Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

sorry, I meant Beneath, haven't started on Beyond yet.

I've warmed to the voice acting thanks to Lamb and a couple of security guys, and just the regional accents all over the place, it's just the main character and robot that I find quite tedious. I had a decent run at it yesterday, inasmuch as I've managed to get into Lamb's apartment now, when I'd been solidly baffled by things a good four or five steps before that for a long time.

 

5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Beneath is one of those games I often return to, thinking I'm older and therefore wiser and I'll do way better this time. Bollocks will I. Bloody thing gets more difficult every time.

The apartment area is fun. The travel agent/insurance salesman are great and the music is an absolute earworm.

I’ve played through it a few times now and I always forget how to do the bit with

Spoiler

the putty and lightbulb socket. Last time I did it in the wrong order and blew myself up.

 

Posted (edited)

Everyone is drooling over this right now because it plays PS2 and Gamecube well (but not all games) at under £200. You can even run Windows on it.

 

Edited by Merzbow
  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Double post but..

 

I did this when I last went to Arcade Club.

Sounds like the Intellivision Amico is in even more trouble right now. Tommy Tallerico is out as CEO and a new guy has come in, but it sounds like he's still dealing in snake oil. They've registered for a fourth crowdfunding campaign on another funding site called Startengine where they've had to also submit ALL of their paperwork. Long story short appears to be that they're $7million in debt, and need to try and raise $5 million on this crowdfunding in order to be able to get a further $5 million from somewhere else, to try and keep the company running for 9-10 more months. There was also a report about a deal where they'd taken a loan from somebody to cover manufacturing costs, and agreed to pay the loan back using $100 from ever Amico sold until such a point as the loan was repaid, which means the first 6500 units they sell won't even turn a profit for the company as it'll all go to covering costs. The price of the unit is now looking like it'll be between $250-350 as well, according to this week's CU Podcast.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Earthbound and Earthbound beginnings have turned up on Switch Online SNES & NES. They're great games fill of character, but my goodness are they grindy. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Earthbound and Earthbound beginnings have turned up on Switch Online SNES & NES. They're great games fill of character, but my goodness are they grindy. 

I'm guessing Beginnings won't have the "Easy Ring" in it?

  • Paid Members
Posted

I had a ROMhack which gave you double XP that I used to play on my old PC, and it was still hecka grindy then, so I dread to think how bad it must be without that on. I might give it another crack, but I'll either get bored of grinding or find that it turns into a spreadsheet rather than a videogame and lose interest 

  • Paid Members
Posted

That's right up my avenue, that. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

That looks bloody lovely. I've got the point 'n' click one and it's gorgeous, but the interviews in it are really samey and repetitive. That one looks worth it just for that two page SOR2 spread. 

EDIT: and just saw the two pages of Altered Beast sprites, fuck. I'd have that framed.

Edited by BomberPat
Posted

I'm surprised they have given Sailor Moon a couple of pages but it's a great little game, in fact there were a few good games for the series but I don't think we ever got them here.

One of the fighters has become a cult hit within the top end players.

Posted
16 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I had a ROMhack which gave you double XP that I used to play on my old PC, and it was still hecka grindy then, so I dread to think how bad it must be without that on. I might give it another crack, but I'll either get bored of grinding or find that it turns into a spreadsheet rather than a videogame and lose interest 

I'd be well up for a Nintendo remaster that removes the grind, kind of like they've done with some older Square Enix RPG re-releases. I enjoy the story, and certain elements, of Earthbound; but like you, I find the grind intolerable. I want to complete it, but...ugh. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
24 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'd be well up for a Nintendo remaster that removes the grind, kind of like they've done with some older Square Enix RPG re-releases. I enjoy the story, and certain elements, of Earthbound; but like you, I find the grind intolerable. I want to complete it, but...ugh. 

Ironically I always tend to over level when I'm playing Pokémon, but I usually do it as something while I've got some background noise on to distract me. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Ironically I always tend to over level when I'm playing Pokémon, but I usually do it as something while I've got some background noise on to distract me. 

Funnily enough, I do that too. I didn't mind doing it in the handheld version of Final Fantasy VI either, given that I could do so while watching something. It kind of became a strangely relaxing background activity. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...