The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

£120 for a fucking Pi and what looks like one of the cheapest aliexpress controllers?

I find they generally go for like 90+ as combos from companies that do that stuff, and seem to sell pretty well. There are a lot of them around.

It's usually aimed at people who (a) don't really know much about it at all and/or (b) can't be arsed to do any work whatsoever to put it together.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

£120 for a fucking Pi and what looks like one of the cheapest aliexpress controllers?

What would you recommend for someone who wants everything pre-loaded and has a similar amount of games and emulators?

Honestly? I couldn't recommend anything but a pre-set up Pi is as good as anything really. Just remember that if you're not familiar with the tech it's easy to screw some setting or something up at some point, I've accidently had to completely redo a Pi before and I like to think I know my way around them.

Just don't pay silly money like £120, £90 as David said seems better but even then.. and make sure you get yourself a good controller like an 8bitDo (which'll also work on a Switch and PC).

• Paid Members

I just picked up a Retroid Pocket 2 on ebay for £80, and I'm shocked at how well the PS1 & Dreamcast emulators work on it. It feels nice enough, the screen is crisp as anything, but the battery life leaves a little to be desired. It also requires a fair bit of fiddling to get the most of of it, but nothing that's too complicated, and it's easy enough to find youtube guides. If you want it to be more 'pick up & play' there are options for that, but tbh half of the fun's been with fiddling and tweaking it. Haven't had much luck with PSP emulation on it, but I'm having too much fun working my way through the original PS1 catalogue to care too much. It also supports ScummVM & DOSbox, so I'm looking forward to getting some classic PC games working on it. 

117238175_137383384711519_3982768953319117721_o.jpg

Seems like the new Xbox is an emulation powerhouse, I'd imagine the Series X is even better with the more difficult to run PS2 games. No hacking needed, you just buy then open up dev mode and you can download retroarch to the console. You're still going to have to tinker with roms and settings tho, so a little research will have to be done if you're completely new to it all.

8 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Just been browsing Mega Drive games, forgot just how much i love the cover art on a lot of them, does anyone else have any retro cover arts for the MD that they enjoy? 

EDIT - anyone ever done a soft mod to a xbox 360? is it easy to do? 

Not in the slightest, and it's not cheap either.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

@CoreyVandal Does it hook up to the TV at all? I've been looking for a decent handheld that also has working HDMI output. They seem to be quite hit and miss.

Yep, and I've been told it's easy enough to connect bluetooth controllers as well to make it a full home console. It also accepts microSD's up to 2TB so enough room for... the entirety of gaming history up to 128bit. I think I'm currently pushing 100,000 games across 40 systems and the cards not even a quarter full. 

Speaking of boxart, one of the rom loaders automatically scrapes for cover art and displays them in an ipod style side scroll, which is just lovely.

This said I'm not sure how reliable it will be with longterm heavy use, it's still a cheap android at heart so I can't see it lasting forever, but at the moment it's nice to have a fun new gadget to get lost in.

• Paid Members

I've seen a lot of vids comparing the RP2 against the RG350, and it seems like there's not a huge amount in it (RP has better screen & more power, RG has nicer case & joysticks), but I'm assuming this new model will just edge it out, especially once the metal version gets released.

6 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’ve got the 350M and it’s superb. However, it’s let down by running an OS that’s harder to connect to. It also doesn’t have Wi-Fi so you have to plug it in to something to transfer ROMs each time. It sounds like a small thing but it’s been a bit of a ball ache to get fully setup.

The newest one has ditched that OS and gone with EmulationStation.