The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Commodore 64 port of Sonic the Hedgehog dropped this morning, and apparently wasn't damaged because this chap's managed to upload a full playthrough of it to the Youtubes. It looks impressive. It's a port of thr Master System version, those SID versions of the music sound really impressive.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

That's very impressive although not completely surprising, Mayhem In Monsterland was released at the very end of the systems life and proved that a Sonic style game was possible by those who could get the most out of the then over a decade old computer. I'd say it was better than even Amiga platformers of the time by a gameplay standpoint.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The Commodore 64 port of Sonic the Hedgehog dropped this morning, and apparently wasn't damaged because this chap's managed to upload a full playthrough of it to the Youtubes. It looks impressive. It's a port of thr Master System version, those SID versions of the music sound really impressive.

What’s the story here? Was it an official port that Sega were going to publish? I must say it did look really good considering.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What’s the story here? Was it an official port that Sega were going to publish? I must say it did look really good considering.

I think it's just a fan port. It does surprise me what people can achieve on the older machines nowadays, especially given the extra tricks and things they figure out over the years. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think it's just a fan port. It does surprise me what people can achieve on the older machines nowadays, especially given the extra tricks and things they figure out over the years. 

I was curious. Because there were always rumours in gaming mags of the time that a port would come over for Mario or Sonic (and of course there was a Mario game on the CDI, just not the one anyone asked for. All we got was Robocod and Zool.

• Paid Members

I hope you're not tailing smack about Robocod there? The amiga version was great. I wish I'd not bought the piss poor Switch version, though. 

Zool was impressive. I think a remake came out recently on Steam. There was also Superfrog with the Lucozade sponsorship (presumably to counter Zool's Chupa Chups sponsorship), and Fire & Ice. 

I'm sure it goes without saying, but originally Team 17 wanted Newcastle Brown Ale to sponsor Superfrog, but realised it may have a been a bad influence on the young 'uns if you were getting powered up by the booze. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Is anyone here familiar with Piepacker?

It's an online portal for playing retro games, with added live chat and multiplayer functionality. Looks like it has potential to be something really special. There's a ton of other stuff I don't understand about premium accounts being able to load in their own games too. 

• Paid Members
On 12/22/2021 at 1:34 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

I hope you're not tailing smack about Robocod there? The amiga version was great. I wish I'd not bought the piss poor Switch version, though. 

Zool was impressive. I think a remake came out recently on Steam. There was also Superfrog with the Lucozade sponsorship (presumably to counter Zool's Chupa Chups sponsorship), and Fire & Ice. 

I'm sure it goes without saying, but originally Team 17 wanted Newcastle Brown Ale to sponsor Superfrog, but realised it may have a been a bad influence on the young 'uns if you were getting powered up by the booze. 

No Robocod and Zool, while great were no Sonic or Mario. James Pond was shit though. Completely forgot about Superfrog. But not sure I ever played Fire and Ice.

Actually you talking about NBA there reminded me of a Motörhead game I had on the Amiga where you collected Jack Daniels in order to puke acid at enemies.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:48 PM, BomberPat said:

Is anyone here familiar with Piepacker?

It's an online portal for playing retro games, with added live chat and multiplayer functionality. Looks like it has potential to be something really special. There's a ton of other stuff I don't understand about premium accounts being able to load in their own games too. 

While I've not used it I am aware. Got a good selection of games from Codemasters, Team 17, Interplay, Piko and others. Beta version has been up for about a year now. I should probably give it a whirl just to see how it it is as its free. 

Got my Evercade VS, not tried it yet but played some carts on my handheld. Gaelco is awesome, definitely one of the top carts. Atari arcade is surprisingly addictive, especially given some of the games are from the 70s. I'd say the same about Intellivision cart, although not to the same level. Carts like those you have to prepare yourself slightly, it's somewhat educational about what games we're like. 

• Paid Members

The evercade looks really interesting, especially those arcade compilations they have. There's a Data East One with some cracking coin ops, and it looks like they use the arcade versions, not the NES ports that sometimes get fobbed into some collections. I think there's an SNK one on the way as well? 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The evercade looks really interesting, especially those arcade compilations they have. There's a Data East One with some cracking coin ops, and it looks like they use the arcade versions, not the NES ports that sometimes get fobbed into some collections. I think there's an SNK one on the way as well? 

There is 2 data East carts, 1 console and 1 arcade. To be honest both are good carts, I'd actually say the console one is one of the best. If you want to know which version is on the cart you can find on evercade.info, for licensing purposes they only put 8,16 or 32 bit in the manual. 

Not heard anything on SNK, and honestly I'd doubt it as they seem happy doing their own thing. Next carts are Gremlin and Renovation both are console. Planned 15 carts for 2022 but 4 old ones that will not be produced after March. 

6 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

I want a small plug and play MAME set up, so I can play some of my retro favourites like Karnov, Exzisus, Karate Master, Ghosts and Goblins, Double Dragon, 1942.

What the best/easiest/cheapest options?

If you just want something real cheap and cheerful filled with roms then a Data Frog Y3 would likely do, £22.25 with ten thousand games shoved on it from aliexpress.