The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Sorry I’m late with the N64 controller chat, what controller are people using to play emulated N64 games? I’m using the 360 controller at the moment but it has a weird problem with analog stick deadzone where even when you let go, it’s still nudging in one direction. Dunno if it’s specific to my controller, the 360 controller or what. Any reccos welcome. 

8 hours ago, hallicks said:

Sorry I’m late with the N64 controller chat, what controller are people using to play emulated N64 games? I’m using the 360 controller at the moment but it has a weird problem with analog stick deadzone where even when you let go, it’s still nudging in one direction. Dunno if it’s specific to my controller, the 360 controller or what. Any reccos welcome. 

Depending on you emulator you can edit the deadzone, up it a little until it stops moving on it's own.

• Paid Members

Turns out Pacman Museum+ is £18.99 on Switch, which is probably why the $30 physical edition wasn't on Amazon UK. I'll own it at some point, I'm sure. 

£15.99 on PS4. I found this link where you can pick it up for $6US on the Turkish XBox store. If this is legit then I'm in for a steal this afternoon. 

https://www.xbox-now.com/en/game/17005/pacman-museum-month-1-edition

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Congo's Caper is one of the SNES games just added for Switch Online members, and it's caught me by surprise with how good it is. Club-swinging platform action with multiple routes through levels. Worth a try if, like me, you'd never heard of it.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Turns out Pacman Museum+ is £18.99 on Switch, which is probably why the $30 physical edition wasn't on Amazon UK. I'll own it at some point, I'm sure. 

£15.99 on PS4. I found this link where you can pick it up for $6US on the Turkish XBox store. If this is legit then I'm in for a steal this afternoon. 

You still have an Xbox Jazzy? The Pacman Museum went up on Gamepass.

• Paid Members

I don't have gamepass.

That Turkish XBox store deal is less than a fiver, but it asks you for a billing address if you pay by card, so I may pick up a voucher at the supermarket this afternoon and see what else is in the sales.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, Merzbow said:

Depending on you emulator you can edit the deadzone, up it a little until it stops moving on it's own.

Turns out the deadzone control was in the preference pane for the 360 driver. Hurrah! 

On 5/28/2022 at 1:43 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

I've picked it up on Switch, and while it's definitely fun, you don't actually get all of the games to play from the start, which is a really ill-conceived idea. You have to play certain games twice to unlock other games, and while this might not sound like a huge deal, it means playing some of the weaker games to a point of conclusion - for example, if you play the game, then quit to the arcade (where you can select a game) this doesn't appear to count as a "play" (unless I'm doing something wrong) - you have to conclude the game in question. So if you have to play, for example, Pac-in-time (a platformer) twice, you have to die and lose all of your lives in that first run, then play it again from the start. It's really stupid. 

I played a little on Gamepass and did better on Pac-Land than I ever did as a kid, it's still a weird clunky platformer (tapping the direction instead of just holding it!?!) but it's charming with it's own depiction of Pac and the ghosts.

I have a real soft spot for Pac-Land. I remember playing that in the arcades when I was a kid far more than any other Pac game.

Another one - similar to Pac-Man - was Lady Bug, which the hotel we always stayed at had in their basement pool room. It was a weird table version. Always started off easy and ended up driving me absolutely insane.

24 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I played a little on Gamepass and did better on Pac-Land than I ever did as a kid, it's still a weird clunky platformer (tapping the direction instead of just holding it!?!) but it's charming with it's own depiction of Pac and the ghosts.

How the hell do you jump over the swimming pool?? I die there every time. 

• Paid Members

Pac-Land was like a cross between a regular platform game and Daley Thompson's Decathlon. There's a really good game in there somewhere but the controls are unbearable.

Now, Pac-Mania? That was great.