The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I'm continuing my love for old RTS games I played in the late '90s by working my way through the campaign mode for Warcraft 2. Unlike Starcraft, Dungeon Keeper, and Age of Empires 2, it's not a game I've gone back to before in the intervening years, so it's almost all new to me, in terms of how little I actually remember.

It's fun, but fucking hell it can be relentless. There's the usual stuff you find from replaying old strategy games - quality of life improvements that you take for granted not being there yet, so there's an arbitrary limit on the number of units I can select at once, pathfinding AI is non-existent, and units stand around doing nothing while their mates are getting killed far too often - but there's also a level of finiteness to resources that I just wasn't expecting. More than one level I ended up fucked because I'd mined literally all the gold available, spent it on upgrades, units and buildings, but still needed to create more units in order to win, and there just was no way of getting any back. So you're trapped having to decide whether to restart the level and try to manage things better, or just cheat to give yourself extra resources.

• Paid Members

I used to get off to a decent start at RTS games, but struggle as I got further into the campaign. My favourite thing to do was the Skirmish mode in the Red Alert games. I'd end up making 100 mammoth tanks then just storming the enemy base. That'd be enough fun for me. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Big fan of that lad. He gives honest critique and praise where it's due, and the videos are straight to the point. I'm after a nicely priced handheld that can emulate Dreamcast, N64 and Saturn with no issues, and his reviews have been great in making a choice. I'm currently holding out for a handheld that can balance both performance and playability, which will hopefully come around soon. No point in spending money to play Virtua Fighter 2 on the shitter if the d-pad is shite, and I'll know what that machine will be based on his review.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 4 weeks later...