously there will be licensing issues with this one but Rez maybe? Ecco the Dolphin? Seaman or Segaga as curiosities? Virtua Cop 2? Skies of Arcadia, perhaps?

The more I think about it, the less excited I feel. There are very few DC games that I can think of that have aged particularly well.

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It was Windows based, wasn't it? What do you do about the VMU? 

That's only an optional OS on the console, most developers didn't even use it IIRC. The hardware is still some weird console shit with an Hitatchi CPU?

You sadly can't just run a Dreamcast game within Windows, you still need to emulate everything.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
  • Paid Members
13 hours ago, scratchdj said:

This could be a belter of a mini. I'd actually buy it too;

Space Channel 5

Crazy Taxi

Chu Chu Rocket

Power Stone

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Virtua Fighter 3

Fighting Vipers 2

Pen Pen Trilcelon

Jet Set Radio

Shenmue

Marvel vs Capcom

That'll do me. I hope they don't skip over a Saturn Mini though.

• Paid Members

Good luck getting Disney to let you put Marvel Vs Capcom on anything, especially with all those X-Men characters in it. 

What would they do about the Crazy Taxi soundtrack? 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Good luck getting Disney to let you put Marvel Vs Capcom on anything, especially with all those X-Men characters in it. 

What would they do about the Crazy Taxi soundtrack? 

Don’t Disney own the X-Men rights now?

As for the Crazy Taxi soundtrack I imagine it would all be removed unless the original licensing deal allowed for some serious foresight. I imagine the recently released Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1&2 remaster has the original soundtrack removed, so can see the same happening here.

• Paid Members

The Tony Hawk remake has the soundtrack fully intact from what I've heard. 

I guess they do own the X-Men rights now, but I'd have thought they'd capitalise on it by trying to get Capcom to stick some mutants into Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite to cash in and try to generate a bit more interest. People have been clamouring for the old Marvel games coming back. There are those ArcadeOneUp cabs, I guess. 

Dreamcast will always have a special place in my heart for bringing my favourite arcade games at the time into my home.

I don't know how long the 'mini' will take, and emulators aren't that great, so I just bought a Dreamcast earlier in the year. Seemed like the easiest option. No regrets.

27 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Blimey, surprised by that. I suppose 20 years on and that genre not being in the in thing, those songs are still affordable to license

It’s not fully intact but near as damned. They’ve nearly doubled the original soundtrack with a good selection of newer songs as well so the 1 or 2 missing tracks isn’t noticeable.

there’s been re-releases of Crazy Taxi without the licensed music over the years, if they really wanted to include the game it wouldn’t be the hardest thing in the world to mod the original to swap them out with generic replacements.

• Paid Members

I usually switch the music off if I'm playing Crazy Taxi without the actual soundtrack and pop one of the many Crazy Taxi soundtrack playlists on Spotify. It does the trick in a pinch. 

6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

This could be a belter of a mini. I'd actually buy it too;

Space Channel 5

Crazy Taxi

Chu Chu Rocket

Power Stone

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Virtua Fighter 3

Fighting Vipers 2

Pen Pen Trilcelon

Jet Set Radio

Shenmue

Marvel vs Capcom

That'll do me. I hope they don't skip over a Saturn Mini though.

Confidential Mission

F355 Challenge

Dynamite Cop 2

House of the Dead/Typing of the Dead

Phantasy Star Online. 

Daytona USA 2000

Dreamcast actually has a decent library tbh