The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

3 hours ago, BigJag said:

I was at Boscombe pier last week. We used to visit the area when we were kids. Just off the pier there used to be a cool arcade that I and my friends spent loads of time in. I remember them having those push a penny machines aswell as a sit down Chase HQ machine. In addition to the many other classic games of that era.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the arcade was no longer there. Does anyone know what happened to it? Was it Bulldozed? There have obviously been a lot of changes since the last time I was in the area. There also used to be a Sega World down the Beach promenade in Bournemouth.  There is still an arcade in that spot. I had a quick walk through it. Very little in it that caught my attention. 

Places like Arcade Club are very good. I can highly recommend the Leeds venue. I need to check out the Manchester one. Are there any other similar places around the country? 

Arcains l-Liverpool 

Bar HQ-Manchester 

Retrodome-Barnsley

Retro Computer Museum-Bletchley 

Retro Arcade-Warrington 

Pixel Bunker-Milton Keynes 

• Paid Members

We have a Retro Computer museum in Leicester. It's more of a computer club than an actual museum. They have a number of machines set up for play. Both home machines and a few arcade cabinets. They even had a Virtuality virtual reality machine. It was being repaired at the time. I really need to go back and check the place out. the management team were really pleasant, helpful, and passionate about what they were doing.

believe  @scratchdj has been to Retro Computer Museum-Bletchley  a few times.

Arcains l-Liverpool based on their promotional material looks really good. There's also a VR place in Liverpool that has a TRON bike style experience.

Birmingham, Custard Factory had/has a Bar/Arcade. It was a bit dingy and unimpressive when I went. It had potential though.

• Paid Members
On 8/25/2021 at 6:16 PM, scratchdj said:

I have one and it’s a lovely piece of hardware. I got mine from Droix and the service was decent. There is certainly some faffing, though.

Same. I haven't changed up the hardware really, which means the PS and Dreamcast games chug a bit, but they're playable enough. I added a bunch of games, which was easy enough and have been enjoying Hogs of War in particular. I visited my 6-year-old nephew this week and he had a blast playing old Mario and Sonic games.

• Paid Members
  • Paid Members
On 8/13/2021 at 3:59 PM, DavidB6937 said:

Shame to see this go. It wasn't Sega World but still enjoyed visiting from time to time.

More info: https://t.co/4qNi9HohRe?amp=1

When I was 17 I was in a long distance relationship with a lass from Bethnal Green. We went there once and I absolutely hammered her at Tekken 5. On the evening we went to a mutual friend's birthday party and she brought back one of her drug dealer mates and did coke while I slept on the airbed. It was at that point I realised we wanted different things in life.

I went there over a decade later with my wife but all the good machines were gone and we may as well have went to Seaton Carew. We made up for the fact by going to the Sealife Center next door. 

A shame that a pretty decent arcade ends up closing, but I suppose without the benefit of being at a seaside with proper fish and chips and 2p machines it had nothing to fall back on.

It's a tough life for arcades these days no matter where they are. The retro places seem to do pretty well. Piers and seaside amusements keep alive but yeah it's an awful lot of 2ps, cranes and tickets. Always amazes me all these years later that I still see some of the stuff I played when I was younger like Daytona and Sega Rally etc. And I love the classic gun games too.

I don't know what arcade development is like these days. Are there many companies actively making stuff still? Or are the majority focused on home consoles now? Is that why we end up with so many tickets and stuff like that. I honestly don't know. Personally I love a good variety. I enjoy video games and trying to win stuff on machines and the occasional fruit machine etc. They're all part of the experience for me. Although claw machines seem worse than ever.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's a tough life for arcades these days no matter where they are. The retro places seem to do pretty well. Piers and seaside amusements keep alive but yeah it's an awful lot of 2ps, cranes and tickets. Always amazes me all these years later that I still see some of the stuff I played when I was younger like Daytona and Sega Rally etc. And I love the classic gun games too.

I don't know what arcade development is like these days. Are there many companies actively making stuff still? Or are the majority focused on home consoles now? Is that why we end up with so many tickets and stuff like that. I honestly don't know. Personally I love a good variety. I enjoy video games and trying to win stuff on machines and the occasional fruit machine etc. They're all part of the experience for me. Although claw machines seem worse than ever.

There's some sort of European Arcade manufacturer show happening in Barcelona at the moment.  Sega are there.

I was delighted to see Sega Rally still going strong at K’s amusements in Torquay when we were there a few weeks ago, though tucked away near the back so you had to wade through a load of ticket games first. Didn’t have time to play though, was busy trying not to lose my youngest as she weaved around in there. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Jet Blaster looks awesome. There better be some hidden code to ride a dolphin or something. I still play as the sheep any time I'm on the superbikes.

I like playing as the horse when I play Daytona on my Saturn. 

• Paid Members

I've somehow ended up watching videos of James Pond II: Codename Robocod on YouTube, and not once have the people making the video done the Cake, Hammer, Earth, Apple, Tap or Lips, Ice Cream, Violin, Earth, Snowman cheats during their playthrough. At some point the whole game was redesigned and given completely new levels and new soundtrack as well. Around the time of the CD32 version by the look of it. 

• Paid Members

I don't think so. It got ported to C64, Master System, Megadrive, SNES, CD32, PlayStation, GameBoy Advance and it's turned up on Switch.

23 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've somehow ended up watching videos of James Pond II: Codename Robocod on YouTube, and not once have the people making the video done the Cake, Hammer, Earth, Apple, Tap or Lips, Ice Cream, Violin, Earth, Snowman cheats during their playthrough. At some point the whole game was redesigned and given completely new levels and new soundtrack as well. Around the time of the CD32 version by the look of it. 

I had no idea! I loved the Amiga version, although I could only ever complete it by doing the cheat that you mention.