The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Went to fix my parents roof and while I'm there they said they'd be clearing some stuff out and found 'some of your old games' I'm now giddy with excitement at firing these up. 

IMG-20210725-WA0006.jpeg

The n64 with No Mercy in it is clearly the winner.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, marc2j said:

The n64 with No Mercy in it is clearly the winner.

Even after all this time if you'd asked me what cart would be in it I'd have had a 50/50 chance of guessing between no mercy or goldeneye. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Are there two different types of Dreamcast there, @chokeout? Could just be the angle but one looks more square while the right one looks more rectangular.

Merzbow is right, just the angle because of the plug. Both are first gen, bought at launch so I'd be shocked if the both still work. Might look at getting one modded with an optical drive emulator. Just going through and changing the internal batteries on everything. Gamecube is up and running already 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'll always love it for Super Monkey Ball. Wasted many hours with those pesky balls.

The Super Monkey Ball collection on Switch will be good.

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'll always love it for Super Monkey Ball. Wasted many hours with those pesky balls.

I spent many an hour on that. I seem to remember to getting it from Toys R Us for £9.99 and was very much worth it. I picked up that and Star fox Adventures, I was probably the the only person who liked that game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Zool is back, Sumo Digital have set up a student development team and I think this is their first release. It's looking like a pretty nice little rerelease.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1647730/Zool_Redimensioned/

Edit: not five minutes after posting I see there's an Amiga Mini coming out!

spacer.png

A solid line-up so far, but I really hope it contains more point-and-click adventure games. Simon the Sorcerer is OK, but the sequel is far better. I'd love to play Cruise for a Corpse again, or Curse of Enchantia. 

For nostalgia reasons, I'd love to see Pushover or Oscar on the machine. I'm not sure how likely it is that they could land Syndicate, Cannon Fodder, Lemmings or Populous, but they'd also be on my wishlist. 

(Given that Cannon Fodder is appearing on the Evercade, you'd have to think there's a chance of that making an appearance, at least?) 

The press release mentions it'll be possible to "side-load your own games via USB stick with full WHDLoad support and an array of options to choose from. Plus, save and resume your game at any time to help you finish those punishingly-difficult classics", which is super news. Looking forward to playing Neighbours The Adventure Game (the point and click one, not the shitty skateboarding one) on the big telly.

16 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Interesting that they use to controller from the CD32 for it. I wonder what games it'll have. 

You know, that hadn't even registered with me. I predominantly played my Amiga with a joystick, but I've no idea how I'd feel about that way of playing now. I'm so used to using a gamepad that I suspect it would feel quite unnatural, particularly for a game like Zool in which, if I remember rightly, pushing up was how you jumped.