The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

So what's considered the limit of 'retro' these days? My ps4 packed up and haven't been able to find a ps5 yet, so I dug out the ps3 and I've been surprised how cheap it is to pick up all the peripherals I couldn't afford first time round, and the amount of games I kept meaning to play but then 12 years seemed to happen.

Just picked this up (not the one pictured) for £20, and planning to assemble a full Rock Band set up, and got my eye on a couple of nice steering wheels for that generation that seem to go pretty cheap these days. Any other now-affordable-peripherals people can recommend? 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.79e12d6853df93c1c47a0b00b575e6a6.jpg

Edited by CoreyVandal

• Paid Members
On 12/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, RedRooster said:

They’re available fat prices ranging from £125 to £200 on eBay. I’m tempted, but I’m a bit worried even thinking about plugging it into a UK socket would fry the circuitry and I’m not entirely sure what I’d need as far as a voltage converter goes, or what price I’d be looking at paying for one.

I got a white PSP from Japan for Christmas when it was an exclusive in 2005/6. Just used a shaver adapter as was the same voltage, no issues at all.

• Paid Members

The hard drive failed, so super easy to fix, but since I've got the money set aside for a ps5 I'd rather just wait till I've got a spare laptop hard drive knocking about than spend money on something that might be gathering dust in a week (or so I've been telling myself since launch day, the day it broke)

16 hours ago, CoreyVandal said:

So what's considered the limit of 'retro' these days? My ps4 packed up and haven't been able to find a ps5 yet, so I dug out the ps3 and I've been surprised how cheap it is to pick up all the peripherals I couldn't afford first time round, and the amount of games I kept meaning to play but then 12 years seemed to happen.

Just picked this up (not the one pictured) for £20, and planning to assemble a full Rock Band set up, and got my eye on a couple of nice steering wheels for that generation that seem to go pretty cheap these days. Any other now-affordable-peripherals people can recommend? 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.79e12d6853df93c1c47a0b00b575e6a6.jpg

I suspect PS3 would qualify. 14/15 years old this year.

I've been spending a lot of time playing F1 2011 recently, cost me a jaw dropping 2 quid delivered and for what it is it's a bit of fun. I've not got a massive Hard drive in it and am looking to pick up a bigger HD PS3 at some point rather than go PS4/PS5.

Great find on the decks!!

2 generations previous is where I start calling something retro, it pisses off the purists/nerds while making sense in my own head so two wins there.

I finally hacked my PS3 a little while back so I can now rip my discs to the harddrive or an external drive without having to swap discs again.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:03 PM, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I got an Evercade for Christmas, not played it for a prolonged period but enjoying it up to now.

I got one 2nd hand in the summer. I currently have 7 carts. Just got the lynx ones today and lynx 2 is a great collection, only tried a couple on lynx 1. I enjoy the physical carts (I know I can get those games for free if I looked but I don't care). 

Carts I currently have 

Namco 1

Interplay 1

Data East 

Mega Cats

Oliver Twins 

Lynx 1 & 2.

Really looking forward to Piko 2 and Worms. 

19 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I got one 2nd hand in the summer. I currently have 7 carts. Just got the lynx ones today and lynx 2 is a great collection, only tried a couple on lynx 1. I enjoy the physical carts (I know I can get those games for free if I looked but I don't care). 

Carts I currently have 

Namco 1

Interplay 1

Data East 

Mega Cats

Oliver Twins 

Lynx 1 & 2.

Really looking forward to Piko 2 and Worms. 

I have ordered the Atari Lynx collection 1 as I really want to play Dracula The Undead. Agree the Worms collection looks amazing as does the new Codemasters collection, which has some really great titles on there.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

If anyone's still on the fence about buying an RG351P there's a new metal version out now, there's not much change apart from the new shell and built in wi-fi again but I hear it just feels nicer to play.

I'm finding the plastic one really nice to play, fwiw.