The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I love me some Outrun, but I loved how much more stuff there was in Outrun 2006 on PS2/PSP. The port on the Saturn was good, but it's hard to recreate the arcade experience with a Controller or joystick. 

I’m very much in the mood to play Final Fantasy VI. I’ve never actually completed it, although I came close to it on the GBA before my save file corrupted (turned out if inadvertently bought a bootleg cart from a third party seller on Amazon)

Anyway, any recommendations on the best way to experience this game? I’m surprised that it hasn’t ended up on Switch in some form.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I’m very much in the mood to play Final Fantasy VI. I’ve never actually completed it, although I came close to it on the GBA before my save file corrupted (turned out if inadvertently bought a bootleg cart from a third party seller on Amazon)

Anyway, any recommendations on the best way to experience this game? I’m surprised that it hasn’t ended up on Switch in some form.

If you can easily find a SNES Mini Classic, it's definitely on there as I've got one. Can't honestly state whether or not it's the 'best' way to play it, but it might be relatively accessible. I know the console was out of stock for a long time but I believe they came back in not too long ago.

• Paid Members

There's a port for the PS1 with new opening cinematic and some bugfixes. Graphically it's still the same. It was pretty cheap when I bought it, but that was disk only in an independent game shop during one of my "I can play JRPGs" phases that didn't involve a pokemon game. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
On 6/6/2020 at 11:06 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I started playing Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap today. Again. It's still a fantastic game but the bosses were all absolutely solid, weren't they? The one you have to kill as Mouse Man is fucking ridiculous especially.

As a kid I could get nowhere on this game, it was far too hard and confusing for me. Fortunately I was able to get quite a lot of fun out of it once I learned about the infamous WE5T ONE 0000 0000 cheat code from one of the Sega magazines of the time.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

As a kid I could get nowhere on this game, it was far too hard and confusing for me. Fortunately I was able to get quite a lot of fun out of it once I learned about the infamous WE5T ONE 0000 0000 cheat code from one of the Sega magazines of the time.

It's knowing which armour and shields and swords to buy. I'm completely stuck on the boss at the end of the Lion Man level because I bought a sword that some stupid walkthrough suggested I buy and it takes about half an hour to kill it with it. It's a great game but bloody hell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So having made an impulse purchase of a CRT TV for my ps2, I'm trying to remember what is the best connection method. The red, yellow, white cables or scart - does anybody have any idea?

I git rid of my perfectly working CRT and original ps2 years ago and regretted it. Saying that when this one turns up I'll probably regret it when I see how big these things are again.

5 hours ago, iMPACt! said:

Thanks. It looks like they are not that easy to come by (quite a few on Amazon but reviews confirm they are not RGB scarts despite being advertised as such). Found one website selling them for £25 however.

Yeah your best bet is to get a good new third party cable made especially for the more hardcore retro scene, they're often expensive as they're kinda niche and small-batch.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, iMPACt! said:

Thanks. It looks like they are not that easy to come by (quite a few on Amazon but reviews confirm they are not RGB scarts despite being advertised as such). Found one website selling them for £25 however.

retrogamingcables.co.uk should have what you need.

Thanks @Merzbow for the input and thanks@scratchdj, I had actually just ordered one from eBay before I saw your message. That was very kind of you to offer. Will see what turns up from my order and how good it is.

@BigJag thanks for the recommendation of that website however it appears they are all sold out. One does say that it is in stock, but there are no options when selecting the cable length stopping you proceeding, so I'm guessing that is also actually out of stock.

I'm definitely a classic case of binning stuff and regretting it years later. Might just be nostalgia though as the wife was less than impressed when I told her that I'd bought a big bulky old TV haha!