The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

33 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I got an Evercade for Christmas, not played it for a prolonged period but enjoying it up to now.

I love my Evercade, although I had to return the first one I got as the cartridge slot was so tight the game I bought would not come out.

There are so many great, slightly obscure titles being given a second lease of life on this console and given how cheap it is and how cheap the games are it’s an essential purchase for any retro game fan.

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

The Astro City Mini from Sega came out last week in Japan. No word yet on international releases. GameSack did a review and said it was one of the best minis he played. I'd imagine it'll cost a fair bit to get one imported though. 

18 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I love my Evercade, although I had to return the first one I got as the cartridge slot was so tight the game I bought would not come out.

There are so many great, slightly obscure titles being given a second lease of life on this console and given how cheap it is and how cheap the games are it’s an essential purchase for any retro game fan.

I heard that a few people complained regarding the cartridge slots and a few revisions were made to the console. Currently working my way through Earthworm Jim and then will start on the Dizzy collection.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Bought my eldest the 2020 reissue Game & Watch. It's a nice little handheld and she's starting to really get into it. Plus there's the added bonus of me and my wife being able to play it when she's doing something else! 

I had a Donkey Kong game & Watch when I was a kid. No idea where I got it but it was great. I swapped it for this absolutely shit football handheld just because it was football. It didn't bother me much at the time because I was just a football obsessed kid but years later I'd think about it and die inside.

A memory that's just come out of nowhere, I remember swapping my Meccano with my Cousin for a Speak and Spell one Christmas. What a fuckwit.

8 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The Astro City Mini from Sega came out last week in Japan. No word yet on international releases. GameSack did a review and said it was one of the best minis he played. I'd imagine it'll cost a fair bit to get one imported though. 

They’re available fat prices ranging from £125 to £200 on eBay. I’m tempted, but I’m a bit worried even thinking about plugging it into a UK socket would fry the circuitry and I’m not entirely sure what I’d need as far as a voltage converter goes, or what price I’d be looking at paying for one.

• Paid Members

Yeah. I think it's probably a better idea to wait and see whether they decide to stick something out internationally. Although that'd probably depend on how well it did in Japan. Its a little ridiculous that this is the only way we can play Revenge Of Death Adder without having to emulate or hunt down the coin op/board. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yeah. I think it's probably a better idea to wait and see whether they decide to stick something out internationally. Although that'd probably depend on how well it did in Japan. Its a little ridiculous that this is the only way we can play Revenge Of Death Adder without having to emulate or hunt down the coin op/board. 

You’re probably right, although it sounds unlikely enough to happen that I would import one at the lower end of that price scale if I felt sure that I wasn’t immediately going to destroy it. 

Sega are excellent at porting certain titles from generation to generation but yeah, there are games like Death Adder, Knuckles Chaotix and Panzer Dragoon Saga that are in danger of becoming inaccessible in the future (legally, at least) - it’s a real shame.

• Paid Members

Why is Driver 2 so fucking hard?

Absolutely loving the RG351p. Such a nice little handheld to use, and it's running most things pretty fine. I will, at some point, play around with the firmware and try and boost it a bit, but I'm enjoying just going back to stuff. Bomberman 2 is a huge amount of fun, and Wario Ware Inc is the most ludicrous little novelty. Really fun.

But yeah, the Driver games - only the second one is included, but it's a brilliant game. But Christ, it's difficult.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Why is Driver 2 so fucking hard?

Absolutely loving the RG351p. Such a nice little handheld to use, and it's running most things pretty fine. I will, at some point, play around with the firmware and try and boost it a bit, but I'm enjoying just going back to stuff. Bomberman 2 is a huge amount of fun, and Wario Ware Inc is the most ludicrous little novelty. Really fun.

But yeah, the Driver games - only the second one is included, but it's a brilliant game. But Christ, it's difficult.

The first game had an almost unbeatable tutorial, so many people never got past it.