The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

On 12/29/2020 at 4:49 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

The Astro City Mini from Sega came out last week in Japan. No word yet on international releases. GameSack did a review and said it was one of the best minis he played. I'd imagine it'll cost a fair bit to get one imported though. 

Should be slightly easier to get one of these now: https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/23/sega-astro-city-mini-console-will-be-released-in-the-west-for-94-14293068/

• Paid Members

That's a bit pricey. Might have to keep an eye out for it in the sales or something. I had an opportunity to pick the Neo Geo one up in the sale over Christmas, but it would probably have just taken up space. 

I'm not sure this is the right thread but it's gaming, kinda and retro.

Does anyone remember a set-top box of some kind around the late 90's or very early 00's that would allow you to play along with TV gameshows like Family Fortunes? I'm pretty was seperate from a Sky box and had it's own controller.

I remember us not having it for long, we may have even been just part of a trial.

Edit: Answering my own question, did some digging through waybackmachine and other old sites and seems like it was called Two Way TV and certainly had trials around Birmingham at least in the 90's.

Edited by Merzbow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Thats all very well and good, but if they are remaking that, I'd like a Point Blank remake, along with some way to represent the £4m I spent on the arcade machines at Camber Sands. 

Love an arcade shooter.

• Paid Members

I simultaneously love and am terrible at arcade shooters - Point Blank was, similarly, probably the one I sunk the most money into, and never did any good at it. I think I probably had it on PS1 too.

I've been playing Dungeon Keeper 2 lately, with just the final level of campaign mode to go. The original is one of my all-time favourite games, that I've sunk untold hours into since it came out, while I had never given much time to the sequel before - when it came out, my friends who had introduced me to the first one got it, but my PC at home wouldn't have been able to play it. So I think we played it a couple of times at their place, and I never really got on with it - the switch to a more full 3D look didn't sit well with me, nor did the change from Horned Reaper being a creature you could summon to a sort of deus ex machina at the end of every level. I felt they'd changed too much, and that it had lost some of the charm, and I never really revisited it again. Back then, even a slight change in art direction was enough to make me think a sequel was a disappointment, though.

Playing it now, I still think I probably prefer the original, but I realise I'd never given it a fair shake, and that it's not nearly as different from the first game as I'd assumed. Some of the AI is wonky - creatures constantly getting angry that they don't have a lair, are hungry, or haven't been paid, even though all of those things are available for them - and some of the tweaks to gameplay don't work for me, or haven't aged so well, but the rest is great. There are little changes to how creatures work that make it feel a bit more of a challenge - vampires not being able to cross water, for example - and the level design is superb, and definitely an area where it improves on its predecessor.

Basically, when it comes to PC games - and strategy/construction games in particular - I think my interest lies somewhere between 1996 and 2001, and anything subsequent to that barely interests me, but almost everything that falls into that period I'll love, it's a golden age for the genre. 

Any of you lads used Parsec before? It allows you to play multiplayer online on games that don't have online play via streaming. I've just given it a go and it's a total game changer if you can actually find a decent room. Had a go of Fire Pro Wrestling World with someone before I hosted a room that was running a Dreamcast emulator. I reckon it could be blast if we set up a private room for this place. 

• Paid Members

I've seen people having games of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 using it as the net code is better than the version that was released on XBox 360/PS3. It's impressive if your online works better than GGPO. 

On 4/16/2021 at 12:54 AM, pitseleh said:

Any of you lads used Parsec before? It allows you to play multiplayer online on games that don't have online play via streaming. I've just given it a go and it's a total game changer if you can actually find a decent room. Had a go of Fire Pro Wrestling World with someone before I hosted a room that was running a Dreamcast emulator. I reckon it could be blast if we set up a private room for this place. 

I remember years ago we used some kind of Online app to have a Sensible Soccer tournament on the Mega Drive was tons of fun.