The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Robocod was huge at the time, I think because they chucked the demo (probably the santa themed levels) on every magazine they could so it was in high demand for christmas

My lasting memory will always be Joe Micros, the tiny computer game shop in Rhyl, not having any copies and tricking everyone's mums into buying old copies of James Pond and telling them it was Robocod. They were notorious for not giving refunds, which led to quite a few angry dad's kicking off. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Maybe there should be a James Pond Summer Games challenge to see who can do the 100m flap in the best time.

If I wiggle my controller any faster than that the stick will fly off. 

I used to have this on the Mega Drive and it's not bad tbf. It's not California Games but for a little collection of minigames you can do much worse. According to Wikipedia (I know) this was the last Amiga A500 game released. James Pond 3 which came after this was AGA and CD32 only.

amigaconfig-crop-2204270951-01.png

On 4/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, FelatioLips said:

Rick Dangerous

It's not good is it? By this point I'm quite accustomed to offensively difficult platformers but this is right up there as one of the worst offenders. It's not so much even the traps or enemies themselves, but that the hitboxes are so bad you'll die to things not even touching you. 
I won't be too harsh on it as you can tell there's a decent game stuck in there crying to get out. It's a little bit Spelunky in both looks and presentation but suffers from a trial and error game style.

I used to be able to get really far in this game, and I've no idea how. Either my ability as a gamer has gone backwards, or I'm just not used to playing a game with limitations as great as this one has. Fuck me though, it's a struggle to get through. 

• Paid Members
Just now, RedRooster said:

I used to be able to get really far in this game, and I've no idea how. Either my ability as a gamer has gone backwards, or I'm just not used to playing a game with limitations as great as this one has. Fuck me though, it's a struggle to get through. 

I'm the same with Mega Man 2. I can absolutely breeze through that game because I used to play it daily growing up. Give me any other Mega Man game though and I can't do them.

6 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm the same with Mega Man 2. I can absolutely breeze through that game because I used to play it daily growing up. Give me any other Mega Man game though and I can't do them.

It's funny you should say that, as Mega Man 2 is the only game in the series that I can handle. Even the newer ones are a bit of a struggle for me. I'm not sure why, as I'm generally pretty good at hard-but-fair modern platformers. 

• Paid Members

If it's the game I think it is then it's a visual novel type thing where you're helping the managers and staff and I think there are options to remance the other characters. I don't think you get to actually play any of the arcade games. 

Has anybody been keeping up with the Sonic Origins pre-order debacle? 

49 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Has anybody been keeping up with the Sonic Origins pre-order debacle? 

I waited for a full moon before placing my order, which I think means I get all three primary colours in the game, but only because I chose the Red Inclusive Edition.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I waited for a full moon before placing my order, which I think means I get all three primary colours in the game, but only because I chose the Red Inclusive Edition.

My favourite part of it so far is the “extra music” in Sonic 3 & Knuckles you pay extra for everyone assumes must be the original Michael Jackson music but it turns out is apparently music from some of the spinoff games you can listen to in the museum. So now nobody knows if the OG music is even in it as opposed to the dull PC port music.

I thought they were going to be proper remasters at first, looking like Sonic Mania but it's just the original games with the ability to play at higher resolutions?

Edit: Even worse from Sega is that they're delisting other versions so in the future you'll only be able to buy Origins.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I thought they were going to be proper remasters at first, looking like Sonic Mania but it's just the original games with the ability to play at higher resolutions?

From what I've gleaned these versions of the games are based on the mobile versions which were made by Christian Whitehead, or some of the other Sonic Mania devs instead of them making Sonic Mania 2 (It seems Sonic Mania 2 was axed because the first game had the audacity to review and sell better than Sonic Forces, and how dare some fans manage to make a better selling Sonic game than Sonic Team), so these are HD & widescreen ready, with some quality of life updates. I think you might be able to play as Knuckles in Sonic 2 as well. Sega are going all George Lucas about these "definitive" remasters, and removing the majority of the other versions of the Sonic games on console and PC apart from the Sega Ages releases of the first two Sonic games on Switch and 3DS (as long as the 3DS e-shop is still open), and the versions of the first three Sonic games on the latest versions of their many, many "Ultimate" Megadrive/Genesis collections.

My guess is that they're popping Sonic 3 & Knuckles on there because I think some of the stage music gets changed from the Michael Jackson music to other original music which is better than the music on the PC port of Sonic 3.

The "Classic music" thing is, as @FelatioLipsmentioned just music from other Megadrive games to listen to while you're doing stuff in menus.

The coin thing sounded interesting, being able to unlock some museum content etc, but it was worrying how it's presented to look like an in game micro-transaction currency. I'm also not a fan of them carving features from the game out to try and sell as DLC as well. I would probably have paid £20 for the collection so I can remember that I'm nowhere near as good at Sonic when it's running at 60Hz as I was when it ran at 50Hz 30 years ago, but I'm not paying £40, especially not for games I own almost as many times as I do Streets Of Rage 2 (or Street Fighter 2).

• Paid Members

From what I’ve seen/understand from baffling tier of versions they’re releasing, Letterbox Widescreen is locked behind one of the upgraded versions. You can play as Knuckles in all games including 1.

They went full Ubisoft with it.

FE740A07-A986-48E8-B985-F9205530EC3B.webp

• Paid Members

Knuckles in Sonic 1 is so broken in places, unless they've fixed it by changing some of the levels. It's "climb to the highest part of the level and glide to the end" in some of the earlier zones. It'd be possible to fix these things without rendering the game unplayable as Sonic. 

They did go pretty Ubisoft on it, but also a little further as well. Buying the deluxe edition so you can have character animations & camera controls on the main menu, and so you can have some pretty pictures in the bars at the side of the screen when you're playing in 4:3 as opposed to wide-screen? I know they can hide behind the tired old "it's only cosmetic" argument, but it's pretty egregious.