The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
On 5/8/2022 at 7:56 PM, BigJag said:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/may/06/forty-years-of-joystick-waggling-the-glory-of-multi-sport-video-games?s=08

Comp Pro was my choice of stick. A Zip stick was too loose. It lacked the three stage firmness settings of the Competition Pro. 

We had the Cheetah 125, I also picked up The Bug joystick as well, but the one I remember most fondly was my Quickshot Maverick 1 with the two buttons. Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga had an option for a 2 butting controllers you could have punches and kicks. There was a little switch that'd let you use it on an Amstrad as well. 

320px-QS128F.jpg

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

We had the Cheetah 125, I also picked up The Bug joystick as well, but the one I remember most fondly was my Quickshot Maverick 1 with the two buttons. Street Fighter 2 on the Amiga had an option for a 2 butting controllers you could have punches and kicks. There was a little switch that'd let you use it on an Amstrad as well. 

320px-QS128F.jpg

This was my Joystick of choice (the bug was also pretty good) Speedking - Sega Retro

Which reminds me of the worst one we had. It was this one by far image.jpeg.ef25ed29cbb6839581f57ba6735fff86.jpeg

• Paid Members

I never could decide if I liked or loathed the N64 controller. Certainly a unique design, more akin to the controls in the cockpit of an alien spaceship more than anything else. But on games like Mario Party your hands would be blistered up to unhealthy degrees (like during the raft mini-game for example try to keep the dingy on course) with the endless palm-rotations. 

Mario Party was endless fun. I never did get all of the x-amount of stars required to complete it but for sheer replay value and with a few friends round, endless fun. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

I never owned an N64, so never got to the point of accepting the controller - I played it in Argos in Hull, playing StarFox and not even being able to find one of the buttons, which turned out to be the trigger on the back, and then a couple of years later round a mate's house, playing GoldenEye and Mario Party. Main memory of that was my hands being blistered and torn to shreds from Mario Party, so it's not a controller I look back on fondly, compared to how people who actually owned it seem to feel.

As a rule, I tend to assume that Nintendo know what they're doing when it comes to controllers, even if they look mental at first, so I assume it actually worked brilliantly once you got used to it, I could just never get my head around it.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I never owned an N64, so never got to the point of accepting the controller - I played it in Argos in Hull, playing StarFox and not even being able to find one of the buttons, which turned out to be the trigger on the back, and then a couple of years later round a mate's house, playing GoldenEye and Mario Party. Main memory of that was my hands being blistered and torn to shreds from Mario Party, so it's not a controller I look back on fondly, compared to how people who actually owned it seem to feel.

As a rule, I tend to assume that Nintendo know what they're doing when it comes to controllers, even if they look mental at first, so I assume it actually worked brilliantly once you got used to it, I could just never get my head around it.

It works for certain games, but only really N64 exclusive titles and even then it was hit and miss. PlayStation had a far superior controller. 

The game cube controller was a bit bonkers looking but was actually fantastic 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

@jazzygeofferz My KoF book just arrived and it's an absolute thing of beauty. Can't wait to get stuck in this evening.

image.png.2a1130320f8ff66062298c306171f5ce.png

image.thumb.png.ff7cd736fb9de584a2dcd6ef56bcc282.png

Oh damn, I thought they weren't shipping until Monday. I might have to look and see whether they've got any left when I get paid next week. 

• Paid Members

Pacman Museum+ comes out next Friday on PS4/5 XBox Series One X, PC, and Switch. It has 14 Pacman games on it, and looks like it'll be about £30. Physical copy on Switch is £27.93 on Amazon. Ms. Pacman isn't on here because there's some legal thing to do with her where Bamco are too cheap to pay out royalties for it, so they're trying to either wait until the current rights holders lose them, or force them to fork them over. I'll probably end up owning this on something at some point, but will probably hold out for a sale because there's Cowabunga Collection, Shredder's Revenge and Capcom Fighting Collection coming out in the next couple of months as well. If Pacman Battle Royale has online it could be fun. It'll be interesting to see how they get Pac & Roll working on XBox as well, unless it's going to use Kinect. Here's a trailer: