The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Was on the 3DS too.

I remember buying it, but being disappointed with it compared to the Mega Drive version I played previously.

Somewhere between the release of the original and the CD32 version they obviously lost the Penguin licence, but rather than just changing the penguin sprites for something else they totally rebuilt the game. The original can be finished in about 5 minutes by going through the secret exit in the first level and heading straight to the last boss, 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

There was a Nintendo direct yesterday, and one of the things they announced was a new tier of the Switch online service which added in N64 & Megadrive games. They're also releasing an N64 controller, and a Megadrive controller. The Japanese Megadrive controller will be the 6 button (the greatest controller of all time) while the not Japanese version will be the traditional 3 button controller. Obviously one of the Megadrive games is Streets Of Rage 2. I bet it's better emulation than the dodgy port of the mobile version on the latest round of the Megadrive collection. It's a shame M2's ports of the whole trilogy weren't ported to the current generation of consoles. Those Sega Vintage Collection compilations on PS3 and 360 were great. 

Really looking forward to the N64 games. I had an N64 but it was my secondary console as I could just easily pirate ps games so only had the wrestling games and few others like 1080 and wave racer. So would like to play the Zeldas, Mario 64 and hope 1080 comes out. I quite like the 9 initial games but am curious on the cost per year. 

Didn't have a mega drive although have a few games on the evercade so will enjoy giving them a go. 

• Paid Members

I'm looking forward to giving Sim & Punishment a look. I've heard good things about it. Assuming I can tear myself away from Streets Of Rage 2. I keep meaning to grab 4 on Switch, but the DLC doesn't seem to be out for it yet. I wonder whether it's to do with the weekly survival mode. 

8 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Really looking forward to the N64 games. I had an N64 but it was my secondary console as I could just easily pirate ps games so only had the wrestling games and few others like 1080 and wave racer. So would like to play the Zeldas, Mario 64 and hope 1080 comes out. I quite like the 9 initial games but am curious on the cost per year. 

Didn't have a mega drive although have a few games on the evercade so will enjoy giving them a go. 

I hope they’re as diverse with the Megadrive game selection as they have been the SNES and NES game selection, I can’t think of any Sega releases from that era that haven’t been re-released numerous times as part of the many Megadrive collections over the years. 

As far as the N64 goes, I’m looking forward to playing Paper Mario when that eventually comes out, it’s the one game in the series I’ve never actually played. 

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I hope they’re as diverse with the Megadrive game selection as they have been the SNES and NES game selection, I can’t think of any Sega releases from that era that haven’t been re-released numerous times as part of the many Megadrive collections over the years. 

As far as the N64 goes, I’m looking forward to playing Paper Mario when that eventually comes out, it’s the one game in the series I’ve never actually played. 

Yeah the Sega one is a bit of a nothing in you have a collection. The Castlevania bloodlines is a good addition. I'd like master system games myself on top. I do think they would have been better adding game boy games rather than mega drive. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Yeah the Sega one is a bit of a nothing in you have a collection. The Castlevania bloodlines is a good addition. I'd like master system games myself on top. I do think they would have been better adding game boy games rather than mega drive. 

The Megadrive ones are the actual ROMs of the originals so should play a lot better than the dodgy mobile ports on the latest Megadrive compilation. 

• Paid Members

The collections are usually ports. Some of the older ones were done my M2 who also did the Sega Vintage collection sets. There's a Streets Of Rage one, a Golden Axe one and Toejam & Earl one and one that has Alex Kidd, Super Hang-On and Revenge of Shinobi. They also did the ports of the Megadrive games and Sega Arcade games that ended up being released on the 3DS,and I think the ones on the Switch as well. If I remember correctly the latest round of the Megadrive collection was done by the devs that did the mobile ports, and they suffer from things like dropped inputs, buggy AI etc. They're not great ports. I remember there being some consternation about why it was these people doing the ports as opposed to M2. I played through the first Streets Of Rage on the PS4 collection with Mrs Jazzy for the first time in a while, and we had an unusually easy time because the enemies weren't behaving the way they usually do. Likewise, I picked it up on Switch when it was massively discounted in a sale (I mostly play Columns on it) and when I do try and play through Streets Of Rage 2 I struggle with dropped inputs. The best versions so far are the 3DS version (the 3d is really good on it) and the standalone XBox 360 version, although the Sega Vintage Collections are really good and have a wealth of features as well. They let you play the Japanese versions, which is a godsend for the third one as Sega of America ruined it with their changes, and the challenge modes are a lot of fun as well. I actually managed to 1cc SOR2 for the first time on the challenge mode. I don't think I'm ever going to manage to make it through on Mania like the pros do, though. 

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is finally (back?) on GOG. It's one of those games so fondly remembered but was left to rot by whoever owned the IP, even when sequels were coming out the original was seemingly ignored.

On 9/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

The collections are usually ports. Some of the older ones were done my M2 who also did the Sega Vintage collection sets. There's a Streets Of Rage one, a Golden Axe one and Toejam & Earl one and one that has Alex Kidd, Super Hang-On and Revenge of Shinobi. They also did the ports of the Megadrive games and Sega Arcade games that ended up being released on the 3DS,and I think the ones on the Switch as well. If I remember correctly the latest round of the Megadrive collection was done by the devs that did the mobile ports, and they suffer from things like dropped inputs, buggy AI etc. They're not great ports. I remember there being some consternation about why it was these people doing the ports as opposed to M2. I played through the first Streets Of Rage on the PS4 collection with Mrs Jazzy for the first time in a while, and we had an unusually easy time because the enemies weren't behaving the way they usually do. Likewise, I picked it up on Switch when it was massively discounted in a sale (I mostly play Columns on it) and when I do try and play through Streets Of Rage 2 I struggle with dropped inputs. The best versions so far are the 3DS version (the 3d is really good on it) and the standalone XBox 360 version, although the Sega Vintage Collections are really good and have a wealth of features as well. They let you play the Japanese versions, which is a godsend for the third one as Sega of America ruined it with their changes, and the challenge modes are a lot of fun as well. I actually managed to 1cc SOR2 for the first time on the challenge mode. I don't think I'm ever going to manage to make it through on Mania like the pros do, though. 

That PS4/Xbone/Switch collection is an odd one, the same interface with the 3D bedroom is used on the Steam collection but that has the actual roms instead of ports. You can even inject other roms in the place of the originals to play games not legally included.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

there's a lot of stuff either newly added or heavily discounted just being added to GOG for their anniversary sale - well worth checking out, especially if, unlike me, you haven't already religiously checked every weekly sale and downloaded every game you were playing in 1998.

I picked this up recently - The Art of Point-and-Click Adventure Games | Bitmap Books

The interviews get very samey, and most don't offer much in the way of insight, but the artwork is gorgeous, so it makes for a great coffee table book. It's given me a long list of games I need to either get round to playing, or to replay, too.

I've never really been into books too much but I've been collecting nice coffee table style ones over the past few years. Most of them are retro gaming, arcades etc. The subject matter just gives itself to some spectacular visuals and really interesting interviews etc. I find myself backing a lot of projects on Kickstarter for that sort of thing. They generally end up being great quality and a lot of effort goes into them. Read Only Memory do some excellent ones.

Other than books I think the last one I backed was a history of arcades documentary which I'm looking forward to seeing.

14 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I've never really been into books too much but I've been collecting nice coffee table style ones over the past few years. Most of them are retro gaming, arcades etc. The subject matter just gives itself to some spectacular visuals and really interesting interviews etc. I find myself backing a lot of projects on Kickstarter for that sort of thing. They generally end up being great quality and a lot of effort goes into them. Read Only Memory do some excellent ones.

Other than books I think the last one I backed was a history of arcades documentary which I'm looking forward to seeing.

Andrew Fisher and Chris Wilkins are names I look out for, they both put together some sterling work and in Chris' case has as far as I know removed The Laird's shite from any of his works. 

Recently read US Gold and Ocean stuff and was capitvated. 

I do have to mention that I used to write for Chris' Retrofusion Website aeons ago as a way ofd eclaring conflicts of interest.