The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Remember when John Cena said he couldn’t play XBox games because his massive hands couldn’t work the controller? 

I really want to see him try and play one of those Game Gear Micros. 

What an awful idea though, let’s take something small and make it even fucking smaller

You'd think they'd just do a handheld Game Gear mini. There were some decent games on it. 

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

sega-ggmicro-1-1280x720.jpg

Yeah.. better than nothing but it's still a bit shit, each has four games and you need to buy them all to have every game. I doubt they're very playable at that size.

Afaik, this isn't the 'announcement' 

Mini Game Gears are pointless! a reshelled hand held with all games would have been better Game Gear had some stonking games, that weren't MS ports. 

Sadly, with this announcement I think the big one is going to be pants now, wounded 

• Paid Members

Shinobi on Game Gear was completely different from the arcade port that was out on everything else. Some of the GG Sonic sequels were decent as well. Obviously Columns would be on there, was Golden Axe Warrior a GG exclusive or was it a Master System port? 

That’s not their major announcement today, it’s a cloud service for Japanese arcades to let people play the games at home. Pointless for us, and sad that they are looking at cloud services but not for us to play their existing back catalogue.

• Paid Members

There's nowhere else for them to go though, surely? I feel like for so many years we've had so many consoles and mini-consoles and handhelds released for the 8 and 16-bit systems that surely they've completely covered that market now. Plus there are plentiful places you can access catalogues of games unofficially. I can't see what else they could release or announce that would be of interest.

Totally agree, they have the Saturn and Dreamcast library but I doubt demand for that would warrant the costs involved - storage size and processor requirements would end up putting unit costs far higher than the other ‘mini’ units out there currently.

• Paid Members

Emulating the Saturn is supposed to be tricky, plus why would you want to "celebrate" consoles that werd seen as failures at the time they were out? 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Emulating the Saturn is supposed to be tricky, plus why would you want to "celebrate" consoles that werd seen as failures at the time they were out? 

Because they've become something of a hidden gem as a result. A curated selection of the best games can be looked back upon as neglected classics, rather than just allowing the vagaries of the market of 20-25 years ago to have decided that they were failures.

Despite being very much a Sega kid, I don't think I've ever played a Sega Saturn. There's got to be a bunch of games on there that I'd love and never even knew. I didn't get a Dreamcast until the 2010s, and loved a lot of the stuff on there. With Shenmue getting re-released and Shenmue 3 getting a lot of hype, why not revisit the console as a whole?

A "Dreamcast Mini" with Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, ChuChu Rocket, Seaman, Space Channel 5, and House of The Dead, would be a great bit of kit.

20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Because they've become something of a hidden gem as a result. A curated selection of the best games can be looked back upon as neglected classics, rather than just allowing the vagaries of the market of 20-25 years ago to have decided that they were failures.

Despite being very much a Sega kid, I don't think I've ever played a Sega Saturn. There's got to be a bunch of games on there that I'd love and never even knew. I didn't get a Dreamcast until the 2010s, and loved a lot of the stuff on there. With Shenmue getting re-released and Shenmue 3 getting a lot of hype, why not revisit the console as a whole?

A "Dreamcast Mini" with Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, ChuChu Rocket, Seaman, Space Channel 5, and House of The Dead, would be a great bit of kit.

Mini Saturn with Sega Rally, ManxTT,, Resident Evil, Nights, Virtua On, Sonic 3D, Bomberman, Sonic R, Panzer Dragoon Saga, House of The Dead, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Virtua Fighter Remix, Burning Rangers and Sega Ages amongst others would go down well. 

It's to do with the double processor as to why emulation is a pain in the arse if memory serves. 

Sega has so much to tap into, shame to see it wasted. 

Wasnt the Master System a flop everywhere bar Europe or is my brain failing me? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Mini Saturn with Sega Rally, ManxTT,, Resident Evil, Nights, Virtua On, Sonic 3D, Bomberman, Sonic R, Panzer Dragoon Saga, House of The Dead, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Virtua Fighter Remix, Burning Rangers and Sega Ages amongst others would go down well. 

It's to do with the double processor as to why emulation is a pain in the arse if memory serves. 

Sega has so much to tap into, shame to see it wasted. 

Wasnt the Master System a flop everywhere bar Europe or is my brain failing me? 

They still do the Master System in Brazil. 

33 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

They still do the Master System in Brazil. 

Tec Toy are usually great guns, millions of different revisions of Master System and Megadrive. 

Russia had some great clones, and  new games coming out a decade or so ago for most Sega stuff. Not sure if still the case. They also liked the Binatone and Prinztronic (Dixons) Pong clones and dupes. Sold a fair few that way when they turned up at Car boot etc