The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I've got Pure Pool on my Switch, and I usually just play it while I'm watching something on YouTube or iPlayer. I've clocked up. So many hours. 

23 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've got Pure Pool on my Switch, and I usually just play it while I'm watching something on YouTube or iPlayer. I've clocked up. So many hours. 

It's the Picross S games for me. I started with the Sega Master System/Mega Drive version, and moved on to the main games. I'm at the point where I don't want to finish the series, as there's nothing massively similar I can find to replace it in my gaming-life!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

SVC Card Fighters 2 may be getting its first English zlanguage release, thanks to Takayuki Nakayama, the Director of Street Fighter 5. I wonder whether they'll try to push to try and get some re-releases and remasters of some of the other CVS & SVC games. There'd definitely be an audience for a CVS2 re-release. It'll probably depend on how well the 35th anniversary fighting game collection sells. 

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2022/feb/22/snk-vs-capcom-interview/

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Hopefully they don't make a mess of the controls like they seemingly have done with the others. 

@scratchdjDaniel Ibbertsen  recently did a review of the Egret Mini on his YouTube channel.

He also did a really interesting Complete History of Galaxian/Galaga a few days ago as well. 

• Paid Members

Looks like it's got both versions of Tournament Fighters (SNES & MD), the NES games, both coin ops, probably Hyperstone Heist as well. Heck of a collection. Maybe they're testing the waters for a full on Konami beat em up collection as well with Vendetta and their other non licenced brawlers on there. It'd be nice. Shredder's Revenge is out this year as well I think. Hopefully they're able to stick the original soundtrack in the coin op port as well, unlike the version they stuck in those GBA/XBox/PS2 ports.

Here's a full list of the titles:-

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (SNES)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (Game Boy)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From the Sewers (Game Boy)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)

Edited by jazzygeofferz

17 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Hopefully they don't make a mess of the controls like they seemingly have done with the others. 

@scratchdjDaniel Ibbertsen  recently did a review of the Egret Mini on his YouTube channel.

He also did a really interesting Complete History of Galaxian/Galaga a few days ago as well. 

That looks good, especially the trackball add on but I would never play enough to justify it. 

9 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Loved all these when I was younger. Spent far too much money on the arcade games.

Looks great, they were good games when licenced games generally sucked arse. 

I think LJN gave licensed games an unfair bad name, it wasn't long before when the microcomputers had classic after classic with games like Robocop being the best seller for years over here.

I mean even the Master System was pushing out so many good'uns like the Disney and Asterix titles.

• Paid Members

Further to the Ninja Turtles announcement it's been said that the 2 coin op ports, Hyperstone Heist and Tournament Fighters will have online. I presume they mean the port of the SNES version. 

@Merzbowsome movie ports were pretty awesome. The Data East Robocop arcade game, and the Ocean ports for home computers were good.There were also some really good Batman games on micro and console, but there were also plenty of games where the developer would just shoehorn characters from the movie/show into a generic looking platform game. I would guess a lot of that is due to time constraints and movie studios wanting to have a game out around the time the movie is due to release. TV/comic tie-ins tended to fare a little better because there wasn't necessarily as much of a rush to get them into the shops. 

I'll stop before I get into Konami/Capcom/Sega etc licenced arcade brawlers again. 

Yeah, that game wouldn't have anywhere near as much negativity around it if it wasn't for AVGN hamming it up. It's striking how much he single handedly shaped the retro scene, I can't say I'm a fan any more but I still keep up on what's going on because his whole brand is now such a shitshow.

Ever since that truly awful movie flopped hard there's been a stark change, you can tell he has no love for videogames and he handed almost all responsibilities over to some hacks that include friends of convicted nonces. He lost a bunch of his old friends over it all too, Bootsy being screwed over like that was shitty.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Did I link to the fan-made Rescue-palooza a few pages back? Used assets from the NES arcade port and Manhatten Project to make a whole new game. Free download on your PC. Loads of characters to unlock as well from the games, cartoon, movies and comics. The people that made it have done several other games as well, some fangames, others which look like original properties. 

https://www.merso-x.com/

I watched a video about the whole cinemas sacre backlash the other night as some background noise while I played something on my phone. It's 2 hours, but covers everything pretty well. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz