The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

4 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

You'd think such a level of dismissiveness would be reserved for something completely redundant like the Amico and / or Playdate, rather than a useful new bit of kit that opens up a platform that's been difficult to emulate for years and years and years.

From what I can tell it's far less about the product and more about those behind it. No-one seems to have a good word about the main guy, twat and arsehole are common descriptions.

Some interesting things about possible legalities in the thread too. Anything Commodore related is a clusterfuck.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Not really, they're more into Sensible Soccer.

Don't let Dino Dini hear you saying that. 

• Paid Members

Has anyone got any experience adding the sd card mods to the Dreamcast / gamecube? 

The Dreamcast one looks foolproof and the gamecube one only seems to need one point soldering so I'm thinking of giving both a go and just downloading a full library for both of them. 

On 8/13/2021 at 8:35 PM, scratchdj said:

I only ever went to Namco Funscape the once - a curiosity visit after a meeting a couple of years ago. It was empty and had hardly anything worth putting money into.

When me and my best mate got our first cars when we were 17, we went to Clacton twice a week for a good couple of years. There was so much good stuff then, with Sega Naomi everywhere that then bled into the Dreamcast at home.

I had to take my mum to Clacton last week to visit someone and was so excited to walk down the arcade strip we’d spent many evenings during our youth, but just I thought, it had pretty much all been reduced to ticket machines and stacker cabinets.

Whenever I have seen a modern arcade with decent-looking games, they all look a bit turd after closer inspection. I know home hardware is so good now, but arcade games look about 15 years out of date on the graphical front. There’s just nothing to wow you and draw you in.

That said, I do love a bit of Down the Clown.

More money in ticket machines. The arcades at piers and Holiday parks are aimed at providing a different experience to that at home. A big part is getting people who are not massively into gaming to chuck money at the machines who normally wouldn't play stuff. 

I was at Clacton pier this week and there was no shortage of people putting money into the machines. 

My missus loves down the clown, she spunks loads on it. 

• Paid Members

Anybody on here have any experience with Anbernic handhelds? I'm looking into getting the RG351.

Mostly I want to know if they're easy to set up and if they have games preloaded onto the machine. Ideally I want to do as little faffing as possible as I'm not too clued up on this emulator stuff.

13 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Anybody on here have any experience with Anbernic handhelds? I'm looking into getting the RG351.

Mostly I want to know if they're easy to set up and if they have games preloaded onto the machine. Ideally I want to do as little faffing as possible as I'm not too clued up on this emulator stuff.

By default they do come with games pre-loaded but it's an odd mish-mash and might even depend on where you buy it from, but to get the best out of the machine you're going to want to change the firmware which would be a faff.

UKFF's fav heel got fucked, he's hilarious though. Skip to 5:50 if you just want to see the case play out.

Billy went from funny bad guy to legit piece of shit when he tried ruining peoples lives, trying to take them to court over the smallest things said about him and costing them 1000's of dollars.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I was at Boscombe pier last week. We used to visit the area when we were kids. Just off the pier there used to be a cool arcade that I and my friends spent loads of time in. I remember them having those push a penny machines aswell as a sit down Chase HQ machine. In addition to the many other classic games of that era.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the arcade was no longer there. Does anyone know what happened to it? Was it Bulldozed? There have obviously been a lot of changes since the last time I was in the area. There also used to be a Sega World down the Beach promenade in Bournemouth.  There is still an arcade in that spot. I had a quick walk through it. Very little in it that caught my attention. 

Places like Arcade Club are very good. I can highly recommend the Leeds venue. I need to check out the Manchester one. Are there any other similar places around the country? 

Edited by BigJag