Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Jim Hellwig must have been busy that afternoon. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

So what's considered the limit of 'retro' these days? My ps4 packed up and haven't been able to find a ps5 yet, so I dug out the ps3 and I've been surprised how cheap it is to pick up all the peripherals I couldn't afford first time round, and the amount of games I kept meaning to play but then 12 years seemed to happen.

Just picked this up (not the one pictured) for £20, and planning to assemble a full Rock Band set up, and got my eye on a couple of nice steering wheels for that generation that seem to go pretty cheap these days. Any other now-affordable-peripherals people can recommend? 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.79e12d6853df93c1c47a0b00b575e6a6.jpg

Edited by CoreyVandal
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 12/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, RedRooster said:

They’re available fat prices ranging from £125 to £200 on eBay. I’m tempted, but I’m a bit worried even thinking about plugging it into a UK socket would fry the circuitry and I’m not entirely sure what I’d need as far as a voltage converter goes, or what price I’d be looking at paying for one.

I got a white PSP from Japan for Christmas when it was an exclusive in 2005/6. Just used a shaver adapter as was the same voltage, no issues at all.

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 minutes ago, CoreyVandal said:

My ps4 packed up 

Hi. What happened to it? As far as I'm aware they're pretty robust and haven't had many issues.

  • Paid Members
Posted

The hard drive failed, so super easy to fix, but since I've got the money set aside for a ps5 I'd rather just wait till I've got a spare laptop hard drive knocking about than spend money on something that might be gathering dust in a week (or so I've been telling myself since launch day, the day it broke)

Posted
16 hours ago, CoreyVandal said:

So what's considered the limit of 'retro' these days? My ps4 packed up and haven't been able to find a ps5 yet, so I dug out the ps3 and I've been surprised how cheap it is to pick up all the peripherals I couldn't afford first time round, and the amount of games I kept meaning to play but then 12 years seemed to happen.

Just picked this up (not the one pictured) for £20, and planning to assemble a full Rock Band set up, and got my eye on a couple of nice steering wheels for that generation that seem to go pretty cheap these days. Any other now-affordable-peripherals people can recommend? 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.79e12d6853df93c1c47a0b00b575e6a6.jpg

I suspect PS3 would qualify. 14/15 years old this year.

I've been spending a lot of time playing F1 2011 recently, cost me a jaw dropping 2 quid delivered and for what it is it's a bit of fun. I've not got a massive Hard drive in it and am looking to pick up a bigger HD PS3 at some point rather than go PS4/PS5.

Great find on the decks!!

  • Paid Members
Posted

Yeah, usually 2 generations back is "retro" so PS3 and 360 are about to join the halls of retro.

Posted

2 generations previous is where I start calling something retro, it pisses off the purists/nerds while making sense in my own head so two wins there.

I finally hacked my PS3 a little while back so I can now rip my discs to the harddrive or an external drive without having to swap discs again.

Posted
1 hour ago, RancidPunx said:

Are there any reliable PSX emulators for Mac OSX ?

I don't know how good the Mac port is but a more recent PSX emulator called Duckstation has been working really well for me on both Windows and Android. It'd be worth a try.

Posted
On 12/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I got an Evercade for Christmas, not played it for a prolonged period but enjoying it up to now.

 

I got one 2nd hand in the summer. I currently have 7 carts. Just got the lynx ones today and lynx 2 is a great collection, only tried a couple on lynx 1. I enjoy the physical carts (I know I can get those games for free if I looked but I don't care). 

Carts I currently have 

Namco 1

Interplay 1

Data East 

Mega Cats

Oliver Twins 

Lynx 1 & 2.

Really looking forward to Piko 2 and Worms. 

Posted
19 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I got one 2nd hand in the summer. I currently have 7 carts. Just got the lynx ones today and lynx 2 is a great collection, only tried a couple on lynx 1. I enjoy the physical carts (I know I can get those games for free if I looked but I don't care). 

Carts I currently have 

Namco 1

Interplay 1

Data East 

Mega Cats

Oliver Twins 

Lynx 1 & 2.

Really looking forward to Piko 2 and Worms. 

I have ordered the Atari Lynx collection 1 as I really want to play Dracula The Undead. Agree the Worms collection looks amazing as does the new Codemasters collection, which has some really great titles on there.

Posted

If anyone's still on the fence about buying an RG351P there's a new metal version out now, there's not much change apart from the new shell and built in wi-fi again but I hear it just feels nicer to play.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

If anyone's still on the fence about buying an RG351P there's a new metal version out now, there's not much change apart from the new shell and built in wi-fi again but I hear it just feels nicer to play.

I'm finding the plastic one really nice to play, fwiw.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...