The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

That's the thing, really. Most people buying one are already going to be hardcore Steam users. It doesn't go far enough for the console crowd, who don't want to mess about with performance settings for each game or worry about which ones have been tested and recommended for use with it.

Perhaps as parts become cheaper they can start selling at a profit without upping the price tag, otherwise I don't see reliance on increased software sales as a winning strategy.

9 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

That's the thing, really. Most people buying one are already going to be hardcore Steam users. It doesn't go far enough for the console crowd, who don't want to mess about with performance settings for each game or worry about which ones have been tested and recommended for use with it.

Perhaps as parts become cheaper they can start selling at a profit without upping the price tag, otherwise I don't see reliance on increased software sales as a winning strategy.

My friend who has one only buys games off steam when they are really low on price too, full price is for his ps5. I think lots are like that as prices can be brilliant. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

No one's ever bought an Ouya without asking themselves the same question.

I was really tempted to buy one when it was originally out because it looked like an interesting machine, but never had the money to. I think I've dodged a bullet. 

Been going back on to Switch online to play the N64 games. I had the console but I bought a cheap second hand one to mainly play wrestling games as games were so expensive, psx games could be copied and Dreamcast soon came out. So I hadn't actually played any of the games on here except MK64. F Zero X is amazing, some will dislike the graphics but the gameplay is so slick, any death is basically your own fault. I'm also enjoying Ocarina of time, which has some odd controls (mainly due to a switch controller) but it looks good and characters are fun. 

• Paid Members
On 3/21/2022 at 3:35 PM, Onyx2 said:

Retro Recipes is such a good channel. Especially for a C64 fanboy like me. 

They did some great streams over lockdown as well. Really chill. He's got a great voice for audio books. 

• Paid Members

Picked up the handheld Evercade for £60 at Game today. It was the Premium pack with 3 cartridges: The Atari Collection 1, Namco Museum 1,and Interplay Collection. They also had the C64 mini for £30. I obviously ended up in there explaining about how the keyboard doesn't work to the staff, because I'm sure videogame store staff love being told how the products they sell in there work. It looks like fun. There are some decent looking carts for it as well, and I'm sure I heard there's an SNK collection coming. 

4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Picked up the handheld Evercade for £60 at Game today. It was the Premium pack with 3 cartridges: The Atari Collection 1, Namco Museum 1,and Interplay Collection. They also had the C64 mini for £30. I obviously ended up in there explaining about how the keyboard doesn't work to the staff, because I'm sure videogame store staff love being told how the products they sell in there work. It looks like fun. There are some decent looking carts for it as well, and I'm sure I heard there's an SNK collection coming. 

£60 is a good price, funstock who are blaze's sister company are charging £100 now. 

Had the chance to play it yet? 

• Paid Members

Not yet. I've got a few more packs on the way as well. The second Namco one, the Technos one, and the DataEast one. 

• Paid Members

I hear they're good, but the keyboard doesn't work so you either need to use an external USB keyboard or type with the joystick as if you're putting in a high score. 

9 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

or type with the joystick as if you're putting in a high score. 

"Dearest Martha, I am composing for you on this glorious summer's day a most sincere letter on my home computer, using only a humble joystick for input. Companions warned that such a herculean task might become arduous, but my dedication 4 u is unltd. Rsvp. Lyvm. J"