The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

The lengths some people will go to. I do remember seeing, but not watching, an 11 hour video essay of somebody getting pissy about a Jenny Nicholson video essay, and apparently there's a 14 hour Jim Cornette on Cody Rhodes in AEW omnibus coming sometime soon as well. I don't think I'd have the attention span for something of that duration, not least because I don't tend to get that much time to play something. Mind you I have managed to sit through some of the This Is How You Don't Play videos, and they can get quite long. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
Just now, TildeGuy~! said:

Ah yes the DSP ones… 

Nothing will ever beat EvilAJ2010’s original Metal Gear Solid ones.

It's a rabbit hole I've found myself sucked into in between binging Allison Pregler's Baywatching.

There are some brilliant ones of EvilAJ beating him at Street Fighter. 

The KOF XV one will be short. He was enjoying it when he got the game at first and playing people around the same rank as him, but as they all started playing in private lobbies and leaving him behind in the rankings because they knew how the game worked he extended the opponent search to play against all ranks, got bodied by a former EVO champion and rage quit the game, crying that it's not a "proper fighting game" like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. This lasted 6 days. 

• Paid Members

If you've got the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass they've added three new Megadrive games. 

Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, and Super Fantasy Zone. 

On 3/10/2022 at 10:39 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Further to the Ninja Turtles announcement it's been said that the 2 coin op ports, Hyperstone Heist and Tournament Fighters will have online. I presume they mean the port of the SNES version. 

@Merzbowsome movie ports were pretty awesome. The Data East Robocop arcade game, and the Ocean ports for home computers were good.There were also some really good Batman games on micro and console, but there were also plenty of games where the developer would just shoehorn characters from the movie/show into a generic looking platform game. I would guess a lot of that is due to time constraints and movie studios wanting to have a game out around the time the movie is due to release. TV/comic tie-ins tended to fare a little better because there wasn't necessarily as much of a rush to get them into the shops. 

I'll stop before I get into Konami/Capcom/Sega etc licenced arcade brawlers again. 

Useless facts of the day

Robocop the Arcade was sublicensed to Data East from Ocean, who had got rights during script development. 

Some people will swear blind that the home version was made into the arcade game and not vice versa as a result of this. 

Also and on and on and Ariston :)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Version1.0 said:

I just bought an Ouya, that's considered retro now, right?

I guess so. I hear it does some decent emulation. I'm not sure there are a whole lot of games for it though, unless it just hooks straight up to the Google Play Store.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'm watching emulation on the Steam Deck and God damn I need one, not only is it playing the most recent games like Elden Ring great but retro consoles look amazing on it.

My mate has one he says it's brilliant and tells me to get one but even if I could afford it I bet it wouldn't come for another 12 months 

7 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

My mate has one he says it's brilliant and tells me to get one but even if I could afford it I bet it wouldn't come for another 12 months 

Yeah that's the problem, they're not a mass market system even if they coming from a company as large as Valve. It's a niche product, they're probably losing money on each system too with all that tech at under 500. I'm sure I've even heard them say as much.

Edited by Merzbow

Valve think they’re clever selling them at a loss knowing they’ll eventually get their money back through Steam purchases but we’ll see who’s the clever one when I spend £500 on one and only play Football Manager games, that I already own!