The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

PeriFractic does some great stuff on his channel. Did you see the Lego 1541 disk drive he made to put his microSD card in?

So my CRT arrived. Hooked up the PS2 and the picture looks great and it is amazing how responsive it is with no lag.

A 14 inch screen is much smaller than I remember from my childhood but that's clearly because we were used to smaller TVs back then.

I do have one issue though that I totally forgot about. The high pitched sound that constantly comes off these TVs! I don't know how we put up with it and it is driving me slightly crazy. I would have thought with being older and my hearing being goosed I wouldn't hear it but nope there it is still high pitched, might have to just use this with earphones.

Another bonus aspect is DVDs look how they are meant to so putting on some WCW footage from the WWE DVDs looks tremendous. Hogan's god like tan in all its glory.

41 minutes ago, iMPACt! said:

I do have one issue though that I totally forgot about. The high pitched sound that constantly comes off these TVs! I don't know how we put up with it and it is driving me slightly crazy. I would have thought with being older and my hearing being goosed I wouldn't hear it but nope there it is still high pitched, might have to just use this with earphones.

I bought a CRT TV fairly recently and I genuinely haven’t noticed this. I’d actually forgotten it was even something CRT TVs did. My hearing must be terrible these days 😐

10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I bought a CRT TV fairly recently and I genuinely haven’t noticed this. I’d actually forgotten it was even something CRT TVs did. My hearing must be terrible these days 😐

I actually could have hearing aids as my mid range tones (which most people speak at) is quite a bit under but for some reason my lows and highs are ok, which must be why I can still hear it. I can also just hear those things people put in their garden for cats to scare them off. 

Such a bizarre sound to try and get used to again. For some reason I feel I can still hear it just now even although the TV has been off for a few hours. 

What screen size did you get RedRooster? I wish I could have got something bigger but there were none locally and no way people could post them.

10 hours ago, iMPACt! said:

I actually could have hearing aids as my mid range tones (which most people speak at) is quite a bit under but for some reason my lows and highs are ok, which must be why I can still hear it. I can also just hear those things people put in their garden for cats to scare them off. 

Such a bizarre sound to try and get used to again. For some reason I feel I can still hear it just now even although the TV has been off for a few hours. 

What screen size did you get RedRooster? I wish I could have got something bigger but there were none locally and no way people could post them.

Same size as you. I don't even know how I would go about finding something bigger to be honest, it was hard even to find this one. 

Still though, there's something beautifully nostalgic about playing on a CRT again, and in the case of my Master System, tuning the TV so that I could play it and finding that sweet spot where it's tuned to exactly the right frequency.

Getting to play a PS1 game without it looking like shit (well, no less shit than a PS1 game is supposed to look) is also nice. I'd been totally put-off playing Chrono Cross, for example, on my region-free PS1 because it just looked terrible on a modern TV.

So apparently Nintendo had a breach a while back, and some of the stuff that came out has been cracked. One of the things was the code for Luigi in Mario 64, which was a planned thing but they dropped it before release. 

https://nichegamer.com/2020/07/25/luigi-discovered-in-super-mario-64-source-code/

Also some uncompressed audio from Star fox 64/Lylatwars

• Paid Members

My apologies if it's not the best thread to ask, I've got a retro pi running but it's with a cheap PS2 controller and it's got terrible lag.

As I'm looking to replace it what's generally considered best to give most comfortable coverage for PS1, N64 and back?

I’ll echo the love for 8bitdo pads, I use the SF30pro which is the same as the plus but without the grips at the bottom (so it’s form factor is more like a slightly deeper SNES controller). Great controller very comfortable and reliable.

The difference between the SN30 and the SF30 is just button colour, so go for the SF30 if you want to avoid the American purple colour scheme.