The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

The pre Persona 3 games are worth a punt if you have access to a PSP or Vita, Persona and Persona 2 Innocent Sin were remade/ported to the PSP and are still available on PSN.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (kind of sequel to IS) is only available through the US PSN though and only the PS1 version. The PSP version was sadly never localised.

Also Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 on PS2 are excellent JRPG's.

All are much more traditional than other games in the MegaTen franchise. The Digital Devil Saga games in particular are much closer to Final Fantasy (more story focused and party based, no demon recruitment) than classic MegaTen or modern Persona.

49 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I can definitely see why people wouldn't like those elements but they're why I like the games, ever try the other MegaTen games like Nocturne? That's getting a remaster and should be worth a look.

No, I’ve not even heard of it but I’ll check it out. I actually really enjoyed the social elements in Persona 3, but when it came to Persona 4 it felt a little repetitive, and the game itself felt too similar for me.

5...I probably didn’t give it a fair crack of the whip. The story had potential, but the fact my PS4 fan sounds like a jet engine screaming through a megaphone, coupled with the knowledge there was that social system put me right off. 

@The King Of Swing - I have a Vita and I absolutely love it. I’ll look into it. I regret not making the effort to create a US PSN account before they started removing the stronger PS1 games, but I’m sure I’ll be able to pick some of these up.

Edited by RedRooster

The original Persona's battle system hasn't aged particularly well imo (pretty sluggish and Persona recruitment is a bit boring from memory) but it's setting and story set it apart from pretty much any other JRPG from the time.

Also if you take a very particular route early in the game you unlock a completely different story known as the Snow Queen Quest which replaces the regular story, very easy to miss if you don't know about it before hand. Never had the time to try it but it's apparently more of a dungeon crawler.

Fuck it I might have to boot my Vita up soon.

There's a notorious localisation of the original PS1 version that completely cut the Snow Queen Quest and basically butchered the game.

Innocent Sin is probably a better overall game though.

Edit.

Actually I don't think you recruit Persona in P1 but get cards off them or something and use those cards in fusions. Ugh been ages since I played it.

Edited by The King Of Swing

Yeah the Persona soundtracks are all excellent, they usually each have a very distinct style and genre attached to them. I still can't get some of the songs from 4 outta my head, gonna replay it soon as it's come out on PC, finally.

If you've got a 3DS then Bravely Default is a must, very much follows the style of early Final Fantasy's with it's setting and job system but has a bunch of modern things like speeding up battles or turning the random ones off if you just want to get from A to B, it's super customisable.

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

If you've got a 3DS then Bravely Default is a must, very much follows the style of early Final Fantasy's with it's setting and job system but has a bunch of modern things like speeding up battles or turning the random ones off if you just want to get from A to B, it's super customisable.

Just bought this on eBay, thanks for this. Out of interest do you have a 3DS or 3DS XL? I’m flirting with the idea of upgrading to the latter because of the larger screen size. Anyone out there have an opinion on whether it’s worth it?

• Paid Members

I think the New 2DSXL is what you anted. It's cheaper and lighter because it didn't have the 3D stuff in, but apart from that it's identical to the new 3DSXL in terms of specs.

3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think the New 2DSXL is what you anted. It's cheaper and lighter because it didn't have the 3D stuff in, but apart from that it's identical to the new 3DSXL in terms of specs.

Thanks, I didn’t even know this existed. Is the larger screen worth the upgrade, or would you suggest it’s of minimal benefit?

I really liked having the bigger screen of the XL but it's really not a needed extra. The "New" consoles come with a second analogue stick like thing which helps with some games and there's a few exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles but there's not much of an upgrade there.

• Paid Members

You get a bigger screen, I can't imagine there'd be a big difference in price between a "standard  size" New 3DS and a New 2DSXL, but you definitely need to grab one with the "New" monicker, as they're more powerful than the original, and there are a lot more options in terms of digital download eshop/virtual console stuff. Also I hear Xenoblade saga might be right up your JRPG alley, and only runs on the New3DS family of consoles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Another round of old SNK games is avaailable to claim through Prime Gaming now.

Also I discovered today that this month is the 35th anniversary of the release of Ghosts & Goblins.

Sega have "exciting" news about Sonic's 30th anniversary. Hopefully Dixie Carter isn't working for Sega.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/sega_cant_wait_to_share_exciting_news_about_sonics_30th_anniversary

Does anyone here own or has anyone owned a 32X? 

I’ve flirted with buying one for years, mainly because I want to play Knuckles Chaotix.

I’m well aware that the game library for it is tiny, but if I were to buy one, what games would you recommend (outside of, y’know, the one I just mentioned)? Or would you advise me to avoid it completely?